Don't shop at Maplin Leeds

Options
I've paid the parking ticket 'cos I'm worried about the dodgy debt recovery people

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    if the store security cameras showed me in the store all that time I would have asked for a copy and not paid the fine
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • TightWadAndStillPoor
    Options
    I've paid the parking charge because I'm worried about the dodgy debt recovery people.
  • saintscouple
    saintscouple Posts: 4,319 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere (please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].
  • saintscouple
    saintscouple Posts: 4,319 Forumite
    Options
    Lots of similar stories here unfortunatly.
    Can you not contact the issuer of the ticket and explain the reason why you were parked over the permited time, with the store manager to back you up?
    They may have a heart...
  • Andy_Hamilton
    Options
    Send maplin's head office a letter saying how dissapointed that your time spent in there store has been soured by the fine.

Even though they don't owne the land they may refund it (to keep a customer)

Worth 30p for a stamp.
    Lets get this straight. Say my house is worth £100K, it drops £20K and I complain but I should not complain when I actually pay £200K via a mortgage:rolleyes:
  • Keith
    Keith Posts: 2,924 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It took over an hour to try on headphones? Pull the other one, it's got bells on :)
  • Pew_Pew_Pew_Lasers!
    Options
    I wouldn't have paid it. There's nothing they can do to enforce it.
  • Mi_bargains
    Options
    Not sure which company has issued this ticket but i'm pretty sure you wont have to pay it. Look on the following website under parking forums.

https://www.pepipoo.com

Helping the motorist get justice. :T
  • bargepole
    bargepole Posts: 3,231 Forumite
    Options
    This is absolute garbage, you haven't got a fine - only Councils and Police can issue those for parking. Since when did Maplins, or any two bit private parking company, gain the right to issue fines?

Do NOT pay them, ignore all the rubbish letters they send you. And send a letter to the Chairman of Maplins pointing out that his illegal parking policy is costing them business, because you returned your goods and won't be shopping there any more.

I have been providing assistance, including Lay Representation at Court hearings (current score: won 57, lost 14), to defendants in parking cases for over 5 years. I have an LLB (Hons) degree, and have a Graduate Diploma in Civil Litigation from CILEx. However, any advice given on these forums by me is NOT formal legal advice, and I accept no liability for its accuracy.
  • thescouselander
    Options
    This is coming up so often now - I think there should be a sticky on this subject. The bottom line is they cannot make you pay. This site is also very useful and has letter templates so you can tell them to sling their hook

http://consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/parking-traffic-offences/

Whatever you do, DO NOT PAY these criminals.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure