NEW: Got questions about energy? Put them to Gary and Andrew from MSE's Utilities team during our energy-themed 'Ask An Expert' event. Check back here from Tuesday 9 August, 12pm

Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah (single) - MP3/WMA/ DRM AAC download from only 49p (59p @ A

in Music MoneySaving
95 replies 20.1K views

Replies

• almondalmond Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Personally, I prefer Bon Jovi's version

*hides*

seen jon sing it live at 02 and omg brillant :T everybody is going on about the jeff buckley version and i heard it yesterday not going to upset anybody
    hear but get jons version
  • ezzmoezzmo Forumite
    304 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    sarahg1969 wrote: »
    It could have been much worse. Diana could have been singing it.

Pmsl. well said!!:T yes the Diana does, The Cranberries version would have been ghastly!
    I Can resist everything, except Temptation x:o
  • jembiejembie Forumite
    936 Posts
    Next to Jeff Buckley this has to be the best ever performance of the song :)
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ymB0VNFm6Ls

Or this one for a laugh
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=yMqLueRm3Fc
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Don't ever stop believing........
    Never get tired of watching you, someday you will break through.....
  • catkinscatkins Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    It's just a shame this version has never been officially released as IMO it blows ALL the other ones out of the water (and, to the uninformed, yes, it is a woman :rolleyes: , and arguably the best female singer on the planet).

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=P_NpxTWbovE

I so so agree. I think k.d. Lang has an incredible amazing voice. I have seen her live and she was brilliant - the best live performance I have ever seen. Her voice is so strong and powerful. She totally deserves that standing ovation on the video.

It is so annoying that someone with such a fantastic voice is so ignored and a silly X Factor winner who sobs and simpers and when she sings just warbles can ruin this song and will still get to number 1.

Mind you she could have recorded Bob the Builder and still all the leemings would have bought it just because she won X rubbish.

A few years (if that) and she will be forgotten.
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
  • Personally, I prefer k d lang's version from the BBC4 St. Luke's concert a few months ago, which I recorded (for personal use only, of course).

The whole concert will be available on Blu-Ray in the new year
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/K-D-Lang-Live-Orchestra-Blu-ray/dp/B001KEGRAW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1229417962&sr=1-1

Can't find that particular performance on YouTube, but here's one she prepared earlier (2004)
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=FTv9m8c6hnw
  • regardless of which version you like (cohen, buckley, kd lang) i think the general consenus is most of us like the song the way it was meant to be sung (is that a word?) and that is of course in a soft somber style.

rather than over the top in a 'look everyone i can sing' fashion.

I think if they really wanted to tell if anyone even liked the x-factor songs they should release them a few weeks before christmas and if they were half as good as the saturday night couch potato crowd that buys their records think they are then they would still be there come Christmas day and yet OTHER artists would stand a chance.

we dont get to wish songs like bob the builder beat out eminem to the number one spot anymore - it's dull. I'd rather a travesty got there on it's own than being force fed at just the right time of year.

Is Alexandra's version even the full one does anyone know? I know the one she sang on TV wasn't.
  • jembiejembie Forumite
    936 Posts

we dont get to wish songs like bob the builder beat out eminem to the number one spot anymore - it's dull. I'd rather a travesty got there on it's own than being force fed at just the right time of year.

I agree. Everyone should go out and buy Geraldine's Christmas song and make that number 1 instead...That would stick it to Mr High pants Cowell!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Don't ever stop believing........
    Never get tired of watching you, someday you will break through.....
  • ljw2701ljw2701 Forumite
    169 Posts
    Part of the Furniture
    Forumite
    While KD Lang's version is good, I also had the privilege of seeing Leonard Cohen sing this twice this year:j - Manchester in June and Glasgow in November - and believe that no-one can sing it like the man who wrote it!

However, if Alexandra's version brings Cohen to the attention of a wider audience then I have no real complaints.
  • but it won't. will it?

itll bring alexandra to the attention of an audience. how many kids do you know who listen to the original just because the song they like has been covered? If they did then rap music would be re-igniting 70's and 80's pop songs.
  • TotoToto Forumite
    6.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    As a musician who has played this tune more times than I've had hot dinners i'm totally sick of it :) I think this thread has shown the world and his aunt have covered it. All we need now is an x factor cover of car wash and Imagine and we'd have the complete set.:rotfl:
    :A
    :A
    "Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid" - Albert Einstein
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Homes, hornets & high heels

This week's MSE Forum highlights

MSE Forum

Kids eat for 'free' or £1 this summer

Little ones can enjoy hot meals for less

MSE Deals