Coal prices

Options
1101112131416»

Comments

• km1423
    km1423 Posts: 145 Forumite
    Options
    I have switched to a local independant coal supplier, after I received a wet coal delivery from Coals2U, plus I got a mixed lot of something cheaper, when I paid for Phurnacite. Luckily it was early spring, so didn't mind too much, but will not be making that mistake again. To be fair when I told them about this they brought me 50kg of the correct fuel to say sorry and 20kgs of Homefire Heat logs

My coal merchant is far cheaper, highly reliable, and delivers almost any time, so long as I make the minimum order (£60). He advises me on the type of solid fuel I should burn for my appliance, and so far he hasn't been wrong. Still struggling with Anthracite, but I will crack it.

If you want loyalty - get a dog:rotfl::rotfl:

All my posts are my opinion, and the actions I would take.
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I lament the (literal) passing of my local coal merchant - he had been at it all his life and was affordable, reliable and knowledgeable. Now I, too, am stuck with one of the big outfits that seems to have hoovered up all the small, local independents and I'm paying more for less choice. Pretty typical.

Good luck with anthracite, KM1423 - I can't get on with it in my stove.

That said, I switched back to Maxibrite this year but they haven't solved the excessive dust problem: you're still paying for a sizeable amount of unusable dust in each bag.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm really getting a good burn and heat with the anthracite now - taken a year trying but have it sussed now

Local merchant dropped me 6x50kg phurnacite and 2x50kg anthracite £130. No doubt I could have hit the local cash and carry and got it cheaper but damn I'm loading and unloading the car
  • alleycat`
    alleycat` Posts: 1,901 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd have to pay more than that just for the phurnacite :eek:
  • Katie_b_2
    Options
    Does anybody know where i can get cheap 50KG bags of house coal for less than £18.00 a bag in lincolnshire?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all,
  • SEE
    SEE Posts: 722 Forumite
    Options
    Katie_b wrote: »
    Does anybody know where i can get cheap 50KG bags of house coal for less than £18.00 a bag in lincolnshire?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all,
    Coals2U are doing standard house coal for £15.50 for 50kg

Cheap-coal.co.uk are doing the same coal for £13.99 for 50kg
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Halifax, taking the Xtra since 1853:rolleyes:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • alleycat`
    alleycat` Posts: 1,901 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just had a call from CPL (coals2u) they are touting for business, 10 x 25KG bags of smokeless gets 2 bags free.

Don't need any myself but might be worth somebodies while if they are ordering.
  • SEE
    SEE Posts: 722 Forumite
    Options
    alleycat` wrote: »
    Just had a call from CPL (coals2u) they are touting for business, 10 x 25KG bags of smokeless gets 2 bags free.

Don't need any myself but might be worth somebodies while if they are ordering.
    They owe me a free bag from a month ago. I won't hold my breath. Their service over the past few months has really disappointed me and their coal quality has gone down, or I was being sold the wrong stuff. Too much coal dust delivered too. I reckon I've accumulated 100kg of the stuff over the past 2yrs.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Halifax, taking the Xtra since 1853:rolleyes:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • wrightk
    wrightk Posts: 975 Forumite
    Options
    im all in favour of the local coal merchant personally. i havent found anywhere even on the internet that does smokeless cheaper than my local coal merchant and its delivered too. downside with my local merchant is that sometimes i can get delivered the 'scrag ends' of the bottom of the coal pile if he is running low, also if its raining heavily it saturates the coal and coal dust binds together like cement and makes it hard to shovel.
    Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day, and for once I'm inclined to believe Withnail is right. We are indeed drifting into the arena of the unwell.
  • grumswifie
    grumswifie Posts: 152 Forumite
    Options
    I have justbought 160 kg of grade a coal for £60. Sure l didn't pay that much last time l bought some! Hoping to only use about half of itbefore the better weather kicks in so will have made a start on next winters coal stash. It is a luxuary but just love a coal fire at the weekends and evenings when we dont have to go out for activities!
    Sealed pot challenge member no 1057
    No toiletries in 2011, well shampoo, toothpaste or deodurant!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure