NEW: Got questions about energy? Put them to Gary and Andrew from MSE's Utilities team during our energy-themed 'Ask An Expert' event. Check back here from Tuesday 9 August, 12pm

Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah (single) - MP3/WMA/ DRM AAC download from only 49p (59p @ A

in Music MoneySaving
95 replies 20.1K views

Replies

• jkbjkb Forumite
    224 Posts
    Personally I would like Geraldine McQueen (Peter Kay) Once Upon a Christmas to get to number 1.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2008/dec/15/peter-kay-christmas-single

I'm all for the X Factor lot with Help the Heroes good on them (my brother is in the forces and has been to Iraq & Afgan) BUT I am fed up with X Factor winners always being number 1 at Xmas - its taken the excitement out of it all. Always used to be a big thing the Christmas number 1.

Peter Kay is hilarious!!
  • Personally, I prefer Bon Jovi's version

*hides*

I'll have to hide too then:o
    Saw them live at the O2 singing it and they rocked it:D And at Hampden:D
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell
  • sw_minasw_mina Forumite
    440 Posts
    The only redeeming factor in this is that Leonard Cohen will get a million from it (http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/music/article5333323.ece) - not nearly enough for the rape of his song, if you ask me. The girl clearly has no understanding about the lyrics, it's dreadful. Search YouTube for Cohen singing it with meaning behind it.
  • pandora205pandora205 Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I agree that the Cohen version is the original and best (in fact he wrote several versions - the song took years to reach the current wording), though having just listened to Jeff Buckley's for the first time this is very moving though without Cohen's grit. And he's still singing it (Cohen obviously not Buckley) at 74. I heard him do a very moving rendition at the NEC last month.

I did think Alexandra's version was lovely though it rather misses the depths of Cohen's original and his references to loneliness and lost love are very much his own.
    somewhere between Heaven and Woolworth's
  • To be fair, if Cohen's manager hadn't diddled him out of his pension pot I'm suspecting he wouldn't still be singing it or any song, the poor sod.
    Call me Carmine....

HAVE YOU SEEN QUENTIN'S CASHBACK CARD??
  • moxie_2moxie_2 Forumite
    609 Posts
    To be fair, if Cohen's manager hadn't diddled him out of his pension pot I'm suspecting he wouldn't still be singing it or any song, the poor sod.

I'm sure that's right, but having seen him twice this year, he clearly enjoyed himself no end. :D I'm sure he has no regrets about going on the road again.
    Total debt May 2005 £83,232 :eek:
    Total Debt November 2009 £0! DEBT FREE!
    Proud to have dealt with my debts
    Official DFW Nerd Club member no. 028
  • Lol...my twopennies worth is
    I hate Jeff Buckleys depressing version so much that when i heard the x-factor winner was going to sing it, I was sure I would hate it......but she sings it beautifully without it being dreary....

Philistine alert!

I'm all for getting JB to number one! I think it's fabulous that we can all now make the decision to champion a song to get to the top without having to rally a record company to release it as a tangible form. Just shows what strength in numbers can do. And the Jeff Buckley version is so absolutely mind blowingly beautiful that I think everyone should download it just to be able to listen to it, Swoooooon.
  • sw_minasw_mina Forumite
    440 Posts
    pandora205 wrote: »
    And he's still singing it (Cohen obviously not Buckley) at 74. I heard him do a very moving rendition at the NEC last month.

Hey, snap! He was a legend there. I feel sorry for him having to re-create a retirement fund, but it was incredible seeing him live (... twice...)
  • xellieqx wrote: »
    Philistine alert!

I'm all for getting JB to number one! I think it's fabulous that we can all now make the decision to champion a song to get to the top without having to rally a record company to release it as a tangible form. Just shows what strength in numbers can do. And the Jeff Buckley version is so absolutely mind blowingly beautiful that I think everyone should download it just to be able to listen to it, Swoooooon.

So, because someone doesn't like a singer/song you clearly love they are a philistine? Way to go :rolleyes: Whilst I wouldn't describe Buckley's version as depressing IMO there are far better versions out there, for instance K D Lang's LIVE version blows Buckley's version clean out of the water. IMO. The disadvantage she has, of course, is she's not particularly physically attractive and, of course, very much alive ;) . It's all about opinions, of course, no-one is right and no-one is wrong and no-one is a philistine for not loving one version. Grow up.
    Call me Carmine....

HAVE YOU SEEN QUENTIN'S CASHBACK CARD??
  • So, because someone doesn't like a singer/song you clearly love they are a philistine? Way to go :rolleyes: Whilst I wouldn't describe Buckley's version as depressing IMO there are far better versions out there, for instance K D Lang's LIVE version blows Buckley's version clean out of the water. The disadvantage she has, of course, is she's not particularly physically attractive and, of course, very much alive ;) . It's all about opinions, of course, no-one is right and no-one is wrong and no-one is a philistine for not loving one version. Grow up.

I totally forgot that humour and tongue-very-firmly-in-cheek comments are a total no-go on the internet! ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Homes, hornets & high heels

This week's MSE Forum highlights

MSE Forum

Kids eat for 'free' or £1 this summer

Little ones can enjoy hot meals for less

MSE Deals