PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Christmas Dinner (preparing in advance)

Options

Comments

• LJM
    LJM Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    Options
    i have to say i do do this anything which makes more time for me to spend with my girls, i also pot up the veg the night before too, i dont put my meat in slow cooker though i slice put it in gravy in the oven along with the roasties never had a problem or stress xmas day
    :xmastree:Is loving life right now,yes I am a soppy fool who believes in the simple things in life :xmastree:
  • Phoolgrrrl
    Options
    My mum puts the turkey in before goin to be on christmas eve then it's cooked when we get up. We still get up abt half 6! She carves and then reheats in the oven at lunch time with the pots and roast parsnips cooking. Tastes good!
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am thinking of cooking my turkey on christmas eve and then put it in slow cooker with gravy on christmas day. Has anyone tried this and if so does it taste nice?

How big is your slow cooker that you can get a turkey in it?:eek:

(ETA: Then I realised you were going to carve it first:D)

As for tasting nice? Well, it's a turkey so probably not.

I have to say what you suggest doesn't appeal to me and I certainly wouldn't do it if I wanted to produce something I hoped would be any good.
  • wallbash
    wallbash Posts: 17,775 Forumite
    Options
    How long are you all cooking the bird for , is it a Turkey or an Ostrich?

Turkey will be cooked Xmas morning , yes it will take a couple of hours , but I won't be staring at for all that time !!! Stick it in the oven , baste it a couple of times , work wise thats 5 mins ( total)

Ps yes I will prepare all veg ( apart from parsnips ) xmas eve.
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'll cook mine on christmas morning as well, or more to the point the oven will :D

However, if you want to cook it on christmas eve, then by all means it will be fine. This is how I re-heat chicken/turkey, shread into bits, cover with gravy and put in oven, gas mk 6 for half an hour, thats enough for two people in my oven.

That dosn't sound very christmassy though to me, just like a weekday dinner.
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    I am thinking of cooking my turkey on christmas eve and then put it in slow cooker with gravy on christmas day. Has anyone tried this and if so does it taste nice?

It doesn;t appeal to me - DH and I (and laterly the children :D ) love making the Festive Meal together, so it's not a chore.

I'll add this to the existing thread on cooking the Christmas meal ahead, which might give you more ideas.
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    LandyAndy wrote: »
    As for tasting nice? Well, it's a turkey so probably not.

i have to take issue with this - a good turkey, cooked well, is delicious :p
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • wallbash
    wallbash Posts: 17,775 Forumite
    Options
    I refer you to post #13

Its got nothing to do with Turkey but was well written and researched some time ago!!
  • Psykicpup
    Psykicpup Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Anita1075 wrote: »
    We usually have a big scramble for presents first thing in the morning but I'm determined to spread it out a bit more this year and keep some presents back for after the meal so there is something else to open up then.

A tradition we have (well when the kids where still home) was to have tree presents .. these are just tiny little things, such as a pair of earrings for girls (or a miniature bottle for the grown-ups lol). These are always opened after the meal & hopefully so well hidden everyone forgets they are there until then anyway hehe

We extended this to Table presents too again smallish presents ... these are usually opened between dinner & pud (or while waiting for the gravy to actually heat/thicken) ... anything to keep over excited kids at the table away from the chocolates for a few more minutes ......:rotfl:
    I THINK is a whole sentence, not a replacement for I Know

Supermarket Rebel No 19:T
  • Vaila
    Vaila Posts: 6,301 Forumite
    Options
    Psykicpup wrote: »
    A tradition we have (well when the kids where still home) was to have tree presents .. these are just tiny little things, such as a pair of earrings for girls (or a miniature bottle for the grown-ups lol). These are always opened after the meal & hopefully so well hidden everyone forgets they are there until then anyway hehe

We extended this to Table presents too again smallish presents ... these are usually opened between dinner & pud (or while waiting for the gravy to actually heat/thicken) ... anything to keep over excited kids at the table away from the chocolates for a few more minutes ......:rotfl:

interesting idea, we usually opened half of our presents in the morning then the gifts from guests and any un opened presents after dinner

now i even keep a few back to open on boxing day :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure