PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Christmas Dinner (preparing in advance)

Options

Comments

• Tish_P
    Tish_P Posts: 812 Forumite
    Options
    Eek!

How traditional does the dinner have to be? I'd be tempted to cut the number of cooked dishes right back and serve things that can be prepared in advance wherever possible - salad instead of sprouts, special ice cream instead of Christmas pudding, that kind of thing.
  • adelight
    adelight Posts: 2,658 Forumite
    Options
    Could you prep all the veg at yours and take it to hers? Or do it on a board in another room. Would save lots of surface space!
    Stack the veg in a steamer so there are less pots around. You could lay a big sturdy chopping board over the sink when you need more surface space, or use the draining board.
    Living cheap in central London :rotfl:
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    I suggested the cold buffet/salad/ice cream & trifle thing but she doesnt want that. Will think what I can do here Adelight ta.
    And Linda.... NO TABLE !:rotfl: Tiny wee house with just enough room for the suite and telly !:D
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    I suggested the cold buffet/salad/ice cream & trifle thing but she doesnt want that. Will think what I can do here Adelight ta.
    And Linda.... NO TABLE !:rotfl: Tiny wee house with just enough room for the suite and telly !:D

Brave Lady :beer: you should be proud :D
  • mardatha
    Options
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    We might just end up with turkey sandwiches !!
  • flipperOSN
    Options
    My sister always cooks her turkey the day before and warms some up for the meal. You'd still have to store it somewhere though!
    Old-Style Enthusiast :j
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,611 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don't want to sound patronising but is the plan to make a traditional roast for 8 people and then sit around eating it off your laps? I'm sure there are ways we could help you prepare the meal (microwave, steamer, cook turkey night before etc etc) but surely eating it is going to be a problem if there's only a suite in the sitting room?

Might it be better to forget the traditional meal on Christmas Day and have a buffet or something from the slow cooker (like a curry/chilli/casserole) and have the traditional meal at someone else's house on Boxing Day or New Year? I do undestand why she wants to invite everyone to her new home but maybe a big dinner is too ambitious.
  • mardatha
    Options
    She has had houses before without a table in, and we always managed with trays etc maman. It's become a tradition and she wants to keep it going..
  • mummyslittleboy
    Options
    She has had houses before without a table in, and we always managed with trays etc maman. It's become a tradition and she wants to keep it going..

I think it is lovely of her to have so many people only tip I can think of is I always cook my turkey the night before and just warm through on the day it does save a lot of messing about hope you all have a lovely day.

Oh and definetly get a steamer it will save the pots and pans I used to have the tesco value one £12 if i remember right and it was great especially christmas day:D
    :jmember of the thrifty gifty 2011 :j
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,611 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

What a lovely girl, she's a star.

In that case, what I'd do is cook the turkey the night before, slice it, cover with foil and just reheat it on the day. I might also make the gravy at the same time. That way all the need for space when carving/basting/stuffing etc is out of the way. I'd use a steamer and/or microwave to cut down on hob space for veg. I'd cheat and buy Auntie Bessie's roasts and custard in cartons or cream to have with (microwaved) pudding. I'd do the 'pigs in blankets' the day before too and reheat in the oven. Then I'd serve things up in big foil trays and put them round the kitchen (on top of cooker, draining board etc) for people to help themselves and take through to the sitting room. The foil trays can go in the oven to keep leftovers hot if anyone wants seconds and she'll only have minimum clearing up afterwards. I know all this is not strictly MSE but it's Christmas!! Oh and pour her a large drink!!:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure