February 2009 Grocery Challenge - Page 141

New Post Advanced Search

February 2009 Grocery Challenge

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.6K replies 123.9K views

Replies

• patentgirlpatentgirl Forumite
    920 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭
    Morning all havent posted this month but try to read thread regularly for inspiration just going to update Febs total gone over by £22

Mrs M can you please put me down for £300 for Mar running from 25 Feb to 24 Mar and will try harder to post more regularly good luck everyone in March
    January grocery challenge £150
  • FrugaldomFrugaldom Forumite
    6.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good morning all, just updating my spends for the end of this month as I'm not planning on buying anything else.

Annual total - £1,200
    Spend to date - £346.55

Looks a bit OTT and undo-able but the spend includes 3 x bulk orders of items that will last throughout the year (cleaning products, toiletries, cooking suaces, baking products etc) I have £853.45 left to last the next 10 months and, from this week onwards, will no longer need to spend £1.07 on a litre of milk because the new Ald! store opened in town and semi-skimmed is only 49p per litre! :eek: :j For now, my fresh milk bill has been halved. :T

Miss Liquorice - Have you space to sit a pot with grass seeds growing like they do for indoor cats? Even a small litter tray to grow a mini lawn indoors. I'm also planting extra greens in tubs for our GP and he's happy enough eating basic GP food as long as he gets his hay, fruit & veg daily.
    I reserve the right NOT to spend:
    The less I spend, the more I can afford!
    Now running Frugaldom as a lifestyle social enterprise and saving to build eco-cabins! :D
  • dreamingofmoneydreamingofmoney Forumite
    428 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Hiya
    Haven't read last couple of pages but would like to declare for feb at £248.27 I can't believe it i have come under yet again, a great big thanks to all who post as truly without all your bits and bobs i would npt be able to do this, so thats another £50 odd quid in the hol fund

Can i pleas be put down for another £300 please for March

Again Many Thanks to all

Dreamer
    Debt free date May 20. Now the Mortgage1 £53862.45/£ 0% starting daily interest £4.48/£
    MFW No. 140 £5400/£496
  • rosiebenrosieben Forumite
    5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    for anyone wanted to grow veg Lidl have a lot of gardening specials coming up week comm March 5th. They have - cold frame, mini greenhouse, grow tunnels, propagator kits as well as pots, tools and other useful stuff.

This isn't strictly GC so PenPen or Pink please feel free to delete ;)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • ReverbeReverbe Forumite
    4.2K posts
    I havent decided yet what I will pick for Marchs GCas Feb isnt over. I am not declaring until it is as you don't know what is going to happen or if you see some bargain when you are not planning to spend etc. Will be in touch Mrs M with what I am going for in March.
    What Would Bill Buchanan Do?
  • panambipanambi Forumite
    249 posts
    I would like to try with £200 for March again, please. This is from today, 26/02 till 25/03.

I have already had my "big" Asda online delivery today, came to £59.20 but this included loads of pasta (on offer at 2 for £1 until next Tuesday) which should last us at least for two months, plus enough flour, tins, oil, etc for this month. Milk I will buy in Farmfoods which I have found the cheapest, I tend to buy UHT skimmed which they do for 39p (much cheaper and tastier than Asda smartprice!) or 2l fresh milk for £1, cheaper than everywhere else!
    Also bought 1.5 kg suger in Poundland = £1, and
    £-stretcher had a pack of 18 toilet rolls for £2.99 or 2 packs for £5. Seemed very good price so I got the 36 rolls for a fiver.
    Also stocked up on stock cubes and packed lunch stuff for the month in B&M, £17.59. (my kids love the little mini snack dried fruit they do, 89p for a 12 pack.

So in total I have spent £81.99 of this month's budget - on the first day! :eek: But I only need to buy milk in the next couple of days and then should have at least a week of NSDs before I need any F&V again (making my own bread now and enough flour etc in for the month!).
    LBM 31/01/2009: £19,422
    Chrimbo crackers: £207.17/£510
  • nmlcnmlc Forumite
    3.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Afternoon all

February's budget is completely shot, I want TO DECLARE AT £410 budget was £350. I'm not to worried though as I know pre GC I was spending alot more. Mrs M please put me down for £350 FOR MARCH GC. I'll have another go! Have really picked up some great tips from all you lovely posters, by the way have just bought 2 x 1.5kg granulated sugar in Poundland for £2.00, and also found (after much hunting in our small town!) STARDROPS in Savers for 69p. I'm really impressed by the Whoopsies that so many people seem to be able to get, my local supermarkets don't seem to knock prices down that low - but yesterday had a bit of luck, the farm shop now does a bag of veg which is going out of date, I managed to get a small cauliflower, 4 carrots, 1 large onion and 4 parsnips for 50p. It's all perfectly edible.

Keep safe and well.
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
  • Hello everyone. I am declaring at £322.98 for Feb which is over my £300, but I'm still really pleased as it's a lot better than before GC.:j

DH has just been put onto 4 day week so really need to crack this more than ever now, things are going to be pretty tough:embarasse

Mrs M can you please put me down for £300 for march please

I Would just like to say thanks to everyone for their advice and support on here, Feb was my first month and I can honestly say this was invaluable. I've struggled to keep up with all the postings but have tried to catch up whenever i can.

Will need even more help this month, my first online shop arrived today and came in at £96:eek: . Going to have to knuckle down for the rest of the month, although do have a brimming freezer and cupboard. Also this did include ase of beer for DH... thought he could use a litte cheering up after his bad news. He's quite upset that the Company is in trouble as he has watched/helped it grow (bless) just hope things pick up soon.

Right off to sort my months meal plan now.

Take care everyone.
    Me, DH, DS(6), DS(2)
    Feb Grocery challenge £322.98/£300
    Aug Grocery challenge £109.86/£300
  • MummyEmMummyEm Forumite
    574 posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭
    My final for Feb is £420.90 so a little bit over my £400.00 target :cry:.
    Still much better than before though as we used to spend £450-500 a month.
    Was well on track but being poorly this last week really threw it all out.
    Have got a freezer full though so hoping that will mean a good start to March.
    MFW original end date £295000 | Nov 2039 | Dream End Date Nov 2025
    Current balance £198500 | End date April 2035
    Current OP level takes us to End date October 2032
  • GC81GC81 Forumite
    156 posts
    Hi everyone, I hope its ok if I join in with march's GC I've been trying hard for a while but feel I shall be more accountable if I declare it here.

Please can I be put down for a GC budget of £200 for March.

That is for myself, 7yo, 2yo (and a once weekly guest) Including all toiletries and cleaning products.
    I've just got a bigger freezer and started shopping at Mr/Mrs I and rest at Mr T, I now meal plan and write a shopping list (sounds simple but has made a huge difference to me) so I hope this will help me control this part of my finacial outgoing and reduce the amount of food we waste.