Grrr - blue badge

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Disability Money Matters
518 replies 37.1K views

Replies

• edited 19 May 2009 at 7:46AM
    Tally-Ho_2Tally-Ho_2 Forumite
    369 posts
    edited 19 May 2009 at 7:46AM
    I said I was going to get in touch with Tesco the other day here is their reply:

Thank you for your reply.

I'm sorry you feel that you the information given by *** is incorrect because you have never seen stickers on any of these cars in 6 years. I certainly don't think for one minute that you are making a fuss over nothing, you have every right to feel strongly about the misuse of these carparks.

*** is one of our Customer Services assistants at the ******* store, and I'm certain that the information she gave me would be correct. It's maybe that you have never had the opportunity to witness this procedure happening.

Hopefully, the new trial of imposing fines in some of our car parks will become UK wide soon, then this will hopefully stop these drivers from abusing our disabled, and Mother & Toddler, car spaces.

Thank you once again, for taking the time to share you views with me. Take care and have a lovely day.

I had to e mail them 6 times to get this, allegedly they put stickers on the not showing a blue badge, they are liars most definately.

Very interesting that.

Although I would dearly love to know what legislation gives Tesco the powers of 'imposing fines' (their words).

Only the Police, Councils, or certain contractors to Network Rail on Railway Station car parks (under Railway Byelaws), can issue fines in the form of Penalty Charge Notices.

The only thing Private Car Park operators (or contractors to them) can do is issue what amounts to an invoice for breach of the implied terms of parking on their lands. These invoices have no power of a 'fine' and although the car park owners/contractor can apply to the DVLA for keeper details, the 'implied contract' is actually with the driver of the car, not the owner.

In other words, their alleged 'fines' are more or less unenforcable. They may huff and puff and send a few nasty letters to the keeper, but there is no compulsion to pay them.

I know there are moves in Scotland to make all Disabled Car Park spaces (whether on private or public lands) 'enforcible' and allow Councils to issue Penalty Charge Notices on private lands, but until such legislation is introduced Tesco (viz the local authority) cannot 'fine' anyone on private land and even then it will only apply in Scotland. The same legislation the Scots are proposing really needs to be introduced nationally.

It would also require statute amendment to the rules of usage of the Blue Badge as well, as in current legislation it specifically states that the Blue Badge scheme only operates 'on a road' and not on car parks, private lands etc.

As a disabled person myself, I hate it when none entitled drivers park in a disabled bay, but unfortunately current legislation is not geared to deal with the problem on private lands, which as people become more aware of this, leads to further abuse of disabled spaces.

The answer - lobby your MP to get the law changed. It is the only way that abusers of Disabled Spaces on private lands can be brought to justice.
  • clarissaclarissa Forumite
    87 posts
    Since I've had my BB I've been able to park very close to Tesco's entrance so I've not had to use a disabled space. I don't need extra room so don't like to take spaces that other people may need more than me - I have problems with distance and don't use a wheelchair unless absolutely necessary.

I'm sure my local Tesco's used to place a large sticker on the window when a car was parked in a disabled bay without a badge. Is this not acceptable these days?

I think a really big paper notice, gently adhered at each corner, politely pointing out the inappropriate parking in 3inch high red letters on a yellow background, should be put across the windscreen. This would ensure that everyone going into the store would see the culprits and extent of the problem and the driver would have to face the prospect of publically removing the sign from the car before driving off. No doubt this would hurt some poor soul's feelings though and be unacceptable!
  • daskadaska Forumite
    6.2K posts
    We used to live on a private road and the advice the police gave us was that they couldn't tell us what to do about it because it was outside their remit but that a sticky notice on the driver's window (on glass because the glue could damage paintwork) would be a tactic would cause a lot of inconvenience to the driver, especially if it were raining and they had to drive home with their window open, but wouldn't be a criminal offence. We tried it and it worked very well.
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants - Michael Pollan
    48 down, 22 to go
    Low carb, low oxalate Primal + dairy
    From size 24 to 16 and now stuck...
  • LilacPixieLilacPixie Forumite
    8.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I remember many years ago having a 'heated discussion' about the then orange badges.

I was driving my uncles car as he didn't feel well enought to do so, it was a mobility car (i was a nominated driver) as he was a paraplegic but he had some financial matters to attend to at his local bank so I parked in a disabled space outside the branch, got out his wheelchair, got him in it and pushed him into the branch. the branch itself was quite small and I had no reason to know what my uncle was there discussing so I arranged to wait in the car and have a member of staff pop out to tell me when to come back and collect him.

Of course while i was waiting a total cow of a traffic warden came by and told me to move, I refused on the basis that I was entitled to be in that space as uncle was badge holder and he was in the bank and I was just his nominated driver and she gave this crap about how orange badges could only be used by the holders if they were driving. I ended up gettign a £30 ticket which was promptly overturned.
    MF aim 10th December 2020 :j:eek:
    MFW 2012 no86 OP 0/2000 :D
  • lexi1980lexi1980 Forumite
    2 posts
    Im a newbie and so glad I have found this site. It has helped me to feel im not alone. Im 29 and last year hit with a critical illness. A rare blood disorder (HUS) and Kidney Failure (TTP), its genetic and no cure so life has completely changed for me. I get so down at times as with everything going on, on top Im having to deal with day to day judgement behaviours from general people who dont know me. Looking at me you would instantly think Im a young healthy fit person yet inside riddle with a blood disorder that causes complications. I experience every time people looking at me when parking in disabled spaces, worse case was a 50 year old couple watching me the whole time (even though showing my blue badge), following me and watching my every move in the supermarket isles, it felt awful. Until now I think I must have lived in a bubble, I cant believe how hard and judgemental the society is, if you dont have a visable disability your faking it and I feel I have to constantly justify myself, give proof that this is my life. I do feel like shouting out, have my life or any kind of disability for the day and lets see how you think then, would you be so judgemental? :confused:
  • BrightnessBrightness Forumite
    293 posts
    A friend of mine who was a wheelchair user (she's now gone to the place in the sky where we are all fit young and healthy - her words before she went), she was a real character and used to print up stickers that must have been a nightmare to get off glass.

Any cars that were parked in disabled bays without a disabled tax disc or badge were promptly 'Cathy'd' The stickers said 'You've got my bl**dy space, do you want my bl**dy disability - now try getting this sticker off - oh and have a nice day!'.

She offered me some stickers to use but I wouldn't have had the nerve that she had. She had such a sort life but lived it to the full and there was never a dull moment when she was around LOL. I often think she's up there sticking her tongue out at me for refusing her darned stickers when I am cursing people who use spaces without badges :D
  • black_pawblack_paw Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    it puts you of going out ! i save up engery just to go out, so you can look not to bad, but people don't know when you get home you don't put away your stuff you go to bed for hours to recover from trip
    the truth is out there ... on these pages !!
    <3
  • black_pawblack_paw Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    if i go with my 80 year old mum she carry's my shopping, people must think how terrible i am . poor mother ect....does make you feel bad... and wish i can carry my own snuff. thank god for trolley at big stores
    the truth is out there ... on these pages !!
    <3
  • mumpsmumps Forumite
    6.3K posts
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    Brightness wrote: »
    A friend of mine who was a wheelchair user (she's now gone to the place in the sky where we are all fit young and healthy - her words before she went), she was a real character and used to print up stickers that must have been a nightmare to get off glass.

Any cars that were parked in disabled bays without a disabled tax disc or badge were promptly 'Cathy'd' The stickers said 'You've got my bl**dy space, do you want my bl**dy disability - now try getting this sticker off - oh and have a nice day!'.

She offered me some stickers to use but I wouldn't have had the nerve that she had. She had such a sort life but lived it to the full and there was never a dull moment when she was around LOL. I often think she's up there sticking her tongue out at me for refusing her darned stickers when I am cursing people who use spaces without badges :D

I suppose there are always two view points. Some years ago I had a two year old and new baby and husband with me shopping. My husband became severely disabled when I was pregnant and I had a difficult pregnancy and birth. Well I committed the crime of forgetting to display his BB. We came back to find a sticker like your friends, perhaps it was her who put it there? For me it wasn't funny or clever. I returned to work quickly after the baby was born because of economic need as husband lost his job, so at the end of a hard day at work I had that to deal with as well.
    Sell £1500

2831.00/£1500
  • pipkin71pipkin71 Forumite
    21.8K posts
    lexi1980 wrote: »
    Im a newbie and so glad I have found this site. It has helped me to feel im not alone. Im 29 and last year hit with a critical illness. A rare blood disorder (HUS) and Kidney Failure (TTP), its genetic and no cure so life has completely changed for me. I get so down at times as with everything going on, on top Im having to deal with day to day judgement behaviours from general people who dont know me. Looking at me you would instantly think Im a young healthy fit person yet inside riddle with a blood disorder that causes complications. I experience every time people looking at me when parking in disabled spaces, worse case was a 50 year old couple watching me the whole time (even though showing my blue badge), following me and watching my every move in the supermarket isles, it felt awful. Until now I think I must have lived in a bubble, I cant believe how hard and judgemental the society is, if you dont have a visable disability your faking it and I feel I have to constantly justify myself, give proof that this is my life. I do feel like shouting out, have my life or any kind of disability for the day and lets see how you think then, would you be so judgemental? :confused:

Good post lexi.

It's amazing that people who don't know a person can so readily judge them.

I had to smile yesterday when I read a comment on here - apparently, because I can do things I'm less able rather than disabled! :D

Of course, I could have got into an argument over the post but what's the point? There will always be some people who don't know you but quick to sit in judgement.

You know your illness and have no need to justify anything so ignore them as much as you can, for the opinions of strangers mean nothing :)
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support