Don't shop at Maplin Leeds

Options

Comments

• bargepole
    bargepole Posts: 3,231 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ... I'm going to have to pay this fine as UKPAO Ltd look like they do get the bailiffs out: If you wish to appeal and it falls into category listed in Part 1 (Beyond a stipulated time limit), it is unlikely your appeal will be accepted. Payment must be enclosed with your correspondence. If your appeal proves successful your money will be refunded in full. Withholding payment whilst in dispute will result in your costs increasing £3 per day.
    TightWad, you're still not getting this, are you.

Bailiffs can only become involved IF UKPAO take you to court, and win the case, and you fail to pay a judgement within 28 days. The chances of all that happening are about the same as you winning the lottery two weeks running.

It is NOT a fine, it is an unenforceable invoice. Their business model relies on gullible mugs believing all the rubbish they put in their threatening letters, and being intimidated into paying their ridiculous charges.

Do not write to them and do not pay them a penny. They will go away after a few more threatening letters.

I have been providing assistance, including Lay Representation at Court hearings (current score: won 57, lost 14), to defendants in parking cases for over 5 years. I have an LLB (Hons) degree, and have a Graduate Diploma in Civil Litigation from CILEx. However, any advice given on these forums by me is NOT formal legal advice, and I accept no liability for its accuracy.
  • I've paid the parking ticket 'cos I'm worried about the dodgy debt recovery people
  • anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Many thanks for all the advice, but I am so fearful of court costs etc and the cynic in me wonders whether the pseudonyms are car park operators encouraging me to fall into a trap, I have done the following.

I wrote an appeal letter as detailed under the appeals section of the parking charge, I wrote out a cheque for £60 as required popped them in an envelope, put my 1st class stamp on (5% off from Superdrug) and looked for the address to send it to.

DO NOT SEND IT THERE WILL BE NO COURT COSTS!!!! EVERYONE HERE HAS TOLD YOU!!!! DO NOT GIVE £60 TO THESE COWBOYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RIP IT UP NOW AND PUT IT IN THE BIN!!!!!

If you send £60 your "appeal" will be rejected and your cheque cashed. That's the way these cowboys work. Noone will ever successfully appeal. This is why they want you to send the money with the "appeal".
  • Andy_Hamilton
    Options
    In your case, save the stamp for the appeal letter
    Lets get this straight. Say my house is worth £100K, it drops £20K and I complain but I should not complain when I actually pay £200K via a mortgage:rolleyes:
  • prettypennies
    Options
    DO NOT PAY!

It is a fee for overstay not a fine. And £50 would be conisdered excessive for an overstay if it ever went to court (which it won't) A parking fee was issued against my vehicle by a company called parking eye. At first I thought I had no choice but to pay. However after some web research, I found out some more about the company and thought better. They sent me a few threatening letters (which I filed under B) and I haven't heard anything since.

More advice here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/parking-traffic-offences/
    Twins, twice the laughs, twice the fun, twice the mess!:j:j
  • bargepole
    bargepole Posts: 3,231 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I wrote an appeal letter as detailed under the appeals section of the parking charge, I wrote out a cheque for £60 as required popped them in an envelope, put my 1st class stamp on (5% off from Superdrug) and looked for the address to send it to.
    Right, you are hereby FINED the sum of £1000 for asking this forum for advice, and then ignoring it.

Your payment should be sent to Mr Bargepole, c/o Hotel De Luxe et De Splendeur, Cayman Islands. Unless I receive your cheque within 14 days, I will instruct my Debt Collection Agency, Kneecap Recovery Ltd., to visit your home address and remove all your possessions, take your children into care and kill your cat. This will result in you, and any members of your family, being registered as defaulters with all credit agencies and being unable to operate a bank account for the next six years.

Should you wish to appeal against this decision, please forward the appeal fee of £500 to the above address, with your appeal letter, which must be certified as a true statement by a Notary Public, and signed and witnessed by both your parents. Interest on the outstanding fine will accrue at 294% daily while the appeal is being considered.

I have been providing assistance, including Lay Representation at Court hearings (current score: won 57, lost 14), to defendants in parking cases for over 5 years. I have an LLB (Hons) degree, and have a Graduate Diploma in Civil Litigation from CILEx. However, any advice given on these forums by me is NOT formal legal advice, and I accept no liability for its accuracy.
  • oldagetraveller
    Options
    So they are "charging" you £60 for an hour and a bit parking? That can't be right anyway. I suppose they call it a car parking charge because they're not allowed to issue a "fine" or describe it as a fine.
    Must be something in unfair charges etc. that would also cover that even in the unlikely event they took you to court.
    Don't pay whatever you do.
  • Pew_Pew_Pew_Lasers!
    Options
    Many thanks for all the advice, but I am so fearful of court costs etc and the cynic in me wonders whether the pseudonyms are car park operators encouraging me to fall into a trap, I have done the following.

The appeals procedure is listed on the reverse of the parking charge. It states that all correspondence must be sent to the above address. There is no address on the reverse side of the parking charge.

However, I am not a lawyer, so do not know whether "the above" referred to in a legal document can mean the previous part of the document, ie the first side of the parking charge, so I looked at the front page.

There are two different addresses at the top of the first page. One is one line and the other is three lines. They are arranged such that the one line address is on the left on the same level as the mid line of the three line address on the right. Therefore one address is not above the other.

Now I do not know whether to send the appeals letter to the payment address or the cheque to the registered address. They both have to go together so I'm confused and am not sending anything.

The instant you put that cheque in the post, you've lost your money. You'll never see it again.

Don't ignore the advice here. If you do, well I'm sorry, but you'll be an idiot.
  • tomstickland
    tomstickland Posts: 19,538 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Here's the flow chart for the appeals process:

1) Victim sends letter
    2) Muggers reject it
    Happy chappy
  • anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Here's the flow chart for the appeals process:

Corrected slightly :D

1) Victim sends letter with cheque
    2) Appeal letter filed in the bin
    3) Cheque cashed
    4) Standard appeal rejection letter sent to victim, once cheque is cleared so it cannot be cancelled
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure