New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Grrr - blue badge

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Disability Money Matters
518 replies 37.1K views

Replies

• MojisolaMojisola Forumite
    33.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Teahfc wrote: »
    PS on Blue badges I do think they should have the picture of the owner of the badge !

They do but it's on the back so can't be seen unless someone in authority asks to see it. That's how people get away with using someone else's badge.
  • InvasionInvasion Forumite
    586 posts
    I feel I've been very lucky in that in the short time I've had my badge I've merely had dirty looks thrown my way! I'm 17 and don't look disabled until someone sees me move or in my wheelchair.

Until I had my BB (our county won't give them to ANYONE unless you have HRM, unless you're over 65, and I was stuck in the appeals process) I didn't park in disabled bays, even though this meant there were places I couldn't go, because we couldn't park the car AND get my wheelchair out and hospital appointments were a nightmare due to the lack of ramps in the normal car parks.

There is a huge lack of disabled bays though, quite often even in large car parks there are 4-7 bays and all are taken, whilst there are many more parent and child bays, I understand they too have pushchairs and the like to get out, but they're generally less bulky and require less assembly than a wheelchair, plus child can be carried round to the back of the car, pushchair doesn't have to get right up against the door like a wheelchair, unless of course child is disabled.
    Late. Must stop rambling ;)
  • I still do not understand why some areas are automatically giving out BB's to over 65's without any disability. No wonder there is a shortage of disabled parking spaces. My Mum is just coming up for 70 shes fit as a fiddle and like she said she would not dream of asking for a badge.
  • Dave101tDave101t Forumite
    4.2K posts
    those spaces work on an honour system, you cant be fined for abusing them but you could report the car to customer services and they could issue a warning to the offender.
    the land belongs to the shop, they can ban anyone they like from shopping there for any reason!
    Target Savings by end 2009: 20,000
    current savings: 20,500 (target hit yippee!)
    Debts: 8000 (student loan so doesnt count)

new target savings by Feb 2010: 30,000
  • savemoneysavemoney Forumite
    18.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From my understanding, a shop over a certain size that has parking has to provide percentage of disabled spaces by law but dont have to provide P&C spaces, they do that to retain customers only.

My local supermarket Morrisons have told me that we can park in a P&C space when the disabled spaces are full, which is 90% of the time, I haven't done that as yet.
    Annieuk75 wrote: »
    On the other hand, I find it equally annoying when disabled badge holders park in the parent bays. I understand the point about letting children walk to the supermarket, but when they are babies, it is far easier to be parked near the enterance, particularly in bad weather. When my son is old enough to walk safely to the store, I will use normal bays, but at the moment, I use the parent bays as they are safer for him.
  • zztopgirlzztopgirl Forumite
    676 posts
    Its funny when we go out and park in a bb bay, especially in a car park and I look round and see other people (especially elderly who seem to just sit in their cars) watching us and can tell they think we have no right to park there, etc, etc, cos we are young but heading towards middle aged lol, then oh climbs out and into his w/chair.

Oh has only been shouted at once in the time we have been together, he had just parked up, a woman pulled up alongside and yelled at him that he didnt have the right to park there, would have loved to have read her mind 5 minutes later when he wheeled up behind her in a queue. It would have been more polite to park first then ask us calmly if he had a bb, and not to act in a threatening manner.

Anyway going off subject, oh is too ill to drive at the moment and has to use buses instead, bus drivers and mothers with huge unfoldable prams please take note that someone in a w/chair has not got the option of being able to get out and fold up the w/chair. Prams do not take priority over the disabled in the wheelchair spaces! I know this has been a hot debate with friends but when my children were babies, I always used easy to fold buggies on public transport.
  • Annieuk75Annieuk75 Forumite
    399 posts
    I agree that wheelchairs should take priority over prams, but unfortunatley, because people don't help each other anymore, it isn't always possible to fold up a pram. I have a 19 month old, and I prefer to use the bus instead of driving. It is easier now because he can stand up, but when he was younger, I was unable to lift him out and fold up the pram. Nobody offers to help, and people just look down at the floor and listen to you struggle.
  • zztopgirlzztopgirl Forumite
    676 posts
    Sorry am going completely off topic now but worse still is the elderly tut-tutting and saying loudly that in their day, they walked everywhere with the prams, and no doubt too all disabled were shut away in insitutions! I used to walk as much as I could despite my arthritis, and used the buggy as a zimmer frame :rotfl:
  • jenhugjenhug Forumite
    2.3K posts
    our local supermarket (its a sainsburys savacentre so lots of little shops and a big supermarket) has lots of disabled bays, at different distances to the shops, some are very close, some are further out, (same with parent and toddler bays too) if you are parked in a disabled bay without a valid badge they do clamp, and charge around £90 to release you! Its amazing how many spaces have been freed up.
  • peterg1965peterg1965 Forumite
    2.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have enjoyed reading this thread! My son is tetraplegic and has Cerebral Palsy - he has a BB. The car we drive is a huge Mercedes 4x4 (GL320), black with privacy glass, it is big enough to fit either of his wheelchairs in (electric and manual). I too get very annoyed when non entitled (no BB) people park in disabled bays, but do enjoy the stares and accusing looks from people when I drive up and park in a disabled bay, these usually continue until I open the tailgate and get my son's wheelchair out!

The problem with the system is that it is open to huge abuse and is not enforced strictly enough, particularly on private land such as supermarket car parks. There have also been too many BBs handed out by councils, and it seems to me that some just appear to be handed out to people simply becuase they are old and not particularly disabled in any way, although I admit appearances can be deceptive.

I have never been verbally challenged when parking in a disabled bay and I also never, ever abuse the system (ie use the badge without my son in the car).
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support