Free Wi-fi hotspots

Options

Comments

• mentat72
    mentat72 Posts: 305 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was told (by someone who reckons to know about these things) that if a hacker used my wi-fi to download anything illegal, I would be held responsible. Suffice it to say that my wi-fi is now password-protected!

I don't know the details, but this essentially correct. It is an individuals responsibility to ensure that their Wi-Fi connection is secure.

Also, I'm told McDonalds have free Wi-Fi now too.
    Money can't buy friends, but it can get you a better class of enemy - Spike Milligan.
  • Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    mentat72 wrote: »
    ...Also, I'm told McDonalds have free Wi-Fi now too.
    Do you have to eat a burger to get it? (Just thinking of our physical and mental health....:cool: )
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,939 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Absolute non-techie here, but I do use a wireless connection to the Internet. Does this mean that anyone within a certain distance of my house could access the internet via my connection??
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • macgyver
    macgyver Posts: 1,285 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Depends whether it is security enabled or not.

You should have set up security when you set up the connection
    I wanted to thankyou a million times but its a shame that I can press the button just once :T
  • n3phi1im
    n3phi1im Posts: 219 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    super_star wrote: »
    In my street my neighbours haven't heard about security either - does anyone know what the legal stance is on this e.g. I if connect to the internet using their "free" wireless access point am I breaking the law?

In a word - Yes. And some people have been arrested and prosecuted for this. Although the actual laws being broken seem to be a bit vague at the moment - some say it is simply theft (of a service someone else is paying for) where others paint it as a specific computer crime.

Either way, if the 'owner' hasn't advertised it as 'free', you takes your chances...
  • kitxp
    kitxp Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    The website in question seems to be VERY outdated.
    It claims there is 1 wifi hotspot in my city...a large city! and that is at the central library where you have to register 1st!
    I know of at least 15 others including McDonalds, numerous pubs, a service station, 4 coffee shops, a cafe and a public transport station.
    Oh and not to mention the 6 domestic ones I can connect to from home! When will people learn!:rolleyes:
  • jackbremer
    Options
    kitxp wrote: »
    The website in question seems to be VERY outdated
    yep, pants
  • Concretecow
    Options
    Also wrote: »
    Two thoughts:

In all cases we try to name the SSID to the house so that anyone using it knows who it belongs to- sometimes people want to use, but would like to ask but who do you ask if it's got the default name!

I use my telephone number as the SSID, that way, any problems or requirements just need a phone call. Not had any funny calls about it either. My WiFi doesn't cover that far anyway, so I wouldn't expect phone calls from anyone more then 50 metres away.

About to install a FON type wifi public portal :-)

regards.
  • pandaman069
    Options
    Foxy_Pegs wrote: »
    Wanna teach me? If I make it secure, will the other pcs in the house still be able to connect?

Any WiFi device will still be able to connect as long as you input the passkey into the connection settings.
  • jon_r_2
    jon_r_2 Posts: 344 Forumite
    Options
    Anybody know of a free hotspot in Reading?

Any Mc donalds will be free i think Costa's are as well
    never put off buying a bargain today,it may be gone tomorrow
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family