PPI Reclaiming Discussion part 4

edited 10 June 2010 at 3:07PM in Reclaim PPI & Other Insurance
27K replies 2.2M views

Replies

• amersall wrote: »
    As yours are credit cards, i think someone who has claimed these back already will guide you more on this.
    You really do not need to use the template as it is easier to write a few lines in your own words.
    I find the template very off putting, i am suprised that many use these, it really has you confused at the moment, i got all my wins with just a letter to the company, only one went to fos so only one headache with the template.

Thanks amersall!

I've posted this to you in Reclaim PPI & Other insurance, in the 'Help please - Egg and MINT' thread!!!

I wanted to put this here for others that have helped me and offered advice (as well as amersall!!) on this thread. I sent off the terms & conditions request letters (signed-for delivery), for Egg and MINT (credit cards) and Nationwide and Northern Rock (personal loans) this morning. We shall see what comes back, and when (I've stipulated 14 days from receipt of letter).

As a newbie, I think what really confused me was part of PPI reclaiming guide itself. I understood the 'pre-stage' if you like, where you ask for terms & conditions using the template listed. It fell down for me at Stage 1 (what does that say about me?!) 'write to the seller', because I saw 'contact the company that sold you the policy asking for a refund'. I expected a template letter, but found the template FOS questionnaire instead.

I became confused because I didn't realise the FOS questionnaire was that letter and your initial complaint. Whilst the guide does say this, I hadn't read it properly (I hold my hands up) and panicked when other forum members were talking about sending off a letter, rather than a questionnaire. I also didn't understand why an 8-week timescale was mentioned for complaints, because I didn't see the questionnaire as a complaint. I saw it as just that - a questionnaire!

Now I understand that the questionnaire is just an agreed format, and is your initial complaint. You set out your reasons for mis-sell in it etc, and they have 8 weeks to respond. I will fill it out once I get my terms & conditions (errrr, I hope I got this right?).

Question: What if they don't respond at all?

I understand what to do if they respond but state they've put your complaint on hold (you jump to stage 3).

Question: Must they explicitly state this wording in their letter?

If they respond but say it's been referred to another department or complaints section and an answer will be provided in x days, in acccordance with their complaints procedure, then I'll hold them to that and follow-up if necessary.

Anything else might be 'stalling' for time perhaps, and it would be in my interest to remind them of their complaint-handling procedure and timescales, and ask that they escalate?

I think it might be sinking in...maybe?!!!:o Thanks as always for everyone's patience.
  • di3004di3004 Forumite
    42.6K Posts
    Footiemad wrote: »
    Hi Di

Great minds think alike;) Yes, I will keep strong and positive, no news is good news!!! Fingers and everything else crossed for the both of us and anyone else in the same boat:(

LOL, cheers hun:D;) and that's right.

Hopefully it will not be that much more of a wait, fingers crossed Xx:A
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
  • Hi all,

First post so be gentle.
    Just wanted some general advice really.
    I took out a loan with a company called Beneficial Finance, I though was a reputable company affiliated with HSBC who I banked with at the time. Took the loan out on 15th October 2005. Was told that the loan would not be accepted unless I take out the PPI which I did.

Through subsequest financial difficaulties and missed payments my account has now ended up in the delightful hands of Restons Solicitors. Who now take the amount of £150 from my employer before my salary is credited each month.

So my questions are this -
    1. Am I too late? I have followed the proceedure on this wonderful site and have written to HFC (as beneficial are now known) and they have replied saying we are looking into and waiting for a judgement of some sort?
    2. Has anyone had any sort of success with HFC? As I note they appear in the list on this website for companies who have gotten into trouble over loans taken out in the period mine was.
    3. Should HFC accept and acknowledge the mis-selling of this PPI do I have a case that I might not have gotten into such financial difficaulties and ended up owing money to Restons Solicitors.

Origingal Loan - 5700
    Now outstanding with Restons - 6300 bearing in mind this is 6 years later.

Any help anyone can give would be so so appreciated!!

Help a Moneydingbat in need!!

Sorry this has been such a long first post!!!
  • edited 12 April 2011 at 7:34PM
    amersallamersall Forumite
    17K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 12 April 2011 at 7:34PM
    Hi all,

First post so be gentle.
    Just wanted some general advice really.
    I took out a loan with a company called Beneficial Finance, I though was a reputable company affiliated with HSBC who I banked with at the time. Took the loan out on 15th October 2005. Was told that the loan would not be accepted unless I take out the PPI which I did.

Through subsequest financial difficaulties and missed payments my account has now ended up in the delightful hands of Restons Solicitors. Who now take the amount of £150 from my employer before my salary is credited each month.

So my questions are this -
    1. Am I too late? I have followed the proceedure on this wonderful site and have written to HFC (as beneficial are now known) and they have replied saying we are looking into and waiting for a judgement of some sort?
    No you are not too late, banks are waiting for the jr to have an outcome.
    2. Has anyone had any sort of success with HFC? As I note they appear in the list on this website for companies who have gotten into trouble over loans taken out in the period mine was.
    There have been wins with this company.
    3. Should HFC accept and acknowledge the mis-selling of this PPI do I have a case that I might not have gotten into such financial difficaulties and ended up owing money to Restons Solicitors.
    Hopefully you will get a good result. There are a lot of people who have got in difficulties with ppi increasing monthly payments and the underhand way this was sold.When you get a reply, post on here and we will take it from there.
    Fingers crossed for you

Origingal Loan - 5700
    Now outstanding with Restons - 6300 bearing in mind this is 6 years later.

Any help anyone can give would be so so appreciated!!

Help a Moneydingbat in need!!

Sorry this has been such a long first post!
  • Hi folks,

Apologies if this has been covered earlier in the thread but there are over 700 pages of it so I wasn't too keen on checking it all!

I was sold Mortgage PPI by The Mortgage Shop when they were setting up my first mortgage for me 4 years ago. At the time I thought I was just buying 2 policies - life insurance and home insurance (both with Legal and General) but recently realised that there are 3 monthly payments to L&G from my bank account - the 3rd is for MPPI. I receive renewal updates every year for the other 2 policies but I have never once received a single piece of paper work from L&G regarding the PPI.

How should I go about claiming I was missold this? Do I start with L&G or The Mortgage Shop? If I get to the stage of the Ombudsman, is my complaint against L&G or The Mortgage Shop since it was them who did the sneaky selling? I'd love to get this claimed back as I've been paying £21 a month for 4 years for something I didn't even know I had and don't need. That's £1008 down the drain!

Any help appreciated,

Kel
  • Hi All
    I would like some info on claiming back PPI on a Debenhams store card taken out in Feb 2003 please.
    According to card company the PPI was taken out after the card was opened and it was done by a telephone call to me. I cannot remember this conversation at all. I did not even know I had PPI till someone pointed it out to me on the statements, it is down as "Acc [email protected] per £100 Bal"

I have read alot of threads on this site but cannot find much aout GE Money although I beleive they have been fined in the past.
    So my questions are
    1. who do I contact
    2. should I ask for paperwork first and do I send £1 or £10 cheque for this info, or should I just do the questionaire.
    3. Can't find if they were regulated or not in 2003.
    4. Has anyone been successfully with this company.
    Santander have taken over it now and I am trying to claim the chargs back as well but they don't seem to want to play ball.

Just had a thought should I be writing to Debenhams not GE or Santander?
    Many thanks for you help
  • di3004di3004 Forumite
    42.6K Posts
    Hi folks,

Apologies if this has been covered earlier in the thread but there are over 700 pages of it so I wasn't too keen on checking it all!

I was sold Mortgage PPI by The Mortgage Shop when they were setting up my first mortgage for me 4 years ago. At the time I thought I was just buying 2 policies - life insurance and home insurance (both with Legal and General) but recently realised that there are 3 monthly payments to L&G from my bank account - the 3rd is for MPPI. I receive renewal updates every year for the other 2 policies but I have never once received a single piece of paper work from L&G regarding the PPI.

How should I go about claiming I was missold this? Do I start with L&G or The Mortgage Shop? If I get to the stage of the Ombudsman, is my complaint against L&G or The Mortgage Shop since it was them who did the sneaky selling? I'd love to get this claimed back as I've been paying £21 a month for 4 years for something I didn't even know I had and don't need. That's £1008 down the drain!

Any help appreciated,

Kel

Hi Kel and welcome

May I suggest you post this one in regards of Mortgage PPI in a separate thread, so Dunstonh can see this one and will be able to give some useful advice on this one.
    Its similar to what I know of as making a reclaim for loan ppi but dunstonh will have the right answers on this for you.

Stay within these reclaiming threads but start your very own by giving the subject name of Mortgage PPI help required.;)

Good luck x;)
  • edited 13 April 2011 at 12:20AM
    di3004di3004 Forumite
    42.6K Posts
    edited 13 April 2011 at 12:20AM
    fathersday wrote: »
    Hi All
    I would like some info on claiming back PPI on a Debenhams store card taken out in Feb 2003 please.
    According to card company the PPI was taken out after the card was opened and it was done by a telephone call to me. I cannot remember this conversation at all. I did not even know I had PPI till someone pointed it out to me on the statements, it is down as "Acc [email protected] per £100 Bal"

I have read alot of threads on this site but cannot find much aout GE Money although I beleive they have been fined in the past.
    So my questions are
    1. who do I contact
    2. should I ask for paperwork first and do I send £1 or £10 cheque for this info, or should I just do the questionaire.
    3. Can't find if they were regulated or not in 2003.
    4. Has anyone been successfully with this company.
    Santander have taken over it now and I am trying to claim the chargs back as well but they don't seem to want to play ball.

Just had a thought should I be writing to Debenhams not GE or Santander?
    Many thanks for you help

Hi and welcome

First of all as long as you have the reclaim number and know you are or were paying PPI, and have your reasons for being mis sold, then you can therefore continue to make a reclaim by completing the reclaiming questionnaire = this replaced the template letter on this site, or you can of course still write a letter of reclaim in your own words instead of using the questionnaire if you want to.

My son was sold a store card in Burtons in about 2007, and his statements were from GE Money, so he wrote to GE Money and they forwarded it on to Santander, so I do think either one will be ok, but if you can post by signed for recorded delivery.
    They have 8 weeks to give a decision.

Going on to the paperwork, you can optionally request for your data, for just the copy of the agreement, this costs £1 cheque or postal order, ask them to supply by 12 days.
    (Please be aware though, if the account is no longer active, they may not any longer hold this actual agreement), but if you do request A Subject Access Request (SAR) they must comply and send all data going back to the last 6 years at least, they may however still hold details going back earlier.
    And as you know its £10 cheque or postal order, and they have 40 calendar days.

There is a full SAR template letter on link below, you can tweak to your requirements if you want to.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1475553

Remember though all this is optional and as stated above you can still continue to make a reclaim.

Just like any other business there have been success and others not, but keep at them.
    I am not sure if these were regulated as such in 2003, but you could contact the Financial ombudsman service (FOS) who should check and let you know, and they will then possibly advise of another direction as they have done with others, such as pursuing the underwriter/insurer instead. They will explain the procedures if it comes to this, but there are ways around it.

Good luck x;)
  • di3004 wrote: »
    Hi Kel and welcome

May I suggest you post this one in regards of Mortgage PPI in a separate thread, so Dunstonh can see this one and will be able to give some useful advice on this one.

thanks for the help di! I looked at the other threads in the forum and found one similar that Dunstonh was posting on so I directed my question there.

all the best! Kel
  • di3004di3004 Forumite
    42.6K Posts
    thanks for the help di! I looked at the other threads in the forum and found one similar that Dunstonh was posting on so I directed my question there.

all the best! Kel

Hi Kel

and your most welcome.

Good luck with your case.;)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco Clubcard rule tweaks

Be careful when converting points to Cineworld

MSE News

£148 of Ciaté nail polish for £35

Via its Advent calendar (norm £59 delivered)

MSE Deals