New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Grrr - blue badge

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Disability Money Matters
518 replies 37.2K views

Replies

• polkadotpolkadot Forumite
    1.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    zztopgirl wrote: »
    Sorry am going completely off topic now but worse still is the elderly tut-tutting and saying loudly that in their day, they walked everywhere with the prams, and no doubt too all disabled were shut away in insitutions! I used to walk as much as I could despite my arthritis, and used the buggy as a zimmer frame :rotfl:

I know you're just generalising here...so I'm not taking it personally, but I just wanted you to know it is true for some. I have an almost three year old and I have cerebral palsy. We cant afford a car so I do use the buggy more than he needs-because when Im having a bad day it does offer me support for my hips which collapse alot. No one ever helps me on a bus and if a wheelchair comes on-i'm the first to go.
  • luxor4tluxor4t Forumite
    11.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I read this and remembered this thread;
    http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/news/Mum-s-fury-70-fine-Tesco-car-park/article-956688-detail/article.html

I hope they police the BBbays in a similar way.
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • zztopgirlzztopgirl Forumite
    676 posts
    When my dd was born, i joined the tesco baby club and had a badge sent out to display on the car, similar to a bb. It stated that it only applies to under 5's. Although why was that deemed newsworthy enough to be headline news?:huh:

Went to tesco yesterday afternoon and most of the bb bays were empty so perhaps they are being policed nationwide, hope so!
  • orion1606orion1606 Forumite
    1 posts
    I'm 26, female and don't use a wheelchair or a walking stick. I do however have both lupus and arthritis which each on their own is bad enough both is much worst. Some days I can do most things, others I can't physically get out of bed myself. I have a blue badge and some days I use but I only use it when I need to. I have often been asked by people (usually older) why am I parking in a disabled space, there is nothing wrong with me. I usually reply just because I don't look like I have a disability doesn't mean I don't have one.

I often see people using these spaces without the use of a badge, I hate that. It is taking a resource which could be used by someone who needs it more than them.

In October 2008 I was admitted to hospital having suffered a heart attack, about a month later I was with my boyfriend (who was driving) and parked in a disabled space in ASDA. As I got out of the car a woman shouted at me 'You shouldn't use that space, your stealing it from someone who needs it.' I turned around and saw a woman in a car with three kids in the back. My boyfriend said to her that I had a badge so it was ok for me to use it. I asked her if she had a badge? If I thought she needed it more than me I would have given it to her. She told me she has three kids and needs the bigger parking space and all the parent/child ones where full. I told her I needed the space and she would need to use a normal space. Later when we left the store I noticed her car in a disabled space without a blue badge showing. I then did something I had never done before (or since) I had my boyfriend go tell an employee in ASDA about her parking. My boyfriend returned with an employee who then ticketed her car. I'm sorry but having kids is not a disability, its a choice. That maybe an unpopular view to take but that's what I believe.

I live in Scotland, early next year it will be illegal to park in a disabled space without a badge. It will be a £60 fine if you are caught parking without a badge.

Roll on 2010.
    Orion1606
    676 posts
    orion1606 wrote: »
    In October 2008 I was admitted to hospital having suffered a heart attack, about a month later I was with my boyfriend (who was driving) and parked in a disabled space in ASDA. As I got out of the car a woman shouted at me 'You shouldn't use that space, your stealing it from someone who needs it.' I turned around and saw a woman in a car with three kids in the back. My boyfriend said to her that I had a badge so it was ok for me to use it. I asked her if she had a badge? If I thought she needed it more than me I would have given it to her. She told me she has three kids and needs the bigger parking space and all the parent/child ones where full. I told her I needed the space and she would need to use a normal space. Later when we left the store I noticed her car in a disabled space without a blue badge showing. I then did something I had never done before (or since) I had my boyfriend go tell an employee in ASDA about her parking. My boyfriend returned with an employee who then ticketed her car. I'm sorry but having kids is not a disability, its a choice. That maybe an unpopular view to take but that's what I believe.

:Tgood for you to do so:T
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • luxor4tluxor4t Forumite
    11.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zztopgirl wrote: »
    When my dd was born, i joined the tesco baby club and had a badge sent out to display on the car, similar to a bb. It stated that it only applies to under 5's. Although why was that deemed newsworthy enough to be headline news?:huh:
    ... snipped

I think it is a slow news [STRIKE]century[/STRIKE] day round here!
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • seven-day-weekendseven-day-weekend Forumite
    36.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand why many elderly people think only elderly people can have a disability. Most odd.

It must be especially hard for people whom have 'hidden' disabilities like heart disease or cystic fibrosis, mentioned above.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • savemoneysavemoney Forumite
    18.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree, you can have a disability at any age, at least many elderly people although not all had no disability most of there lives.
    I don't understand why many elderly people think only elderly people can have a disability. Most odd.

It must be especially hard for people whom have 'hidden' disabilities like heart disease or cystic fibrosis, mentioned above.
  • edited 4 May 2009 at 11:19AM
    pogofishpogofish Forumite
    10.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 4 May 2009 at 11:19AM
    Thats what ALL decent people should do, good on you! I also live in Scotland, where can I find out when it is going to be illegal to park in disabled spaces without a badge, I didn't know it was going to come into force in Scotland? Thats great I might be able to get a disabled space now.

It could be a while yet. The vote was only passed a few weeks ago. Even an unopposed bill like this can easily take a year or more.

After that happens, the stores and other car park owners will then have to negotiate access with local councils for legally regulated patrollers to operate (the current slew of private cowboy operators will not be issuing the tickets) and virtually all of them will have to repaint their bays and bring the sinage into complaince with legal standards - Few if any currently are.
    676 posts
    savemoney wrote: »
    I agree, you can have a disability at any age, at least many elderly people although not all had no disability most of there lives.

Me and oh will have a huge heads up over all the other old bats when we get old, with years of experience flying round on a w/chair. Got to look on the bright side:rotfl:, better to laugh than cry, etc. Oh plans to be really cantankorous when he gets old too, he is getting lots of practise in already.:eek:
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support