PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Christmas Dinner (preparing in advance)

Options

Comments

• ragz_2
    ragz_2 Posts: 3,254 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I cooked xmas dinner in a similar situation, I cheated slightly...
    I precooked and froze all the roast veg and as many of the other side dishes as I could, precooked the meats the day before then just reheated and cooked other bits on the day. That year it was out of necessity but now I do it to give myself a break on the day.
    I'm sure you'll be fine witout a table, I grew up without one and although I eat all meals at dining table now I survived my childhood with no ill effects from eating xmas dinner on my knee!
    June Grocery Challenge £493.33/£500 July £/£500
    2 adults, 3 teens
    Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
  • seraphina
    seraphina Posts: 1,145 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can you get a board that fits over the sink? That will give you extra space; you can get someone to lift it if you actually need to put stuff in the sink.
  • Maxjessdru
    Options
    I also have a small kitchen (but not quite as small as your daughter's) and have made Christmas dinner for 10 before! I would also go with the pre-prepared route - if she precooks (till 3/4 done) the veggies and then plunges them into ice cold water, they can be stored OK over night and then just quickly finished off on the day. I use a large stacked steamer pan - potatoes in the bottom pan, then brussels in one steamer and carrots in the other. Same with the turkey - cook the day before then reheat in the oven with a little water and covered in foil. Pigs in blankets and roasties best done on the day I always think! For pud, I usually do trifle - again finished the day before and kept in the fridge. Xmas dinner on a tray still tastes like Xmas dinner!
  • anguk
    anguk Posts: 3,412 Forumite
    edited 17 September 2010 at 5:47PM
    Options
    I normally roast the turkey and make the stuffing the day before and part cook and freeze all the veg in the weeks running up to Christmas so that on the day itself everything just needs sticking in the steamer or oven. I used to hate spending hours in and out of the kitchen on Christmas day so now it only takes about half an hour start to finish.

I would use the oven to reheat the meat and finish off the frozen roast potatoes & veg, an electric steamer for any other veg and the hob for the gravy. I'd also treat myself to some disposable roasting tins to save on the washing up. ;)
    Dum Spiro Spero
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Great ideas, thank you all !
  • babyshoes
    babyshoes Posts: 1,771 Forumite
    Options
    I agree with cheating as much as possible - frozen roasties/yorkies/parsnips/other veg etc can all be bunged in the oven together in a foil tray. Foil trays are usually cheapest from poundshops/wilkos. I am always amazed at the price of them in the supermarkets!

Also, take all drinks and uncooked veg out the fridge and use a poundshop cooler bag (or two) and ice bricks so there is space to store pre-cooked meat etc overnight. Hell, at that time of year you could even store milk, soft drinks etc outside / on the windowsill if there is somewhere that it won't get nicked!
    Trust me - I'm NOT a doctor!
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Oh, nothing will get nicked. Farm cottage on a hilltop with only 2 neighbours !
  • kippers
    kippers Posts: 2,061 Forumite
    Options
    I have a tiny kitchen and cooked for 9 people last year. The only way i can do this is by using my oven for a turkey crown and then for roast pots and then roast parsnips. The veg cook on the hob and use my steamer. I microwave the xmas pud (i buy a ready made one). I serve the veg up in serving dishes which i cover with foil and put on the table. the turkey crown also gets carved on the table. Yorkshire puds go in the oven for 4 mins at the end (sorry i buy shop bought ones).

It is possible to do with good planning and alot of juggling
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,712 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    mardatha

Does she have a microwave?

If so, put the pudding in that, as it is a lot quicker and as nice IMO.

Definately think about the surface over the sink. if she cannot get one that fits, then fasten two small battens to the underside ofr a bit of MDF or ply to stop it slipping about.

She could do things like the stuffing and veggies in advance (not quite finished). Make gravy in advance. Then all the stuff that needs re-heating can go back in the oven whilst the turkey rests.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi mardatha,

This thread has lots of tips on getting as much of the preparation for Christmas done in advance which should make things easier for your daughter:

Christmas dinner - preparing in advance

Once you've had some more suggestions I'll add this thread to the Old style Preparations for Christmas 2010!! thread as your question may help others.

I hope you all have a lovely day.

Pink
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family