MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Would you sell a story on a mate for £20,000?

Options

Comments

• Family_Saver
    Options
    short term gain for long (and permanent) pain. Don't do it
  • mr-tom_2
    mr-tom_2 Posts: 131 Forumite
    Options
    No not a chance unless he agreed and took half the money himself.

Friends are people who you trust and who trust you. You may not see them any more, but by doing something like this, you risk losing all your friends because you tell them what an utterly disloyal person you are.
  • dronid
    dronid Posts: 599 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    valk_scot wrote: »
    I wonder what you'd do if they asked you not to spill the beans, but then turned round and sold the same story themselves for the same amount of cash?

Just thinking aloud.....;)

I'd be annoyed with them for not saying that they were going to do it f they said they wanted to keep it secret. If they told me they were selling the story for money that's their choice but I think they'd get more money by selling the follow up story to the big reveal.

Of course it's all quite tawdry and plenty of people sell their story in chunks with others revealing their private life in order to increase public awareness of it. Kerry Katona is living off it at the moment (and some orange food she found in her freezer:eek:)!

I could make it better myself at home. All I need is a small aubergine...

I moved to Liverpool for a better life.
    And goodness, it's turned out to be better and busier!
  • mr-tom_2
    mr-tom_2 Posts: 131 Forumite
    Options
    But then they wouldn't be much of a friend either...
  • englishmac
    Options
    No, I definitely wouldn't sell the story. I am a private person myself, I would not like it done to me. Some things are worth far more than money. The length of time since being buddies is irrelevant.

Anyone who sold a story about me would no longer be a friend. That is the risk you take if you tell someone your deepest, darkest!
    Cheap and cheerful. Preferably free. :T LBM - more a gradual rude awakening.
    DFD where the light is at the end of this very long tunnel - there, see it? Its getting brighter!! :o

DFW Nerd Club Member no. 946. Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts. :D
  • Mary_Hartnell
    Options
    Kerry Katona is living off it at the moment (and some orange food she found in her freezer:eek:)

I wonder how her children will feel reading/watching their mum's antics.
    Who is going to impose standards & mores in those households?

Put up job?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/oct/22/itv-television
  • bandraoi
    bandraoi Posts: 1,261 Forumite
    Options
    englishmac wrote: »
    No, I definitely wouldn't sell the story. I am a private person myself, I would not like it done to me. Some things are worth far more than money. The length of time since being buddies is irrelevant.

Anyone who sold a story about me would no longer be a friend. That is the risk you take if you tell someone your deepest, darkest!
    I think it's safe to assume you wouldn't appear on big brother though.

The sort of person who does appear on big brother has agreed to have their every action and utterance recorded and broadcast on national television. They are manifestly not a private person. Their aim in doing that is to become as notorious as possible.
  • DKLS
    DKLS Posts: 13,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    t.hatchett wrote: »
    REAL FRIENDS DO NOT COME AND GO IN LIFE THEY REMAIN WITH YOU FOR EVER, I WONDER HOW MANY REAL FRIENDS YOU HAVE GOT NOT MANY I BET

Cobblers: real friends do come and go in life due to various reasons, emigration, having kids, moving out of the area etc.

And FYI I have enough "REAL FRIENDS" for my needs.

Priorities and lifestyles change over time just like friendships. The friends I had in my twenties, are not the same as the friends I have in my 30s, I note the friends I have lost contact with the most are the ones who have become parents, we simply don't have anything in common anymore, hence why the friendship has drifted.
  • purplegaily
    Options
    Nope - not my style.

I'd never go on BB myself - got better things to do with my summer - Like work for a living. I don't begrudge anyone I know going on the program and making thier fortune - good for them for waiting in the queues for the interviews for days, and then sitting in the house being humiliated for weeks.

If I knew the 'funny/embarassing' story, then other people would as well, and they'd probably get in first by the time I wrestled with my conscience, and if noone else knows - there's probably a damn good reason for it.

I believe in Karma - and although I don't think I have many skeletons in my closet, there's things I'd rather the world didn't know.

What goes around, comes around
    Always on the look out for a bargain. :smileyhea Thanks if you've helped me bag one.
  • MrsFin
    Options
    In normal circumstances the answer would be NO and I completely agree with the comments about the value of friendship, etc. BUT if someone goes on BB then they must expect (and possibly want) every inch of their lives exposed for there own financial gain. I have no sympathy with anyone who goes on these shows. I have a family and a mortgage to pay - it's fair game if you ask me!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport