PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Knit Your Square To Give Your Share 2009!

Options

Comments

• shezmit
    shezmit Posts: 781 Forumite
    Options
    Preemiesuk will take any pastel coloured squares if anyone has any
    Knitting for premature babies and babies that are born to soon :T
    TOTAL: 4 SANDS BLANKET, 18 CROCHETED BLANKETS, 4 GOWNS, 2 SLEEPING BAG (PRIVATE REQUEST), 1 BIB, 8 BOOBS, 3 CARDIES, 9 VENTS, 3 KNITTED BLANKETS, 1 PAIR OF BOOTIES, 1 HAT,
  • f1widow
    f1widow Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    Options
    I have just read the post about the knitting in airports and the suggestion about doing the same in doctors surgery - what a great idea - although mother in law was in hospital before xmas and wasnt allowed her knitting with her

Also my Mum told me that in the paper a girl of 20 brought wool and needles to make scarf from large store (I didnt know whether was allowed to say name!) and was refused to purchase the needles as she was not 21.... What is the world coming to .... I know our local charity shop says they are not allowed to sell them as they could be used as a dangerous weapon but give them a nod and for a small donation in the pot they will bring them out for you from the back

We are supposed to be cutting back what with the credit crunch etc and as we know from being on this site dealing with debts and by knitting things such as scarves and hats etc surely we are saving money and helping charities which are in great need ....it makes me cross that shops now cant sell the needles - although I can appreciate why they have had to put a stop in case someone does something stupid with them

Sorrrrrrrrry I went on plant "rant and rave" there - hmmmmmm better go and knit and relieve some tension ha ha xx
    Debt Diary: Im not going to be an Ostrich anymore -LBM - 16/1/12 /
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    Options
    shezmit, i havent forgotten you, ive been doing some more on the gown i started for preemies but im finding 2ply really slow, i have almst finished the 'skirt' part so i should speed up after the decrease and eyelet section-you will get it sometime this year.
    ive still got a hooded blanket for you ill post them both together
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • mioliere
    mioliere Posts: 6,838 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all - Chrisbethany, sorry about the confusion! I can assure you it doesn't take much for me to confuse people! You don't need to join OECS - they collect any squares we send them and their volunteers sew them into blankets which they then distribute to the elderly. The Wooligans is our Yahoo site where we can upload photos of the things we make. It's not as busy as this thread but is useful for seeing what others have done; most of the 'action, though, seems to happen here! Under Yahoo rules, you have to 'apply' to join and I, as the 'owner' of the site, have to 'approve' you. Just click on the link in that first post for instructions. It's not as complicated as it sounds - I was baffled at first! You don't have to join it at all if you don't want to. I hope I've explained it but please ask again if you are unsure!

Shelley - that's a great idea! If all surgeries allow it, just think how many squares would be knitted! Your parcel arrived today - I'll try and get it back to you by next Tuesday/Wednesday, if that's OK? I have visitors this weekend who are staying with us before they emigrate to France on Monday so, I shan't have as much time as I would like! I'll make a start on the sewing up this evening.

F1Widow - what a lovely post! I'm so glad you are enjoying it here! I bet your cards are lovely! You sound as if you tackle everything with great enthusiasm! It's a lovely feeling when you realise that you can knit other things besides squares, isn't it? Knitting doesn't have to be complicated! As far as being warm, I found it quite mild today - but then I was doing the dreaded housework - but it has got cold again now! Still, it's not as cold as the last few days have been.

I asked one of our local charity shops if they had needles (I'm gradually replacing my steel ones with wooden ones, because they are so much comfier to knit with, and have found a few pairs in charity shops) and they said they had, but that they weren't allowed to have them on display, which is ridiculous. I did persuade them to at least put up a big notice telling people that they did have them and just to ask at the counter. As for not allowing a 20 year old to buy needles, how silly is that? I've been knitting since I was five years old and have never attacked anyone with my needles. I've threatened my husband with them, though! This health and safety thing has gone way too far. Knitting is really becoming popular again and any age group should be encouraged to take it up. I would also be really down if I wasn't allowed to take my knitting into hospital with me. Lou, who runs Loving Hands, spent a long time in hospital last year, due to a dreadful accident, and she was even teaching the nurses how to knit, so it's good to know that some hospitals allow it.

K2tog - I don't know if schools teach knitting these days. I'm trying to teach my granddaughter to knit (now, that's a laugh!) so I know her school doesn't. I would love to find needles and wool in my GP's waiting room; anything's better than those ancient magazines!

I will update later with your hats, Chrisbethany.

KathyXX
    KNIT YOUR SQUARE TOTALS:

Squares: 11, Animal blankets: 2
  • shezmit
    Options
    yeah thats fine Kathy i will be getting another parcel ready for you at the begining of next week. I will ask at the doctors tomorrow if they will let me put a box down with some odd balls and some needles, i wonder if we get any squares,

Preemiesuk needs at the moments

Sleep sacks http://preemiesuk.googlepages.com/SLEEPINGBAG.html
    cardies
    Vent bonnets
    Buntings
    TOTAL: 4 SANDS BLANKET, 18 CROCHETED BLANKETS, 4 GOWNS, 2 SLEEPING BAG (PRIVATE REQUEST), 1 BIB, 8 BOOBS, 3 CARDIES, 9 VENTS, 3 KNITTED BLANKETS, 1 PAIR OF BOOTIES, 1 HAT,
  • thebuff1
    thebuff1 Posts: 79 Forumite
    Options
    Hey, I can't believe it..Just saw this lovely thread, delicious, cannot wait to finish the scarf I am on and start my Easter chicks, but feeling a little daunted as have 30 to do, possibly 60. Never done them before and so did one in the summer as a practise but did not get around to buying the sticky eyes but got the red felt for the mouth and wondering if I can get away with using glue to stick on?
    Saw your post and felt relieved I am not the only insane person thinking of chicks in January!
    Good luck to all those on here, I cannot wait to start knitting and adding to these totals as have loads of odds and ends and so glad not to have binned them.
  • shezmit
    Options
    no you not in sane starting them in jan, at least we won't have a mad rush near to easter.

Please update me with 2 jumpers which are for the bears that i have knitted
    1 easter chick
  • ainnoangel
    Options
    Hi - I am a complete newbie to posting on this website. I have been a lurker for some time but never really felt ok to post. After finding this thread ('scuse the pun!) via Martin's email, I was moved to tears by all your kindness and felt I HAD to post. I really wish I could knit! I have tried several times in the past and have no understanding or ability.

Anyway, I am going to ask my mum to show me (again! for the millionth time) when I see her next (she lives over 21/2 hours away). You're an inspiration!

Thank you for all your kindness. I am sure there are countless babies and children, old and ill people who would say a big thank you, if only they could!

:T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T:T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T
  • maytaurus
    maytaurus Posts: 2,115 Forumite
    Options
    ainnoangel wrote: »
    Hi - I am a complete newbie to posting on this website. I have been a lurker for some time but never really felt ok to post. After finding this thread ('scuse the pun!) via Martin's email, I was moved to tears by all your kindness and felt I HAD to post. I really wish I could knit! I have tried several times in the past and have no understanding or ability.

Anyway, I am going to ask my mum to show me (again! for the millionth time) when I see her next (she lives over 21/2 hours away). You're an inspiration!

Thank you for all your kindness. I am sure there are countless babies and children, old and ill people who would say a big thank you, if only they could!

:T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T:T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T
    Have a look here....http://www.knittinghelp.com/
    Videos can be found in these sections Click to access
    http://www.videojug.com/tag/knitting...ent=all&page=1

Perhaps you could try this
    This bunny is so simple as it is made from a knitted square – any size is fine.

http://www.artsy-fartsy-mama.com/index.php?itemid=162

I find it's easier to make a tiny pom pom for the tail and
    this link will show you the method my Mum taught me and I have always used

http://www.kid-craft-central.com/pom-poms.html

bunny_kiss.jpg

[FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane[FONT=&quot] —[FONT=&quot] Marcus Aurelius[/FONT][/FONT]
  • mioliere
    mioliere Posts: 6,838 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good morning everyone! I hope you are all keeping warm!

I want to thank all of you for how much you have achieved in just over a week. The totals are amazing, aren't they? Please all take a huge pat on the back and wear your halo with pride! This just wouldn't be possible without your enthusiasm, skill and, above all, time and materials. Lots of lovely newbies have found us, too, which is wonderful. It's great to have you all with us.

Maytaurus - thank you, yet again, for the links! You'll see I found your post on another site (can't remember which one!) with the link to the lovely children's crafting site. You are a star at finding things, so thanks once again for sharing them with us.:A

Shez - good luck with asking at the doctor's about keeping wool and needles in the waiting room. It's such a good idea and hopefully will catch on around the country - wouldn't it be great if it did?

Thebuff1 - welcome to you and good luck with all those chicks! You'll be making them with your eyes closed before long!

Ainnoangel - welcome to you (love the name!) - good luck with learning to knit; once you have, you'll find it so easy, I promise, and the sense of achievement every time you knit even the smallest thing, is amazing. You can do no better than look at the tutorials that Maytaurus has posted for how to learn - Maytaurus is excellent at finding things on the internet! If you need help, just post on here and there will always be someone who can help. We have some very talented knitters and crocheters here!

NOTE TO ALL NEWBIES: Make sure you read the very first post on here for all the relevant info, links to sites and patterns and so on.

I thought I'd pinch the idea of adding our totals in red and extend it to the main update to make it easier to find! I've put your names in red and the totals in black. Also, now that the thread is several pages long, I shall post the latest update on the very first post so that newbies can see how well we are doing. Don't forget that I am pretty good at getting the numbers wrong on occasion, so please tell me when I do!

Have a great day, everyone!

LATEST UPDATE:

Shazrobo
    5 vent hats
    1 bunting

Pippa.S
    4 baby hats
    1 cardi
    5 buntings

Mioliere
    1 STC hat
    2 buntings

Shezmit
    2 sleeping bags
    2 buntings
    2 teddies
    2 jumpers for the teds
    1 scarf
    1 boob
    6 Easter chicks
    1 mini Christmas stocking

Jellybeans
    2 baby hats
    2 Teddies for Tragedies

K2tog
    2 baby hats

LilyMay (my Mum)
    6 toddler cardies
    4 toddler hats
    3 baby hats
    6 baby blankets
    2 baby vests
    2 cardies
    8 buntings
    3 squares

Tooties
    6 baby hats
    4 cardies
    1 pair bootees
    120 squares

F1Widow
    1 baby hat
    1 pr bootees
    1 square
    1 baby blanket
    1 scarf

RoloPolo
    6 baby hats
    6 cardies

Chrisbethany
    2 baby hats

TOTALS SO FAR (Vent, STC and all baby hats will be counted together under 'Baby hats' if everyone's happy with that?)

Baby hats: 30, Cardies: 13, Sleeping Bags: 2, Buntings: 17, Pairs of Bootees: 2, Teddies: 4, Jumpers for Teds: 2, Scarves: 2, Toddler Cardies: 6, Toddler Hats: 4, Baby Blankets: 7, Baby Vests: 2, Squares: 124, Boobs: 1, Easter chicks: 6, Mini Christmas stocking:
    KNIT YOUR SQUARE TOTALS:

Squares: 11, Animal blankets: 2
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family