Debt Relief Orders (DRO) - Information & help thread

Options

Comments

• fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,561 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Slateford - go elsewhere. It sounds like your intermediary made up a 3-month rule (doesn't exist) and then changed their mind about your surplus, unless you know a reason why it grew from £10 to £100.

Dennis has given a helpful link.
  • Slateford1
    Slateford1 Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Dennis,

My situation is made worse by the fact my partner is expecting in august, we don't live together but obviously I have to feed my family, until then I donthave a clue what to do, wether to start a dmp then go onto a dro or token payment then a dro??? Any advice on this greatly appreciated
  • ToxtethO'Grady
    ToxtethO'Grady Posts: 342 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Slateford I would wait and keep up the token payments until the baby is born. Do your budget again and you may (will definitely) find that having a new born means your costs go up.
    Your shopping, heating and clothing costs will! I don't know if your partner works and if they'll receive full pay whilst on maternity. You need to plan ahead for this.

Also think of things like extra child benefits £20.70 per week(an extra £13.70 per week if another child) and child tax credits.

Use http://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator/startcalc.aspx which can calculate the benefits you and your family may get.

Just advice I feel would help until the baby is born and then I'm sure the £100 you have in surplus would be whittled down
  • wba31
    wba31 Posts: 2,189 Forumite
    Options
    Slateford1 wrote: »
    From my experience mate with Stepchange you need to give it 3 month since your last loan because it's easier for the creditor to object.. after 3 month you should be fine

Where have StepChange got 3 months from? In my understanding creditors can object over any behaviour they deem to be against best practice for a DRO, and borrowing with no intention to repay could have been done 12 months ago if no payments have been made on the debt?

Not questioning you Slateford, I know you're only relaying what you've been told...
  • Woody667
    Woody667 Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, ok, but what about if the minimum payment was made for 3 months.....?
    THANKS
  • Woody667
    Options
    So how far backward the OR will investigate my bank statement for?
    Has anyone got 100 % checked info?
    I think that's quite IMPORTANT.

THANKS
  • Slateford1
    Slateford1 Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    From my experience over the last several weeks and numerous phone calls to the intermediary along with the guys great help on here, it's clear the OR doesn't go
    digging into your history and I've never heard of providing bank statements, in my experience it was proof of income like pay slips. I wouldn't worry mate I was exactly like you but I'd have second thoughts about Stepchange!!! They have done me like a kipper.... I am starting to think there is something wrong with them because my total debts are 6800 however there saying it's in excess of 8000 and a dmp
    at 117 month is the way forward !!! From your information you should be ok
  • Woody667
    Options
    Thanks for this helpfull info, but what about if the bank it's self will object my behaviour as unusual...and contact the OR to check me out, if really had no intention to pay this of which is not anyway because i've had this debts for few years and We do balance transfer now and then between me and my Wife, BECAUSE there are so many 0% long term offers on the market this days, so what's wrong with doing it....?
    Thanks
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,561 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Hi Woody. I don't know what field you work in but in most professions there is a 'this can happen but usually doesn't' theme.

With Debt Relief Orders it's a two stage 'this can happen but usually doesn't'

Yes, each creditor can object (but usually doesn't)

Then the DRO Team can uphold the objection and revoke the DRO (but usually doesn't)
  • Woody667
    Options
    Fatbelly thanks for Your info, so from Your point of view what would You recommend to do....?
    Should I apply for DRO after like 4 or 5 month's without any stress? and after submitting the application is there any questions about recent debts taken? If there is, for what period will they require the info for....?
    -90 days
    -120 ==
    -1year or they want ask me at all?
    Did anyone had any questions like that?
    THANKS for your consideration.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business