We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

RMA Debt Collection Agency

Options

Comments

• I have spoken to this bunch of jokers on one ocassion and THAT was the only time i will EVER do it again!
    Not only was i talked over consistently, i has abuse hurled at me and the jumped up, pompous little eejit i spoke to had no intention of helping at all but tried to use bully boy tactics (ooo very scarey).
    At one point during the conversation I asked him not to talk over the top of me as i had not finished explaining what i had to say. He said clearly i was not in a position to tell him what to do and I was under the misparehension (think he means something else) that he was "customer service".
    At this point I burst into hysterical laughter at the idea and he got cross! I said " No, I thought you might be a rational human being but clearly not." He then continued to rant and demand I give him 15 times the amount they have been receiving or he would take me to court. I said "Am i bothered though?" Again he lost it at which point I got bored and hung up, they now call only 7 times a day, we pick up and put it down again, very dull!
    I am putting everything in writing as i cannot be bothered to waste my breath/ time/energy on these jokers. Seriously I wonder how much job satisfaction and "feel good" factor they get from this job?? XX :think:
  • Think this won't happen, i have had 4 of these and so far nothing, I called them and said no one had been round to visit and we were disappointed as we had bought biscuits and we had not fed the rotweiller for 3 days.
    If they do and they put pressure on you/ your partner this is classed as harassment (refer to OFT guidelines) also refer to National Debtline info for help or call them, they have been very good.
  • gigsy
    gigsy Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Think this won't happen, i have had 4 of these and so far nothing, I called them and said no one had been round to visit and we were disappointed as we had bought biscuits and we had not fed the rotweiller for 3 days.
    If they do and they put pressure on you/ your partner this is classed as harassment (refer to OFT guidelines) also refer to National Debtline info for help or call them, they have been very good.

Thank you. They didn't come around afterall. i spoke to one of them and I have to say that she was very nice and she has put things on hold until they receive my statment which the CAB help me prepare. The calls are still happening but let's see what happens. Thanks for the replies.
  • macdaddy1984
    macdaddy1984 Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    I used to work at RMA and I am appaled at what I am hearing. I'll explain why. They have two offices, the main office, where i worked, and a newer office for collections such as barclaycard, mbna, citicard etc etc

I worked on behalf or American Express, and i cannot lie, on occasion i was short tempered and rude to people who owed money, i was never personal in my rudeness but i was short with people. On the most part though I was pleasant, helpful and polite.

I cannot beleive that anyone would speak to a customer like in the examples i have heard and if i was sat across from someone talking to a customer like that i would be astounded and angry.

Make no mistakes though and take this from me "BEING RUDE, NOT PAYING OR MAKING DEMANDS WILL NOT HELP.....IT WILL ONLY MAKE THINGS WORSE"

RMA were and probably still are the first port of call for creditors, this next step of action will be bailiffs, courts etc. etc.

Do not be a renegade, if someone is rude don't speak to them, they will make notes you have hung up or whatever course of action you take and finally someone will be nice to you and take you through things in a civil manner (i promise those people exist, i know a few good people there!)

RMA is VERY successful in what it does, they make a lot of money for themselves, this tactic they use doesn't work on everyone (thank god) but it does work on a lot. they are doing what they do best remember.

Please don't screw yourselves over by trying to be john wayne, go to either PayPlan, the CCCS or your local CAB if your are in too deep. any other company will charge you more than they are paying the creditors and that's not right, that's why collection agencies and banks get annoyed.

Please heed my advice, i just stumbled over this forum and thought i should say something!

REMEMBER RMA ARE NOT THE END OF THE LINE, BEFORE YOU GO ANYWHERE NEAR A COURT SOLICITORS, BAILIFFS AND THE LIKE WILL BE INVOLVED AND YOUR DEBT WILL MOUNT WITH FEES AND CHARGES, GO THE CCCS, PAYPLAN OR YOUR LOCAL CAB!
  • macdaddy1984
    Options
    oh and please don't think you can get them shut down, they have been doing this for years and years, in the time i was there hundreds tried, all failed, they cover the a*ses big time, i'm not a whistleblower or anything like that just a helping hand
    030 Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds more like your trolling on behalf of RMA! If your that appalled by the behaviour of your ex company then you might want to post something more constructive about dealing with these bullies. My parents are being bothered at all hours by these people despite me making an offer of payment and telling them to stop harrassing them. Ive told them I will only conduct business in writing so I have permanent records of what has been agreed but I'm told that they are a phone based company only. Well that may be true but I dont have a phone and I certainly cant afford to be ringing premium rate numbers to talk to them if I did.
  • Zulu_Dawn
    Zulu_Dawn Posts: 282 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have a £7k debt with American Express that was passed on to RMA Resolve. Following that I also got a default notice from Amex..

I then got a letter from RMA Resolve to explain that they were a "free service" there to "assist me", that the debt had been passed to them and to contact them. When I did I made an offer of £50 per month based on the budget I had sent to Amex. This was accepted and I've heard nothing from them since.

The correspondence and all subsequent dealings were very pleasant and business-like and I can honestly say it was all easy.

Now I'm worried!!

Can they charge me without telling me?

What did I do right or is hounding of my family and friends on its way?

Any other experiences?

ZD
    Debt free - achieved Jan 2021

Mortgage free wannabe - started 15/10/21

"No man is a failure who has friends"
  • macdaddy1984
    Options
    I am not doing this at all, i now work for one of the UK's major banks arranging mortgages, although i cannot prove this i think it is rude and obnoxious to discount everything i said. It is ok for you to say i am trolling for RMA, but you know nothing of me or who i am, i am only trying to help!

RMA are a phone based company, they do not write letters or send bailiffs, their client passes the debt on to solicitors and then bailiffs if RMA are unsuccessful.

I myself worked on RMA Resolve, they are a free service who offers plans for you to work from, they generally are nice people as if your debt is passed to them it is because AMEX realise you need help and offer it via them. If you have arranged to pay each month DO NOT WORRY! they will leave you alone and every six months will call for an update.

and 030's attitude is exactly what i mean by renegade, just be polite, its the best advice i can offer, they won't leave you alone but in the end it will be as painless as possible as you will get someone there who is helpful. i'd love to give names of people who would help but i can't for obvious reasons.

and again for 030, if there is any way to prove to you and the others i am an EX employee i would love to do so.

I REALLY AM ONLY TRYING TO HELP
  • amani_2
    amani_2 Posts: 604 Forumite
    Options
    macdaddy1984 I agree with 030

you said yourself that you have been RUDE and SHORT TEMPERED to people who owe money. WHY????????
  • macdaddy1984
    Options
    because people try and be clever or smart when you are trying to help. i apologise now but at the time when people scream, shout and make no efforts to repay any money owed, and i mean on a won't pay not can't pay basis, then it is frustrating. it's a horrible job to have to do but someone has to do it. and the people i was like that with were few and far between.

Until you have been sworn at, called names, had your family threatened and disrespected while doing your job in a civil manner you cannot comment on why you may get a little annoyed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport