PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Pudding and dessert recipes

Options

Comments

• JoeyEmma
    JoeyEmma Posts: 913 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why don't you make individual foil parcels with figs, plums and something else, roast them in the oven. Each person then gets a parcel to open on their plate. Serve them with a big bowl of marscapone with a little icing sugar and vanilla essence stirred in.
  • Lucie_2
    Lucie_2 Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Another vote for baked fruit as above. It's in one of the Jamie Oliver books...<trots off to the kitchen to see which one>.....first one, The Naked Chef. Page 198.

We did this for our last dinner party & it was fantastic served with vanilla marscapone. Everyone loved it.
  • thriftmonster
    Options
    How about some peaches cut in half with the centres filled with marzipan. Put into an ovenproof dish and slosh a little white wine or sherry over them. Bake at 170C for 20-30 mins. Serve hot, warm or cold with cream orcreme fraiche.
    “the princess jumped from the tower & she learned that she could fly all along. she never needed those wings.”
    Amanda Lovelace, The Princess Saves Herself in this One
  • Fen1
    Fen1 Posts: 1,577 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Lasagne is quite rich, so why not try SORBETTO - Northern Italian "strictly grown-up" version of slushie. Either make or buy or really good quality lemon sorbet, allow to soften, stir through a good glug of alchol (grappa would be properly Venetian, or try Marc de Champagne, vodka, Cointreau would be nice with an orange sorbet etc ). Chill again, but serve slightly soft in a tall glass.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Angua2 wrote: »
    how about Zabaglione? According to this recipe, you can do up to 3 hrs in advance.

its very nice and boozy.make homemade sponge fingers though.dont serve those trifle monstrosoties
  • frivolous_fay
    frivolous_fay Posts: 13,302 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    ATM I'm limited to instant coffee, tragically... I'd like to see more about the zabaglione but I couldn't see the recipe in the link (not a member) Could it be served in one big dish?

I suppose my instinct is for something stodgy and/or chocolatey... I'm aiming more for indulgence and gratification than worrying too much about who's feeling full up :) I don't entertain a lot and I think something wicked would go down better than fruit (yummy as it does sound... I'd eat it)

Love all the ideas though - any more?
    My TV is broken! :cry:
    Edit: refunded £515 for TV 1.5 years out of warranty - thank you Sale of Goods Act! :j
  • flossyblog
    Options
    How about

Trifle
    1 packet jelly
    ratafia biscuits
    strawberries
    ready to serve custard
    double cream -whipped
    marachino cherries
    toasted almond flakes

make jelly, when cool pour onto strawberries and ratafia biscuits in clear serving bowl, put into fridge until jelly has set
    pour on custard
    spread on double cream
    decorate with cherries and almonds

if all else fails - there's always ice cream - well - it is Italian
    Grocery challenge year budget €3K Jan €190 Feb €225 Mar €313 Apr €202 May €224 June €329 July €518 Aug €231Sep €389 Oct €314 Nov €358 Dec €335  Total spent €3628
    2021Frugal living challenge year budget €12.250 Total spent €15.678

Jan €438 Feb €1200 Mar €508  Apr €799 May €1122 June
    1595 July €835 Aug €480 Sep €957 Oct €993  Nov €909 Dec €2698

• r.mac_2
    r.mac_2 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    Options
    what about making a variation on tiramisu - a cake version.

make a victoria sponge, when cooled split in 2 and drizzle each with either some coffee (my mum uses instant) or some liquer - anything really. whip up some cream and either add some liquer or coffee or chopped up fruit and place the top back on and dust with icing sugar. yum :D

for the cake recipe I always use the 4442 recipe :D
    aless02 wrote: »
    r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
    I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response :p
  • paddy's_mum
    paddy's_mum Posts: 3,977 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Just one Cornetto ... !

Seriously, what about a plain, simple and always acceptable fruit salad (perhaps with the addition of one or two more exotic fruits - kiwi, star fruit) and a good slug of some Italian style liqueur?
  • Angua2
    Angua2 Posts: 673 Forumite
    Options
    ATM I'm limited to instant coffee, tragically... I'd like to see more about the zabaglione but I couldn't see the recipe in the link (not a member) Could it be served in one big dish?

Hold on a mo, I'll find a freeview recipe for you.

Ok, hope this link works!
    http://www.eggrecipes.co.uk/egg/recipes/Zabaglione_recipe.asp
    Still waiting for Dyson to bring out a ride-on hoover...
    Memberships:
    Bad Alba Mothers Purchase Only Tanqueray
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family