get paid £1.40 for every 150 word review you write! Amazing new site

Options

Comments

• bruffyboy
    bruffyboy Posts: 69 Forumite
    Options
    Aurelia wrote: »
    I have just signed up as I love writing reviews! Thanks for the recommendation of the site :)

No problem!
  • Buntin
    Buntin Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    Hi bruffyboy and thanks for the link.

I was wondering if you could shed any light on how I become a first reviewer for an item. I have spent a good few hours browsing the site and looking at what would be the best products for me to review, I have found that some of my idea's come up on the screen but does not say 'see reviews' under the image, so i'm presuming that this means no one has reviewed it yet? I then click on where it says 'learn more' thinking this would take me to the review link, but all it does it take me to the product website, so I'm a little confused on how to review the item.

any help would be greatly appreciated.xx
    Debts: Barcley £580 Cap1 £260 HSBC £4500 Halifax £20,000

Mad ebay challenge 7000 items/7000 to go
    Win £2008 in 2008 March wins/ziltch!
    proud to be dealing with my debts :T
  • Camp_Freddy
    Options
    bruffyboy wrote: »
    Wow, another thread of fascinating assumption! Why should this site be an enjoyable hobby? the owner made it as a business, which he will pay reviewers to write for, and which businesses will pay to be a part of - there's money the whole way through, so 'leeching' is a ridiculous suggestion!

Again, it is very rude to suggest I am stealing/paraphrasing, as I am just checking sites for dates, names etc - every product I write about I know and have seen/read/used!

PLEASE STOP MAKING ASSUMPTIONS! I posted this thread in up your income as it is a way of doing that, and I am trying to suggest to people how to do it!

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Given the paltry pay rates that these sites offer, why should sites such as comparedby, Ciao or Dooyoo be considered good or viable ways of earning an income or bolstering another income? If you're that desperate to bolster your current income, it's easier and more profitable to get a second/part-time job. As I've already stated, your earnings are not tax free... depending on what you currently earn from such sites on top of your current income means that the tax man should be taking at least 20% from you. Just because they offer monetary reward, doesn't mean you should take the urine and exploit the loopholes or cheat. Oh, and in eight plus years as a member of various review writing sites, no-one has ever successfully maintained a second income by posting reviews on these sites.[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]And, by the way, leeching is not a ridiculous suggestion. You're posting hundreds of reviews on a site with disregard to the other members of that site... a remarkable lack of respect towards the other members. If you're showing that little respect there, you're probably not caring too much about Dooyoo or Ciao members either. Comparedby may be a new site but the problem is that there is an established community on both Dooyoo and Ciao that you're wading in to and they tend not to like those that leech.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Perhaps if you were clearer in your posts, no-one would jump to conclusions, but your own posts all point to using Wikipedia to write/bulk out your reviews and IMO mislead MSE members to believe it's possible to earn serious money in the long term. While it's possible to earn a few quid quickly in the short term, you'll inevitably tramp all over existing members in a community for your eight pieces of silver. [/FONT]
  • mattygroves_3
    Options
    Wow, your reply is so full of assumption it is mind boggling (are you having a bad day or something?)

Now who is sounding sarcastic? :)
    Firstly, it's not a problem to copy or paraphrase Wikipedia if you are only looking at something like how to spell an actor's name or the year it came out; I don't have to read their summary of the plot as I have seen ithe movie myself!

Secondly, I have never, in 350 reviews, given a cast and crew (I'm not stupid, I know what a review site is about as I have read the rules and guidance).

Thirdly, I have never, ever written a 150 word review! Mine range from around 300 - 9000 (yes nine thousand).

Fourthly, my 'formula' was a basic bit of advice for those who are struggling to write efficiently, which I thought I would share as I am the original poster of this thread.

I know you are a guide on Dooyoo and have (clearly) strong feelings about review quality, length etc, but this thread isn't about Dooyoo, so don't get carried away about your suggestions on a site that doesn't have the same rules. Having had a large amount of back and forth email discussions with the owner of Comparedby, I am very happy that what I am doing there is satisfactory for their needs (in fact, my reviews are some of the best on there, as the site is struggling under the burden of poorly written, non standard English lists of product details). They are looking for concise, helpful and informative, all of which can very easily be achieved in 300 words following my magic formula!

As for the rest, I'm glad that you don't fall into the traps I described - I wasn't saying YOU did. However, you're offering a formula to folk that perhaps don't have your talent or understanding of review writing (whether short and sweet as you describe or longer and more comprehensive). There will certainly be people who will follow your formula to the letter, rather in the spirit in which you no doubt intended it. There ARE reviews who do list the entire cast of a film (or a track list of an album, or the ingredient list of a food or even cosmetic). Indeed, I've fallen in the past into the 'packaging description' trap - up to and including the bar code! (This was some time ago).

Usually, and certainly in this case, I speak far more generally than you thought I was. I've read your dooyoo reviews, and realise you are 'not stupid'. I nevertheless have concerns about advocating a formula that some folk may misinterpret due to a lack of experience.

Hope that clarifies things.

Cheers
  • sarahs999
    sarahs999 Posts: 3,751 Forumite
    Options
    You know, the team looks at each review. They can choose to disallow if they want. So if they allow it, why are other people finding it such a problem?

"You're posting hundreds of reviews on a site with disregard to the other members of that site... a remarkable lack of respect towards the other members."

I really don't understand this. Where is the disregard? Where is the disrespect? If you're posting useful reviews, what difference does it make how many there are?
  • Camp_Freddy
    Options
    sarahs999 wrote: »
    You know, the team looks at each review. They can choose to disallow if they want. So if they allow it, why are other people finding it such a problem?

Actually, they don't. I believe they take a look at some members' work when they come to cash out their "earnings", but they don't look at every single review that's posted. That's madness.
    sarahs999 wrote: »
    "You're posting hundreds of reviews on a site with disregard to the other members of that site... a remarkable lack of respect towards the other members."

I really don't understand this. Where is the disregard? Where is the disrespect? If you're posting useful reviews, what difference does it make how many there are?

Using Dooyoo or Ciao as the example here because I know them better than other sites (and because I think this thread has more wide reaching consequences than just comparedby.us), this is why posting hundreds of reviews is bad:

The list of most recent opinions, is hogged by a small number of members. As I've stated in previous posts, these sites tend to have a certain amount of community to them, some more than others. Hogging the "most recent reviews" list without thought or regard to fellow review writers is bad form. Surely no-one can argue that?

What happens if this does happen, and continues to happen over a period of time? Other members stop posting their own work either completely or lie low until these "income earners" (or churners) get bored or run out of steam. The site loses out because members are driven away. It's equally as important to the site to have viewpoints from different members as it is to have members contribute regularly. That's a worst case scenario but believe me, it does happen on the sites.

Those that post for money tend not to read around the site or, at best, don't read around the site enough because they're too busy getting their posting rewards. This imbalances the peer review system. That leaves it up to the community members (who have already been shafted by the greed of the churners) to cover the shortfall. Again, more disregard. After a while, people stop reading and rating the churners' work leaving it sitting in a system, effectively useless because it is unrated, assuming they've hung around.

Sites such as Ciao, Dooyoo, Helium, epinions etc. are all set up where member interaction (in various forms) also leads to member payment through reading/rating with a view to peer ranking of articles. It's all a matter of give and take by the members. That's partly where the community comes from. If all people are doing is publishing reviews and logging off to write something else, then that's disrespect and disregard in my opinion.

It's not just you (as a review poster) taking a few pence from the site for posting and that's that. There's a lot more to it than just bunging something out there and nipping off to write another quick review and taking something mattygroves said above into consideration... it might be well within the rules to post a hundred articles per day on the site, but it's not in the spirit of the site.

The upshot of the entire thing (writing reviews as a second income) is that I don't think it's too much to ask some people to think about things for a second before jumping in to the middle of an established community and generally, most people do. Flash some pound signs in front of people and common sense can disappear fairly quickly, sadly.
  • mujahid84
    Options
    I have signed up but cant seem to find the rate??
  • bristol_rob
    Options
    So, have you all been paid for your reviews?
  • Aurelia_2
    Aurelia_2 Posts: 117 Forumite
    Options
    I haven't been paid yet but I have $4.25 so far, so that's not a bad start :)
    £2 Savers Club no.91 = ?? (unknown until full and counted)
    Review writing = £3.60 + $25.00
    Myhpf = £4.45
    STP = £1.82 v10.04
  • west_is_best
    west_is_best Posts: 1,797 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    if you check the bottom of the home page it states that no money will be paid out because of spammers!!!!!!!!!

seems like they didnt like being told about this site!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure