PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Christmas Dinner (preparing in advance)

Options

Comments

• mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    yes microwave. Will see what we can do re covering the sink, it would really help. TY everybody :)
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    My kitchen is quite small but we manage to cook for anything up to 20 people every year, the secret is plannning and keeping people out of the kitchen good luck...
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • carriebradshaw
    carriebradshaw Posts: 1,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 September 2010 at 4:36PM
    Options
    you could 'mock roast' the potatoes and parsnips by par-boiling and then cooking in a deep fat fryer,if you have one I've done this before and they always get eaten up without question or complaint.

meant to say that you can get insulated bowls for the veg so you can cook them in advance and they keep food hot for up to 4 hours,can't remember the brand name though sorry I saw them on QVC a while ago
  • pinkmami
    pinkmami Posts: 1,110 Forumite
    edited 29 September 2010 at 3:43PM
    Options
    I always cook the bird (22lb) & prepare all the veg on Christmas Eve & even cook some - carrots, broccoli, cauliflower & the tatties for the roasties. Cool them & cover with cling & fridge them. Only have to cook the boiled tatties, sprouts, chipolatas, yorkshires, stuffing & roasties on the morning & ping the rest in the micro. Saves me a lot of time cos I have 3 young kids I prefer to be with them (who wouldn't eh!)

I'm not bothering with Christmas pudding neither. My dad & I were the only ones who enjoyed it, DH ate it to be sociable, kids aren't bothered- only in the selection boxes & DH's aunt prefers trifle. So I'll switch on the slow cooker & make rice pudding which we'll all enjoy.
  • Vaila
    Vaila Posts: 6,301 Forumite
    Options
    if all else fails stick some m&s roast tatties in the oven defrost a frozen gateux and decork that wine !!
  • Gettingtherequickly
    Options
    Plans at the mo are a bit hit & miss, but it looks as if on the day, it will be my mum (coming over from Ireland), brother & I and then over to aunt for tea, but it could end us with us all there for lunch.

Bruv & I both agree that it is only a glorified roast and as we don't particularly like turkey, I am planning on getting a boned stuffed leg in case anyone wants some, but we are going for a nice roast of beef, yum yum:)

I have made the cake and intend to make the mince pies over the weekend and think I will generate a drawer in the freezer specifically for Christmas, but what else can I put in it? Is it worthwhile getting the veg prepped and in that drawer? What else can I do? Ideally I would like to be able to change plan at last minute, but not feel under pressure and still know that everything is freshly prepared.

No idea on what to do as starter, so any ideas on that front would be fab:)
    A smile costs little but creates much :)
  • v8monkeyboy
    Options
    Hi,

I would prepare the veg and also the gravy if you can make that in advance, unless you prefer to use the meat juices from to make it.

We're having pate for starter, as per OH's request, but I don't know what kind. Very probably a chicken liver pate, or if he's bad, a lentil one :p (I love lentil pate, but he's not that keen!). I believe it's traditional to have soup as a starter, so if you did that, you could always make it now and freeze that too :j

HTH,

Tracy xx
  • Gettingtherequickly
    Options
    Hi,

I would prepare the veg and also the gravy if you can make that in advance, unless you prefer to use the meat juices from to make it.

We're having pate for starter, as per OH's request, but I don't know what kind. Very probably a chicken liver pate, or if he's bad, a lentil one :p (I love lentil pate, but he's not that keen!). I believe it's traditional to have soup as a starter, so if you did that, you could always make it now and freeze that too :j

HTH,

Tracy xx

Already ahead of you there, soup already in freezer!
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Gettingtherequickly,

I prefer to cook the veg fresh on the day, but I do make up the stuffing and pre-cook the roast potatoes and freeze in advance.

These threads have lots of advice on preparing for Christmas in advance:

Old style Preparations for Christmas 2010!!

I'll add your thread to one of the above later.

Also there are lots more tips on this board:

Christmas & Other Yuletide Festivals Board

Pink
  • Gettingtherequickly
    Options
    Hi Gettingtherequickly,

I prefer to cook the veg fresh on the day, but I do make up the stuffing and pre-cook the roast potatoes and freeze in advance.

These threads have lots of advice on preparing for Christmas in advance:

Old style Preparations for Christmas 2010!!

I'll add your thread to one of the above later.

Also there are lots more tips on this board:

Christmas & Other Yuletide Festivals Board

Pink

I wouldn't cook the veg until the day, but don't see any harm in actually dicing fresh carrotts etc & then freezing. Can you freez courgettes?:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure