MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Would you sell a story on a mate for £20,000?

Options

Comments

• RedBooties_2
    Options
    I am inclined towards believing that anyone who watches, much less participates in, abominations like Big Brother (or X Factor, or Dancing on Ice or whatever other wish-wash is the 'entertainment' du jour) deserves anything they get. However, being serious for a moment...

Jesus, have you people heard yourselves?
    lapat wrote: »
    definatley i would spill the beans..............do you think your mates would not if so you must be bl**dy stupid.

My friendships are made of stronger stuff than yours it seems. I have faith in my friends, including those I have not seen or spoken to for over a decade, that they would not stoop to such levels. Acquaintances are a different story, and these are irrelevant as they're not the sort of people to whom I would entrust secrets.
    mrsldg wrote: »
    :o:cry: Unfortunatly being honist I would to get some money at the moment. I am in too much debt to turn it down, just keeping my head above water so to keep my family with a roof over my head Im sure any true friend would understand and fogive, a little embaresment.

On the contrary, any true friend wouldn't dish any dirt for money. With that statement you've done yourself a disservice, making clear that it is you who doesn't ascribe much weight to the friendship.

[Emphasis mine.]
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    MSE_Jenny wrote: »
    Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:
    Would you sell a story on a mate for £20,000?

An old pal, who you don’t see much anymore, is in the latest series of Big Brother. You find out the tabloids are looking to buy stories, and have some dirt your mate which could be worth up to £20,000. Yet they told you the information in confidence, and it would seriously embarrass and somewhat hurt them if it went public. Would you sell the story? quote]

It depends: basicly, I would ask myself, would I like this done to me?

People go into the BB house to gain publicity, some things although shameful can be welcomed- eg someone who was at school very good at flirting with teachers, may well sit well with someone in the BB house who is trying to clib the career ladder. If I were in their position, this would be the stor of thing that would help my career.

But if for example it was something more serious and something that could kill a career, then you have to ask the question: would I mind if this was done to me OR do I hold a big enough grudge on them.

Fact is, if their 'career' as a celebrity goes horribly wrong, then will be back to square one, and know exactly where to find you...

Simple answer: Karma, what goes around comes around.
  • ragz_2
    ragz_2 Posts: 3,254 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Er, they went on BB, they should expect it...
    I sooooo would do it, sorry! Unless it'a a relative or a very very good friend (and I doubt any of mine would be so dumb to go on that awful show!)

ETA - JennieWB does make a very good point though. It would depend what it was...
    June Grocery Challenge £493.33/£500 July £/£500
    2 adults, 3 teens
    Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
  • Chevalier_2
    Options
    No, I wouldn't. Because it was done to me, and I know what it feels like.

I wasn't on BB or anything like it, but my job once (briefly) landed me in the spotlight, and a hostile paper published a piece about me including quotes from a 'schoolfriend'. They weren't even especially bad, there were no horribly embarrassing revelations, but it still hurt like hell. The worst was that this so-called friend decided to remain anonymous (as some of those above have said they would) - so I never knew who it was. Result? I can't trust anyone. I cut myself off from Friends Reunited and avoid anyone from that period, becaue it could be any of them.

I know it's hard to feel sympathy for so-called celebrities. But they're real people - and who knows, even those on BB may be too. Maybe they're hard-up as well, but have chosen to sell themselves rather than their friends.

Just a thought...
  • graemecarter
    Options
    If my daughter or Labrador needed an urgent operation I had to pay for, then I would rubbish my friend's name for the money. Otherwise, I would never do it.
    I don't believe everyone when they say no however.
  • mikyboy31
    Options
    NO. I would not even consider it. Not only brings embarrasment to him but also to his family.

And what if your name and photo is plastered all over the tabloids, whats going to stop someone selling a story about you.

Im sure many of us have stories they would like to keep buried.
  • BorgVampire
    Options
    I would use my head, call the old friend up and ask him if he wishes me to spill the beans and split the money with him after I recieve the £20,000. Or not say anything and forget about the £20,000. Either way I would win because the old friend would probably become a new friend again for my honesty and integrity.
  • forzaitalia
    Options
    I would never, ever do such a thing, not even to someone I don't like. Some people are so greedy and materialistic they would do ANYTHING for money, but they must have no morals or soul to do such a thing.

:A :A :A
  • bandraoi
    bandraoi Posts: 1,261 Forumite
    Options
    Some people are so greedy and materialistic they would do ANYTHING for money, but they must have no morals or soul to do such a thing.
    indeed, some of them are even desperate enough to become big brother contestants.
  • bc3000
    bc3000 Posts: 758 Forumite
    Options
    If I didn't talk to them and was never very close to them then hell yes- it'd pay my uni fees!

If I was close to them I'd talk about it and split the money with them if they wanted to go ahead with it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure