IMPORTANT REMINDER: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information. If you are uploading images, please take extra care that you have redacted all personal information.

Parking Ticket Appeals successes and failures

edited 10 June 2010 at 4:36PM in Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking
556 replies 478.5K views

Replies

• edited 24 September 2009 at 11:31PM
    Ollie090Ollie090 Forumite
    6 Posts
    edited 24 September 2009 at 11:31PM
    My boyfriend got a parking ticket in a hospital car park as he did not have a pay & display ticket while attending a hospital appointment. I received a letter from a solicitor saying pay or they will pursue and if necessary take me to court (I am the registered keeper). I ignored this as I was not driving the car and thought the contract was between the driver and car park owner. I have now received court forms and have 24 days to put my defence forward.
    Anyone able to help and what are my chances of winning this?
  • peter_the_piperpeter_the_piper Forumite
    30.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ollie090 wrote: »
    My boyfriend got a parking ticket in a hospital car park as he did not have a pay & display ticket while attending a hospital appointment. I received a letter from a solicitor saying pay or they will pursue and if necessary take me to court (I am the registered keeper). I ignored this as I was not driving the car and thought the contract was between the driver and car park owner. I have now received court forms and have 24 days to put my defence forward.
    Anyone able to help and what are my chances of winning this?
    edit. Already moved.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • I recently parked in a legitimate parking space in London to grab a coffee.
    On leaving this parking bay, 15 minutes later, I was obliged to cross a bus lane to reach the traffic lane. This was in morning rush hour and as I pulled out from the parking bay, I found myself blocked from entering the traffic lane and stuck in the bus lane. I travelled about 30 metres in this lane trying to move across and was let in after this distance.
    A local authority camera photographed me in the bus lane and although I appealed, I was knocked back. I now have to go to adjudication.
    I do have a copy of the local authority traffic order, where it clearly states that one is allowed 'a reasonable' distance in which to carry out the above manoeuvre, but the authority in question is stating I should have only crossed the bus lane(i.e. a direct movement to the traffic lane).
    In my case, this was impossible as I was completely squeezed out by the traffic.
    Has anybody ever come across this situation and been successful in appealing?
  • Neil_BNeil_B Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    enraged29 wrote: »
    I recently parked in a legitimate parking space in London to grab a coffee.
    On leaving this parking bay, 15 minutes later, I was obliged to cross a bus lane to reach the traffic lane. This was in morning rush hour and as I pulled out from the parking bay, I found myself blocked from entering the traffic lane and stuck in the bus lane. I travelled about 30 metres in this lane trying to move across and was let in after this distance.
    A local authority camera photographed me in the bus lane and although I appealed, I was knocked back. I now have to go to adjudication.
    I do have a copy of the local authority traffic order, where it clearly states that one is allowed 'a reasonable' distance in which to carry out the above manoeuvre, but the authority in question is stating I should have only crossed the bus lane(i.e. a direct movement to the traffic lane).
    In my case, this was impossible as I was completely squeezed out by the traffic.
    Has anybody ever come across this situation and been successful in appealing?

Oh. So was this a success or a failure then?
  • I used the template on the site to appeal against a fine given for parking for 2 and 3/4 hours in the car park of a service station. It was 2 in the morning when we went in there - it was almost in complete darkness, except for the Costa Coffee outlet. We had a coffee and decided we were too tired to drive on (we were trying to reach Penzance for a ferry at 9 am). We hadn't seen any signs telling us we couldn't park free for more than 2 hours and knew nothing about it until we got home 2 weeks later and found a parking ticket. we appealed on the grounds that we hadn't seen any signs and that we were doing the safe and responsible thing (we also had a young child with us and were looking for a safe place to stop). We received a letter saying it had been withdrawn. I'm so glad we didn't pay the original ticket!
  • Coupon-madCoupon-mad
    105.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    'successful private parking ticket appeal'

Now that's a heading you don't see too often - your username gives the game away though surely?

Maybe I am wrong, if so well done on a successful appeal - but the cynic in me thinks that BPA members could well plant posts in these forums to give the impression of PPC appeals being a fair process...
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • This happened to me a few years ago before the wonderful MSE provided advice on matters such as this....

However, I'd parked in my local Sainsbury's at Xmas to do my shopping....the signs stated 2 hours max, but, as anyone who goes food shopping at Xmas knows....it can take much longer than that for your 'Xmas big food shop'.....and thats what happened.....on my way into the store, I'd noticed the 'warden's' prowling round the car park (obviously thinking they were onto an easy money spinner!!)...Suffice it to say....when I staggered out of the store just under three hours later...I'd been issued a 'ticket'...a 'fine' of £120 which, if paid within 21 days would be reduced to £60...

Well as it was Xmas....and most business's are shut for some, if not all of the holiday period, I left it....thinking it meant 21 'working' days.....however...early in the New Year...I got a snotty letter threatening court action, adverse credit ratings etc etc if i didn't pay as I'd gone over my 21 days ...this actually worked in my favour as I'd have paid the £60, no questions asked, if they hadn't have been so money grabbing.....but now, my blood was up and I decided to fight them....

After a lot of homework and trawling through the internet, I found that the rules for parking on private land were completely different (the ticket issued had been designed to look like an 'official' ticket form the local council/police).....I wrote back refusing to pay and citing the mitigating circumstances surrounding the issue of the 'ticket'....but they continued to send threatening letters...I even went so far as to appeal to Sainsbury's buy they couldn't have cared less.....

My 'case' was eventually passed to a debt collection agency who continued to threaten me with court/court and solicitors costs and adverse credit ratings....

I eventually sent a very polite but slightly snotty letter stating that the 'ticket' was unlawful, that it was actually an offence on the issuers part to issue a 'ticket' which is designed to resemble a council/police issued ticket (i think I found that bit in the Road Traffic Act, online) and is viewed by the courts as extortion...I also stated that I would be consulting a solicitor under the 1997 Harrassment Act if they did not cease all contact....

Never heard a thing from them since!!!! SUCCESS!!!

So, the moral of the story is...ignore them....and keep ignoring them....if all else fails....threaten them back.....it worked for me....:j
  • In August, I had to take my wife to Addenbrokes Hospital. She is disabled and has a blue badge. No disabled spaces available so parked on the double yellows badge displayed, so as not to miss her appointment. Came out some 30 Minutes later to find a Parking Ticket (Private not council.) £30 now or £60 later.
    Wrote them a letter telling them I had no intention of paying and to take me to court where I would be supplying photographic evidence of all my points.
    So far no reply, no court summons, no chance of me paying.:D
  • edited 22 October 2009 at 4:38PM
    petersandyglenpetersandyglen Forumite
    58 Posts
    edited 22 October 2009 at 4:38PM
    I had a parking ticket issued by Meteor parking at Blackburn hospital. I used my blue badge in the disabled parking area, but because it was full, I parked at the end of the bay where there was no markings. Before I left I made sure that there was enough room for cars to get past. When I returned from visiting, I saw another car parked opposite me that made it very hard for cars to get through, he was parked on double yellows. I got a ticket for causing unnecessary obstruction and the other car got nothing. When I queried this with the boss, he said they couldn't ticket someone parked on double yellows if they displayed a blue badge but they could with me because I had parked out of the marked bays. To add insult to injury I was handed a aheet of paper telling me that if the disabled bays were full, to park on the pay car park then hand the ticket to them and it would be cancelled free of charge. I wrote to appeal but received no reply. Two months later I received a bill for £80 for none payment of fine. It was then that I did a bit of digging around and found that what they were doing was unenforcable, I continued to get the threatening letters, bailiffs etc. and finally two solicitors letters giving me a final chance to cough up £140. I continued to ignore the letters and to this day have heard nothing from them. This started in May so it shows that we should not be intimidated by these people. I hope this gives hope to others who have been victimised this way.
  • edited 25 October 2009 at 12:44PM
    sachaXsachaX Forumite
    28 Posts
    edited 25 October 2009 at 12:44PM
    Hi, I was charged £95 by Athena for overstaying by 15mins. I was delayed as a lory had become stuck in the car park!!
    I appealed before consulting this site and the forum about the parking charges and decided Id be told "tough" and get an enslaught of scary letters. However they have sent me a "Cancellation of charge" letter today so obviously my appeal worked. Below is what I sent incase its any use 2 anyone!

Dear whom this may concern,

I have today received a letter stating I exceeded the free parking duration at Lidl, St Osyth RD, Clacton 5/10/09 and am to be fined.

I wish to appeal the charge, as I did return to my car within the allotted time, however no one within the car park could exit for 20mins as a lorry had entered the car park and struggled to get out again. Whilst the lorry was trying to exit, other cars came in, and the whole car park became grid locked and the whole of St Osyth road outside the car park was also at a stand still. Hence why I was late departing the car park. This will also be on the CCTV, as my movements were.

As I had no control over what time I was able to exit the car park due to Lidl's lorry I wish to appeal this charge as I returned to my car with time to spare and was delayed due to no fault of my own.
    I hope to hear from you shortly.

Regards

Sacha ########
    0787########