Is this normal for brokers?

Options

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,060 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    At 9.1 Posts per day, it indicates that you are one of the most regular posters on the site. I'd assume that most of those posts are in an attempt to give people some good advice. There's nothing wrong with that!

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

"feisty" "advice" - bit of an oxymoron as far as these boards are concerned.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • feisty1
    feisty1 Posts: 1,487 Forumite
    Options
    feisty1., sorry mate but you seem to be getting a bit het up in all this. None of us want to give endless free advice, but until you speak to somebody and have spent at least a couple of minutes in discussion, how do you know you are wasting your time? quote]

Ian I agree with you, that is exatly what happens with all new clients, nothing is certain until it is in the bank. BUT this is not the point here........

Quote from OP "A couple weeks back I received an offer for the renewal of our mortgage deal from the Halifax but I was curious about something, so I rang the offices of a financial advisor I know to ask his opinion. Quote:
    To avoid any complications though I specifically asked him not to call the Halifax because my deal was already taken care of.

Well would you place yourself in this situation, apart from the compliance side, I would most certainly not be offering this type of service. Answering questions on business that had already been transacted by someone else!

I know the Halifax staff often lock the system when someone has only enquired regarding products and this can be reopened on request.....However if a new product has been aready been booked and processed by one advisor/csa, how could this product be reallocted under a different FSA No?
  • Ian_Griffiths_Halifax
    Options
    feisty1 wrote: »
    I know the Halifax staff often lock the system when someone has only enquired regarding products and this can be reopened on request.....However if a new product has been aready been booked and processed by one advisor/csa, how could this product be reallocted under a different FSA No?

Because the client is now receiving advice whereas he wasn't by going direct? This means that somebody else is to blame if there is a complaint. Also, they are retaining the client despite getting advice from eleswhere? Perhaps they are just grateful to keep the business.
    I am a Mortgage Consultant and don't like to be told what I can and can't put in a signature so long as it's legal and truthful.
  • ashleyk
    ashleyk Posts: 68 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I reckon they probably had my roll number from when I organised the mortgage protection insurance and they certainly have lots of my details on file.

Feisty1 clearly likes to argue and fight so I guess that's why he chose that pseudonym. Personally I am finding this discussion far from productive at this point and I don't appreciate Feisty1's repeated insinuation that I have somehow behaved unethically. Indeed it doesn't look like he has ever given me the benefit of the doubt on anything I have said despite not even knowing me.

For somebody who doesn't like giving free advice its ironic that he has so far posted 1170 times on this forum and presumably for free but maybe he was just arguing and trying to tear people down rather than being helpful. That would certainly appear to be the case in this instance. Back to work!
  • Leon_W
    Leon_W Posts: 1,813 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    ashleyk

I think 99% of brokers here would agree that what happened was below the belt and unacceptable so I would not be overly distracted by one dissenting voice.

The sensible approach (and if it were me) would be to explain the situation as it was and and offer you a cut of the deal. If you were getting exactly the same mortgage and the broker offered you cash back then you would atleast of considered this. Everyones a winner. I think 50% of something is better than 100% of nothing !

By being totally underhand he's lost maybe a cut of the introducer fee plus a satisfied customer. Not good business sense in my view.

Best of luck with your complaint.
  • koexelek
    koexelek Posts: 7,847 Forumite
    Options
    feisty1 wrote: »
    I know the Halifax staff often lock the system when someone has only enquired regarding products and this can be reopened on request....

Interesting how Halifax can lock it within seconds, but need about 48 hours notice to unlock it if the client wants to go via the broker instead :rolleyes:
    I am a Mortgage adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • unite79
    unite79 Posts: 392 Forumite
    Options
    A quick question WHY did the OP ring a broker to discuss the Mortgage deal he had set up - WHY NOT RING HALIFAX!!!!!
  • ashleyk
    ashleyk Posts: 68 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I didn't phone up to discuss the deal at all. I called to ask for a technical clarification on the difference between reserving a deal and actually confirming it.

The Halifax staff were telling me that as long as the deal was reserved it was quite safe and I could confirm when I like, allowing me to jump on a better deal if one arrived before the start date. The key facts paper work was saying the opposite.
  • unite79
    unite79 Posts: 392 Forumite
    Options
    A couple weeks back I received an offer for the renewal of our mortgage deal from the Halifax but I was curious about something, so I rang the offices of a financial advisor I know to ask his opinion. In the past he had organised our life insurance for us, so I thought he would be helpful.

Ohhhhh I see that makes sense, maybe I read it wrong....What I fail to understand is why if you were using the Halifax you would not ask them directly...
    Being a Layman - If I was buying a Sony Television from SONY, and wanted details about the Tele, I would Ring Sony - Not Comet or Currys - Maybe I am being perdantict - But I do agree the Broker has been COMPLETLY IN THE WRONG.
  • payless
    payless Posts: 6,957 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Think I might be a bit peeved if I had a call - saying .. I've done this direct ( without even asking you in first place ) but now need your technical clarification on a point... Although would like to think that the clients that want to keep would have come to me first anyway . I've had calls from clients taking direct deals and I've helped- but thats because I've suggested that they to do it that way.

That said I would not have had case re-input without clients knowledge- thats a dangerous game they are playing .
    Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as (financial) advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure