February 2009 Grocery Challenge

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.6K replies 123.9K views

Replies

• russetredrussetred Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    That's me declaring at £291.93 for February.Really pleased as that's another boost for the holiday fund.I've still got the freezer half full which i reckon gives me around 23 meals so only another 5 to find plus lunches, brekkers and odds.I think I'll stick with £340 for March mrs M thanks.
    "Sometimes life sucks....but the alternative is unacceptable."
  • Baileys_BabeBaileys_Babe Forumite
    3.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not ready to declare for February as we use calendar months.

Please can I be put down for £300 for March.
  • MRSMCAWBER wrote: »
    Miss Liquorice..

Are you planning on having a go at growing your own spinach etc for the guineapigs?
    Would save you a fortune...sorry if I have missed mention of this...

I havent given it a go, no, but I'm not sure whether the spinach will survive living in a pot in a flat? The more I read the OS boards, the more I wish I lived in the middle of nowhere with miles of land around me. :rolleyes:

I'm not ready to declare for February yet, but if I could be put down for £105 for March - I can't decide whether to set my budget at £110 or at £100 so I'll go for the middle, and this will include all household/cleaning products, alcohol, food in and out of the house, and feeding the infamous pigs. ;)
  • Afternoon everyone!
    2 NSD in row :j

Dinner all sorted tonight -Toad in the Hole with HM Sausages, Mash & Broc. Apple Crumble for pud. That should keep DH happy

I really think/hope that bulk buying is going to be the solution I've been looking for to keep my Budget under control. I seem to have quite alot in but will need to get a few bits at the weekend, mostly fresh fruit and veg and meat.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 7 Member 022 :staradmin:staradmin:staradmin
    5:2 Diet started 28/1/2013 only 13lbs lost due to Xmas 2013 blip.
  • HI Can I declare at £440 for Feb:j:j:j:j:j

Reall pleased with this as its a lot less than I would usually spend

OOPS just noticed Im not on the list:confused::confused:

Can you add me please really need this to keep me on the straight and narrow.

£500.00 again for March please.

Dont want to push it yet so will stick with this figure .
    Feeding 6 Adults 1 Teen a 8 year old with hollow legs and a very fussy 5 year old. Also 3 cats and 3 fishies
    To include all Food,Toiletries and Petfood.
  • jtb2412jtb2412 Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Hi everyone

Have had a really high month for GC, going approx £80 over budget ! :eek: Part of this is due to stockpiling and partly due to forgetting the kids were on half term - why do they eat so much ! :rolleyes: :confused:

I think I'm going to go over to an annual budget as we're probably going to be spending a lot less during the summer when my fruit and veg grows :T and I'm less likely to chuck the towel in and punish myself if I go over a set monthly amount :o .

So, Mrs M, if you could kindly put me down for an ANNUAL BUDGET OF £3640 INSTEAD OF A MONTHLY BUDGETI'd be very grateful :D . Spending as at today's date is £643.46/£3640.

Good luck for next month everyone ! :beer:
    :jWeight loss to date 1st 11.5lb :j
  • Hi Mummyyof5

I will pop you on the March list..sorry for missing you -If things aren't in bold and pretty colours I do sometimes miss them when I am just scanning (then again I sometimes miss those in pretty bold colours too :p ).... if you notice yourself missing again at any time -just PM me and give me a kick ;)
    No problem Jtb..will swap you over,,,,
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • Hi there,

Ian here from HowTo.co.uk. I noticed that the link to "How to Feed Your Whole Family a Healthy Balanced Diet" that is posted at the start of the thread is inactive. We've since moved this book to a new home, http://www.howto.co.uk/wellbeing/quick-healthy-recipes/. I've alerted Rosieben of this change.

I hope you continue to find our book useful for your grocery challenges!

Thanks

Ian
  • I have also deceided annual is way to go for me with my shifts and bulk buying. My annual target is 3000.
    Yearly Grocery Budget - £100.77/ £3500. January Treats Budget - £11.80 / £100.
  • tessie_beartessie_bear Forumite
    4.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    hi....im done with feb now and started march...we had the other half of a big chilli made yesterday....tasted better today...oh made lovely garlic bread with a 10p reduced french stick from asda....we didnt have pudding much to the kids disgust...they are being dragged up....slightly off topic but if u go into [EMAIL="st@rbucks"][email protected][/EMAIL] and ask for a free coffee card they give u a little black wallet that entitles u to a free filter coffee after 2pm until april....not sure of exact date....i drank one today and it was ok...bit strong but hey...its free..

i tried the magic [EMAIL="st@r"][email protected][/EMAIL] drops on my patio windows today and it did a good job...all little finger marks gone for a bit...they will be back...

have a nice evening

tess
    onwards and upwards