Debt Relief Orders (DRO) - Information & help thread

Options

Comments

• Flyright
    Flyright Posts: 424 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You can't contrive your wife's debts into your DRO.
  • Woody667
    Woody667 Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    well, it was me using the card anyway, so i took my debts really, so what would you recommend...to do at this stage
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,648 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Stepchange will probably advise you to wait a while before applying.

Be guided by your intermediary.
  • Woody667
    Options
    How long do U think that I should wait before applying...we are expecting a new baby in August, just want sort this problem out before that, thanks for the reply anyway
  • Slateford1
    Slateford1 Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    After hanging around for 2 month to submit my dro Stepchange have said my allowance is over the 50 quid limit!! Unwilling to change it am I urged to go to another service or go into a dmp even though I've apparently got 100 spare and 15 creditors?? I certainly can't see my larger creditors accepting 5 quid a month!! I really am in a mess and would the dmp be better with me or Stepchange sorting it??? Thanks in advance
  • Woody667
    Options
    So, has anyone know how long will have to wait before applying for DRO, with £8500 recent debt taken?
    I don't want to apply it before this knowledge because don't want to end up with having my case been declined or revoked or even worse....
    Anyone can help?
    THANKS
  • Slateford1
    Slateford1 Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    From my experience mate with Stepchange you need to give it 3 month since your last loan because it's easier for the creditor to object.. after 3 month you should be fine
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Slateford1

Slateford1 wrote: »
    After hanging around for 2 month to submit my dro Stepchange have said my allowance is over the 50 quid limit!! Unwilling to change it am I urged to go to another service or go into a dmp even though I've apparently got 100 spare and 15 creditors?? I certainly can't see my larger creditors accepting 5 quid a month!! I really am in a mess and would the dmp be better with me or Stepchange sorting it??? Thanks in advance

*If* a DMP really is feasible and worthwhile for you, then you have the option of using a free third-party service like Stepchange or instead just negotiating with your creditors on a DIY basis. I don't know exactly how much you owe in total of course, so I can't say whether a DRO looks better than a DMP or vice versa.

If you still want a DRO but need to seek an alternative provider, you can find others' details in this guide: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/getting-a-debt-relief-order/getting-a-debt-relief-order

Dennis
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • Woody667
    Options
    THANKS for replaying, so do U think that I should go ahead after 3 months? What about if they will refuse my application, can they take any further action against me for it? Because I really don't want to end being accused for cheating them, especially with new baby arriving soon...
    THANKS.
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Woody

Woody667 wrote: »
    THANKS for replaying, so do U think that I should go ahead after 3 months? What about if they will refuse my application, can they take any further action against me for it? Because I really don't want to end being accused for cheating them, especially with new baby arriving soon...
    THANKS.

My previous reply was specifically in relation to Slateford's scenario, just to avoid any confusion.

As for your query about whether the Insolvency Service can take "any further action" in the event that they refuse your DRO application - they're simply looking at whether they accept it or not, not anything else beyond that, so I hope that answers your question.

Dennis
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback