Does anyone bother with no claims protection?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
8 replies 754 views
Gooner71_2Gooner71_2 Forumite
27 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
More Than have come up with a good quote but its an extra £17 for "lifetime" no claims bonus protection.

I have >5yrs no claims - is it worth protecting or if I have an accident, should I just accept it and shop around for the bext quote next year?

Thanks for any advice...

Replies

• lisyloolisyloo Forumite
    27.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's a tricky one.

I think More than are quite good value for this, because the price is low and it's "lifetime".
    It's difficult because if you had a few accidents then it would be worth it's weight in gold, but if you don't it's wasted money.
    Bear in mind that if you have an accident (or serveral) that quotes elsewhere will be higher.

Personally I took it out but I think it was only £7 for me.
    I probably would take it but I think it's a marginal decision.

It's not a yes or no answer I'm afraid.
  • Redrum_2Redrum_2 Forumite
    898 Posts
    There's no doubt in my mind that you should definitely take it. Think of how much discount you're getting off your premium for those 5+ years of not claiming.

Now imagine if something happened to your car and you had to claim - your premium would probably shoot up by a couple of hundred pounds. Hard to just "accept", especially if it's preventable

I've protected my NCD for the past 3years - the way I see it is a small price to pay to protect myself from an even greater potential cost. I'd rather pay <£20 a year if it'll save me from a huge premium hike.

Even paying £17 a year over 10 years is probably going to be cheaper than what the rise in premium could be post-claim

Of course this is just my opinion, and ultimately the decision rests on your own attitude to risk. Hope that helps
  • Interesting viewpoint but I have been driving since 1988 and had not made a claim until 2003 when someone damaged my car in a car park. As I did not witness the incident, the claim went against me.

I also claimed in September 2005 but was not at fault - the insurance company recouped the costs....

Despite these two claims, I still have 5 years no claims and my quote for 2006 was £275 (excluding legal cover or no claims protection which I eventually added.)

The fact I have claimed really seems to have made no difference to my quote once I shopped around...
  • IMO it's worth it.

I've got 11 year's no claims. That's despite 2 non-fault claims in 2001 (on the same day - by the end the car was a write-off) and a fault claim in 2004 which never went through.

My insurance is £300 - without the no claims it'd be over £750.

Pay the £19 and be less anxious.

David
  • Protected no claims worked for me. 3 accidents in 2 years 2 not my fault. I would not be without it. My daughter has had an accident last week and her insurance renewal next month has gone up by £250 per year.

Louise
    Nobody is perfect - not even me.
  • heatherw_01heatherw_01 Forumite, Board Guide
    6.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think it is worth it too. My husband would have lost his no claims if he hadn't of has protection.
    I'm the Board Guide on Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • That's a great price imo, i'm 23 with 5 years no claims.
    To protect mine it costs £150+ per year!!
    I would have used my own initiative if someone would have told me to!
  • RichyRichRichyRich Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Of course it's dependent on your continuing eligibility to be insured with that company. Also, you have to remember that next year More Than might not be the cheapest.
    #145 Save £12k in 2016 Challenge: £12,062.62/£12,000.00 Beginning Balance: £5,027.78 CHALLENGE MET
    #060 Save £12k in 2017 Challenge: £11,03.70/£12,000.00 Beginning Balance: £12,976.79 Shortfall: £996.30:eek:
    This is the secret message.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides