Coal prices

Options

Comments

• dekh
    dekh Posts: 237 Forumite
    Options
    I think you'd be better off just getting a galvanised coal bunker. The door at the bottom makes life a lot easier.
    :think:
  • enginechick
    Options
    Last week 10 bags of smokeless eggs set me back £154, last year it was £16.50 per bag, winter prices coming in so got what I could store. Storage consists of gavanised coal store (free cycle), compost bin from council and oil drum.
  • AllNancy
    Options
    I live in Norfolk and CPL and have a multi fuel stove. CPL prices are £17.45 for anthracite and £17.23 for Taybrite. The others aren't much better. It doesn't make sense to me that we are paying exhorbitant prices to import coal from China when we have the stuff under our feet and coal mining areas with high unemployment.

Nancy
    Nancy 16 Membership No 147
    BR 21st.May 2008.......Discharged November 2008
    :j...so what?....... It's Life!
  • dekh
    dekh Posts: 237 Forumite
    Options
    AllNancy wrote: »
    It doesn't make sense to me that we are paying exhorbitant prices to import coal from China when we have the stuff under our feet and coal mining areas with high unemployment.

Laugh, I nearly choked.
    Last October I asked why they'd put their price up 33%.
    "Because the Chinese have put the price up."
    I come from Newcastle.

Form the UK Coal website:

UK COAL is Britain's biggest producer of coal, supplying around 6% of the country's energy needs for electricity generation. The Group has four deep mines located in Central and Northern England with substantial reserves and employs 3,100 people. It had five active surface mines producing around 1.7 million tonnes of coal a year in 2008. Total surface mining coal reserves, including projects being worked and in planning, are in excess of 90 million tonnes.

4 mines left.

Not sure how many other concerns there are.

Sad state of affairs. It's not cheaper to import now is it?

Thanks Maggie.
    :think:
  • tweeddale
    Options
    hawkwind wrote: »
    Has anyone had any experience of this firm here
    (I can`t post with the link to coaldelivery / Fergusson)

The prices whilst not great are actually better than buying local especially the 10kg bags.
    Realistically i can only store the sealed bags so its either risk paying a lot more once winters prices are added or buying bulk sealed bags now :(

I bought a tonne pallet of 25kg bags at £270. This is my "winter reserve" and is convenient for stacking in a lean to shed.
    Quality closely matches the local coal merchants "best coal" at £310 a tonne, delivered in open bags - i.e. tipped into coal house.
    Cheapest coal from coal merchant is £10.50 per 50kg bag (was £7 last October) and is allegedly Scottish opencast and is of variable quality and size and with generous shale/stone content.
    Coal delivery person suggests imminent price rises.
    I share the sentiments around our coal industry. Anyone know if Drax power station (literally on top of Selby coalfield) is still burning North American coal?
  • PDM1
    PDM1 Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

I was in a similar position, we had a wood burner installed in summer 2008 in our living room and after much persuasion to the wife to convince her that it was a good idea we now would`nt go without one, (it only heats living room).
    we have 3 children one of which was only 1 at the time so safety was on top of our list, we set the burner back into the chimney ( old 1950 back boiler space) and bought a fantastic fire guard from toysRus (£20) it practically completelt encloses the fire and very rigid, just right for little enquiring minds.
  • philious
    philious Posts: 19 Forumite
    edited 27 September 2009 at 1:34AM
    Options
    Alright
    I`ve just paid £75 for 5 bags of smokeless ovals 50kg bags, the coal merchant said the price will be going up at the end of september and that was in Congleton cheshire.
    I have also been stocking up with logs so I kinda hope we are set for the winter.
  • Dawni
    Dawni Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    We're paying £15.50 per bag at the minute, down 50p from last winter's price. But like everyone else we're expecting it to go up again and probably by more than 50p. (Co L'Derry). We usually use two bags a week in winter, as there's usually someone in the house most of the day. We have oil as a back-up too, so our heating bills in winter are pretty high.
  • Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,941 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Topped up our coal bunker at the start of the month and the cheapest coal here is still £11.50 per bag delivered. Won't be needing any more until after New Year, so I HOPE the prices stay the same otherwise we'll be blocking up the chimney and turning on another electric heater.
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • elektra-2007
    Options
    Im in Derbyshire been paying £15 a bag for "anthercite" but its poor quality theres loads of shale rocks ect in it. Im thinking of looking at cpl prices because even paying a quid more for better quality stuff will be better than this...is anthricite the best quality coal does anyone know?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure