PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

New year Old Style resolutions...

1282930313234»

Comments

• blossomhill_2
    blossomhill_2 Posts: 1,923 Forumite
    edited 1 January 2012 at 10:12AM
    Hi Folks, Happy New Year
    Before you set your resolutions ... be kind to yourself for your 2012 resolutions – if you set yourself up for certain failure you will feel a failure and dump them by February
    This is aimed at those who find it hard to get their homes organised; take a leaf out of businesses’ books and set yourselves SMART resolutions, in the same way that employees should have SMART objectives.
    I hope they are useful, they are not aimed to be perfect, so any management-types or board-snipes need not let me know if they think they can do better, they are just a guide to help the chaotic among us to stop beating ourselves up

What does SMART mean for me?
    Specific
    Specific objectives are clear and well-defined.
    Measurable
    It is very useful to know when that work has been done and the objectives are completed, rather than some vague notion
    Achievable
    Achievable objectives ensure that what you are planning is actually possible and that if you don’t reach the goal you can see why.
    Relevant
    Objectives should also be useful, no point being perfect at something that’s no use to you
    Timely
    Realistic timescales are also useful, to make sure you are being reasonable – if it’s a 2year project you may need to enlist some outside help instead of expecting to do it yourself

Examples of good and bad
    You want to keep a bedroom tidy
    Specific
    SMART: I will always keep the carpet clear in 2012 so I can vacuum under the bed ;)
    Not SMART: I will keep the bedroom tidy in 2012

Measurable
    SMART: I hang my work clothes on a hanger or put in the washing basket within an hour of getting changed every work day :cool:
    NOT SMART: I will be better about dumping clothes in the floor (how would you have measured “better”? You would probably still think you’d failed if you had an 80% improvement)

Achievable
    SMART: I will find a carpenter and get a quote for my new wardrobes in 2012 :D
    NOT SMART: I will get the wardrobes sorted (not achievable if building them is beyond your capabilities, or you can’t afford them)

Relevant
    SMART: I will always put the CD back in its case before loading a new one :rotfl:
    NOT SMART: I will catalogue my CD collection in 2012 (not relevant in a busy household)

Timely
    SMART: I will put the washing away within 3 hours of taking it into the bedroom :p
    NOT SMART: I won’t leave clean washing around in the bedroom for the cat to sit on (you could achieve this by shutting the cat out but your bedroom would still be untidy!)

If you fail at any of these, check if they are still reasonable
    eg
    “I will always out my work clothes on a hanger or in the washing basket within an hour of getting changed” may need to be adjusted to allow for the odd occasion when you have been to a works do and come home a little tipsy, to
    I will always out my work clothes on a hanger or in the washing basket within an hour of getting changed,unless I’ve been for a drink, in which case I will do it by 10am next day

HTH, let me know how you get on and best wishes for 2012 - Blossomhill
    You never know how far-reaching something good, that you may do or say today, may affect the lives of others tomorrow
  • As this has fallen from the front page of OS, I'll add it to the exisitng thread :)
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport