• anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Agree with all the above DO NOT PAY
  • MediSin
    MediSin Posts: 118 Forumite
    Options
    Private parking not controlled by law, they have no legal right to fine you, and you have no legal obligation to pay the fine. They rely on intimidation and people's lack of knowledge on the subject in order to extort money from you.

Don't pay the fine unless it's from the council or the cops. Ever! They can try to take you to court, but they haven't got a leg to stand on legally, and no private parking contractor has ever won a case like this. The whole thing is a massive scam.
  • cxx666
    cxx666 Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    contact Maplin about it and see if they can do anything.

I work for Matalan and our car parks are patrolled by TCP. If a customer is in the shop for more than the 2 hours allowed, or there is a genuine reason for the car being there more than 2 hours (such as a woman who fell ill and once got taken to hospital, meaning her car was in a disabled space for 2 days) then 1 of our managers can phone up to get the fine cancelled.

If Maplin have any sense they'll do the same, even if its just for good will to keep you as a customer
  • Brian_Bullocks
    Options
    Keith wrote: »
    It took over an hour to try on headphones? Pull the other one, it's got bells on :)

Good point, too many b*llsh!ters in this forum, wanting sympathy (masked as a warning).
    I used to have a signature but it disappeared and I just couldn't be bothered writing another, so please feel free to ignore this.
  • anewman
    Options
    I live close to this maplins and can confirm if you spend your time looking at lots of things you can easily lose an hour. Probably not just looking at headphones though.
  • I've paid the parking ticket 'cos I'm worried about the dodgy debt recovery people
  • tomstickland
    tomstickland Posts: 19,538 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good point, too many b*llsh!ters in this forum, wanting sympathy (masked as a warning).
    Yes, I have research that shows that it can never take more than 33.43 minutes to try on headphones.

I should know, I work for Town and !!!!ry parking.
    Happy chappy
  • tomstickland
    tomstickland Posts: 19,538 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm going to have to pay this fine as UKPAO Ltd look like they do get the bailiffs out: If you wish to appeal and it falls into category listed in Part 1 (Beyond a stipulated time limit), it is unlikely your appeal will be accepted. Payment must be enclosed with your correspondence. If your appeal proves successful your money will be refunded in full. Withholding payment whilst in dispute will result in your costs increasing £3 per day.

Go to Pepipoo and take their advice.
    Happy chappy
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,865 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm going to have to pay this fine as UKPAO Ltd look like they do get the bailiffs out: If you wish to appeal and it falls into category listed in Part 1 (Beyond a stipulated time limit), it is unlikely your appeal will be accepted. Payment must be enclosed with your correspondence. If your appeal proves successful your money will be refunded in full. Withholding payment whilst in dispute will result in your costs increasing £3 per day.
    Hey Tightwad, Please don't pay. Go to pepipoo for advice.
    The only way to get money from you is to take you to court... and wiin a case against you. They cannot do that because they only have a contract with the driver of your car and they dob't know who that is, unless you tell them.
    As the registered keeper of the vehicle you are not bound to pay the contractual liabilities of the driver.

Again, please don't pay. Resist any pressure they may (will) apply. Look at pepipoo.
  • anewman
    Options
    I'm going to have to pay this fine as UKPAO Ltd look like they do get the bailiffs out
    Idle threats.

Appealing while sending money just means they keep the money and say appeal rejected.

DO NOT PAY THEM ANY MONEY!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport