Great Cheap Ways To Make Your House Safer Hunt

Comments

• save-a-lot
    save-a-lot Posts: 2,809 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi

I have been looking around on this subject and I have found some good general advice...

curteousy of here - http://www.senatetraining.co.uk/burglary+reduction.html - a snippet of an article about reduction of burgulary
    Statistics show that properties with little security are 15 times more likely to be burgled than those with good security.

The good news is that it doesn’t take much to secure your house – and put off thieves.

Safety checklist

• I’ve checked that all the doors and windows are locked – even if I’m just popping out for a minute.

• I’ve fitted deadlocks to all outside doors. (Burglars hate them because you need a key to open them from the inside as well as the outside.)

• I’ve made sure the deadlock key isn’t in an obvious place.

• I’ve fitted key-operated locks to all the windows. (Burglars don’t like having to break glass because of the noise it makes and the risk of leaving forensic evidence.)

• I’ve installed a visible burglar alarm, and turned it on!

• My spare keys are not hidden outside, or in the garage or shed. (Burglars always look there!)

• I’ve left the lights and the radio on a timer for the evening (as little as £2 each from DIY shops) so that it looks like I’m in.

• Thieves can’t get into the garden - there’s a good fence, the side gate is padlocked (and it will take more than a good kick to get through it), and the shed is locked.

• I’ve made sure the TV, video and other valuables can’t be seen from the window.

• There isn’t any cash lying around.

• It’s dark outside so I’ve closed the curtains and left a light on while I’m out.

I have marked the common sense and cheap points in red

Phil
  • Are you at home now? Is it dark? Good. Go outside and look at your home. This is exactly as it should look when you are not there too! Look at the way the curtains are arranged, which lights are on, and what 'life noise' you can hear.

Timers are £3 at IKEA. Go buy!
  • Don't wait for the fire service if you haven't got an alarm there is no excuse fit one NOW. Less than a £5 on the high st, sometimes less than £4. Yes I'm a firefighter, yes I went to a fire recently where a whole family died.
  • Smiley_Mum
    Smiley_Mum Posts: 3,836 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Info from the website of BBCs Beat the Burglar series.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/insideout/southeast/series4/burglary_crime.shtml
    “Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.” - Oscar Wilde
  • One neat idea to persuade the burglar that next doors house is easier to break into.....is putting down a gravel driveway....if you cant afford that....how about gravel around the house especially near windows and doors.

the effect is mucho NOISE.....one thing any potential thief dislikes.......Gravel won't need replacing and cant go wrong in anyway so theres no maintenance.....also it is fairly cheap from your local garden centre so it makes good money saving sense.
    :eek: Omg I over-spend by That Much every month ? !!! :eek: :doh:,searching for ways to make ma money go mucho further......... :cool:
  • lapat
    lapat Posts: 816 Forumite
    get a dog £7 a week to feed
    need to have a lightbulb moment
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    from a fire safety point of view, although not the cheapest, i think these things seem absolutely fab

FIRE ANGEL
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • Carpet gripper screwed inside the fence near the top.
  • I work in the industry. Some tips on top of what has already been said.

1. Fit a burglar alarm. Single best thing you can do. There are wireless ones available from DIY stores such as Homebase and B&Q (£100-£299 depending on your needs). Worth every penny and you'll be amazed at how easy they are to install. I have this one: https://www.bt.com/homemonitoring, bought from these people: https://www.quicksafe.co.uk (got it from them because they supplied an external siren too). I've seen them on ebay too for under £100.

2. If you can't afford a burglar alarm, then at least buy a 'dummy' siren to go on the front of your house. They're 10-15 pounds from a local electrical wholesaler (CEF, Edmundsons, etc), take 5 mins to fit. Its all about making your property less appealing than those around you!

3. DON'T leave ANY keys (including car) in view of your doors. One major area of rising crime is people 'fishing' keys from your hallway using a rod and hook. I'm not kidding - it happened to my next door neighbour. They hooked the keys at 3am, used the front door one to steal a laptop, then took his car for a joyride, leaving it embedded in the side of a BMW on the other side of the city!

4. Get a fake bean tin. £2.99 from Wilkinsons. Looks like a real tin of Heinz beans but its hollow. Good for keeping keys in.

5. Motion sensing external lights. Again relatively cheap, and just one more thing to put someone off if they are snooping round the back of your house.

I may have more later.
    Named after my cat, picture coming shortly
  • A Fire Angel smoke alarm is really good and as the light it fixed to needs to be on for at least an hour a week to keep it charged (more if you have energy-saving bulbs) ideal to leave on to deter burglars. We have one in our teenager's room - due to the amount of electrical equipment in there - and as she is a devil for leaving her light on when she goes out in the morning it always looks as if someone is in and keeps the Fire Angel charged up. However the insistent low-battery cheeping could be a bit of a giveaway if you are away for a while.

An anti-burglar device on such as a kitchen window is a metal venetian blind. Not so easy to see in and a pig to get tangled up in. And don't forget good old net curtains for concealing your valuables from the outside (unless of course the light is left on in that room when they become totally transparent!) I also block off the kitchen door with a tall piece of furniture when I go away and hide all the keys. I did try to get a grille to fit the glass on the kitchen door but they were quite expensive and hard to find.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure