PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Knit Your Square To Give Your Share 2009!

Options

Comments

• tooties
    tooties Posts: 801 Forumite
    Options
    hello everyone
    i have done another 2 cardigans
    many thanks
    tooties
    ps welcome to everyone
    :j
  • mioliere
    mioliere Posts: 6,838 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi everyone - just updating before I get stuck into some boring housework!

Welcome to Miss Angie - so glad you have joined us! Hobbycraft is quite expensive for wool, really. I'm lucky in that I still have a 'proper' old-fashioned wool shop nearby and I buy a lot of my wool from there. I also have a stash of wool left over from other projects that has been building up over the last 40 odd years, and I regularly look in charity shops, where I've found several bargains over the years, in wool, patterns and needles. A lot of people buy online from here http://www.kempswoolshop.com/. I've never tried them but intend to when I get round to it. They are meant to be very good value. Also, Loving Hands (link in first post), one of the groups we send our finished items to, will actually send you wool and needles, if you ask them! You will need to join, which is easy (and free), then ask Lou to send you some wool. Also, you could put a request on freecycle for spare wool.

I have 1 bunting to add (whoever started adding their updates in red, and those who also do it, - it's a great idea, thanks, and makes it much easier to count up!). I would be really grateful if everyone would put their latest items in a different colour!

TO ALL NEWBIES - as the more established knitters here will agree, I do make mistakes with the adding up sometimes (!), so please, if I get your totals wrong, do let me know.

Look at the stunning totals below - all that in one week! You are brilliant, every single one of you! Looks like 2009 will be a fantastic year for the Wooligans!

Well, I can't ignore the housework any longer! Keep warm, everyone!

KathyXX

LATEST UPDATE:

Shazrobo
    5 vent hats
    1 bunting

Pippa.S
    4 baby hats
    1 cardi
    5 buntings

Mioliere
    1 STC hat
    2 buntings

Shezmit
    2 sleeping bags
    2 buntings
    2 teddies
    1 scarf
    1 boob
    6 Easter chicks
    1 mini Christmas stocking

Jellybeans
    2 baby hats
    2 Teddies for Tragedies

K2tog
    2 baby hats

LilyMay (my Mum)
    6 toddler cardies
    4 toddler hats
    3 baby hats
    6 baby blankets
    2 baby vests
    2 cardies
    8 buntings
    3 squares

Tooties
    5 baby hats
    3 cardies

F1Widow
    1 baby hat
    1 pr bootees
    1 square
    1 baby blanket
    1 scarf

RoloPolo
    6 baby hats
    6 cardies

TOTALS SO FAR (Vent, STC and all baby hats will be counted together under 'Baby hats' if everyone's happy with that?)

Baby hats: 26, Cardies: 12, Sleeping Bags: 2, Buntings: 17, Pairs of Bootees: 1, Teddies: 4, Scarves: 2, Toddler Cardies: 6, Toddler Hats: 4, Baby Blankets: 7, Baby Vests: 2, Squares: 4, Boobs: 1, Easter chicks: 6, Mini Christmas stocking: 1
    KNIT YOUR SQUARE TOTALS:

Squares: 11, Animal blankets: 2
  • miss_angie1
    Options
    Thank you so much for the link Mioliere there are some really great bargains on there to be had.

I think I am going to start off knitting squares and then try some more adventurous pieces as I improve. I will keep you posted on my progress.:D
    My mantra is "Never pay full price!" ;)
  • mioliere
    Options
    Hi Miss Angie - glad the link worked. I daren't look on there at the moment because I have enough wool and would be too tempted to buy more! Don't forget to post on here with the items you make and I can add you to the updating list!

Kathy
    KNIT YOUR SQUARE TOTALS:

• jomknight
    jomknight Posts: 32 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    About 3 years ago I was waiting in Alderney airport (about like 2 portakabins) ; there was a box in the corner containing squares being knitted, which people could pick up and continue whilst they waited for the plane. There were photos of the blankets that had been made.Imagine how many they could produce at Heathrow!!
  • mioliere
    Options
    Hi Jomknight - what a wonderful idea! I've never heard of something like that. Besides the squares being used to make blankets, it must have helped many a passenger to pass the time, especially if their plane was delayed. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Just a thought - I bet they wouldn't allow the needles in the airport, now!

Kathy
    KNIT YOUR SQUARE TOTALS:

• shezmit
    shezmit Posts: 781 Forumite
    Options
    i might have to have a word with our local doctors surgery to see if they will be interested in having a box where people can knit up squares while waiting,

shelley
    Knitting for premature babies and babies that are born to soon :T
    TOTAL: 4 SANDS BLANKET, 18 CROCHETED BLANKETS, 4 GOWNS, 2 SLEEPING BAG (PRIVATE REQUEST), 1 BIB, 8 BOOBS, 3 CARDIES, 9 VENTS, 3 KNITTED BLANKETS, 1 PAIR OF BOOTIES, 1 HAT,
  • f1widow
    f1widow Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Everyone -and this is a note for the newbies - I have not long joined and found everyone on here really helpful and friendly (to start with I was a complete "lala" and they have all helped me and answered my really daft questions!!!) I too started off with just squares but over the last few weeks have progressed to a ribbed adult hat /ribbed baby hat and bootees (although the latter are a little bit of a funny shape ????) all from patterns from Loving Hands / PreemiesUk /links on this forum- I also found a pattern for a corner to corner blanket which is really simple with a hole pattern around it - just knit - I wrote it down and am not sure what link is - and then someone esle wrote a corner to corner blanket pattern as well - I was tickled pink when I achieved the blanket I can tell you !!!! - this lot have really encouraged me - now I am no longer as obsessed with making cards - its WOOL i am obsessed with now and scour ebay/charity shops and mother in laws cupboard ........ I am torn between card making - knitting and housework and I bet you can guess which one gets left behind hmmmmmmm anyway best wishes to all and happy knitting love Jaqui xx ps hope everyone has not been too affected by cold weather and that we are all managing to keep warm and safe xx
    Debt Diary: Im not going to be an Ostrich anymore -LBM - 16/1/12 /
  • chrisbethany
    Options
    Hi Kathy

I've just finished my first two preemie hats and will start a stash that I'll drop off to our local Special Baby Unit. I would love to start counting the items I make. I couldn't understand (doesn't take a lot :rolleyes: :rotfl: !) the para about joining wooligans in the first post. I read it as you need to join OECS first, but that seems to be about knitting for the elderly. Can you please spell it out for me - sorry and thanks!!

Chris :o
  • k2tog
    k2tog Posts: 1,007 Forumite
    Options
    My Mum says that they have needles, yarn and squares to be knitted in the mammography dept at our local hospital which must be better than 6 month old magazines! I'm not sure what they do with the finished squares. Does anyone know if any schools teach children how to knit? I don't think my son's does but schools would be a great resource for squares!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure