Free Wi-fi hotspots

Options

Comments

• MickKnipfler
    MickKnipfler Posts: 1,983 Forumite
    Options
    I agree. I've often thought that If I had a bar, I'd offer wifi for say £2 an hour but make the £2 refundable against drinks.....something like that
  • Mac_Sami
    Mac_Sami Posts: 277 Forumite
    Options
    I agree. I've often thought that If I had a bar, I'd offer wifi for say £2 an hour but make the £2 refundable against drinks.....something like that

Would be difficult to "police" though for the bar - far better to get people in spending money at the establishment by way of drinks etc whilst surfing, rather than charging them and then going through the hassle of refunding them if they buy a drink. They want customers who buy their products, not pay a couple of quid for internet and take up seat that a paying customer could be sat at.
  • Malcolmw
    Malcolmw Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    Ta! Much appreciated.
  • Judith_M
    Options
    Hi everyone - my first visit to the Forum. I clicked on the website for free wifi hotspots. Newcastle upon Tyne seems to have none at all! Is this correct? Has anyone found any hotspots they searched for?
  • ShaunJUK
    ShaunJUK Posts: 728 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Also wrote:
    Two thoughts:

1) I DO know about security but I, and most of my mates, keep open wireless networks (with everything on them well protected) so that if MY system goes down I can use theirs to find out what is wrong over the internet and vice versa. It's been REALLy useful when say NTL has gone down but Bt hasn't to check whether the problem is the router or the network.

2) Plausible deniability- i didn't download that sir- must be some one using my system!

In all cases we try to name the SSID to the house so that anyone using it knows who it belongs to- sometimes people want to use, but would like to ask but who do you ask if it's got the default name!

If you give permission for your mates to use it its not illegal however what you should do is create a passkey and distribute it to them so only they can access it. Leaving it open means your neighbours can connect and download that 4gig !!!!!! DVD they wont use their own connection for, resulting in poor slow service through your connection.
    Coming up to my 7th year on this site so I figured I should get me a signature!

I am now a DTD Addict
  • MinkyMeg
    MinkyMeg Posts: 118 Forumite
    Options
    I read something today about Southern Central Trains having 'free Wi-fi on their express route from Brighton to London - even through tunnels. Some summer promotion in association with T-mobile.

Not sure of exact date it ends but see here for all T's and C's:

http://www.southernrailway.com/wifi_access.php
    Everyone LOVES a freebie!!
  • Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Please read about Hotspot Security and Wireless Hijacking. (wi-fi planet and BBC websites).
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • DrFluffy
    DrFluffy Posts: 2,549 Forumite
    Options
    April Grocery Challenge £81/£120
  • anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My University has wifi spots accross the university according to their website. Students can access it with their usual username and passwords apparently. Haven't tried using it yet though.
  • DrFluffy
    DrFluffy Posts: 2,549 Forumite
    Options
    I think most unis have this now...
    April Grocery Challenge £81/£120
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts