IMPORTANT REMINDER: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information. If you are uploading images, please take extra care that you have redacted all personal information.

Parking Ticket Appeals successes and failures

edited 10 June 2010 at 4:36PM in Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking
556 replies 478.5K views

Replies

• I had a parking ticket a while back, clearly not a local council one. I decided to just not pay. This was a few years ago now and have hear nothing to date. This site just confirmed everything i already knew. Besides i have a friend who works with the DVLA and these companies have to pay them to get your contact details, therefore they dont bother :-)
    Trisha
    ;) When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car. ;)
  • I was ticketed for " obstructing road" while shopping at Tesco and fortunately photographed the surrounding area of the alleged offence.
    I used MoneySavingExpert template letter as guide to replying to the ticket issuing company, but more importantly perhaps, copied and wrote an accompanying POLITE letter to Tesco pointing out the "zeal" of their contracted parking attendants. I might have have mentioned my annual spend with Tesco and quoted my clubcard number to prove, but by return, I had a phonecall from Tesco agreeing with me, apologising and promising to "have a word"!! I then received a letter from the ticket company CANCELLING THE TICKET AND APOLOGISING FOR MY INCONVENIENCE.
    THANKYOU MARTIN:beer::j:T:money:
  • I was passed a valid ticket from another driver who was leaving the car park. I didn't realise that this was illegal. I spent about 10 minutes in the car park getting my son ready and unloading before going into town. When I came back I had a PCN stating that I had been seen taking the ticket from another motorist and therefore had failed to display a paid for ticket. I can't believe that the warden in question didn't have the decency to at least warn me so I could buy a ticket and he waited until I left. I have an £80 ticket for failing to display a £2 ticket. It was a private car park - does anyone have any advice on appealing?
  • edited 4 November 2009 at 12:20AM
    Coupon-madCoupon-mad
    105.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 4 November 2009 at 12:20AM
    guyjojack wrote: »
    I was passed a valid ticket from another driver who was leaving the car park. I didn't realise that this was illegal. I spent about 10 minutes in the car park getting my son ready and unloading before going into town. When I came back I had a PCN stating that I had been seen taking the ticket from another motorist and therefore had failed to display a paid for ticket. I can't believe that the warden in question didn't have the decency to at least warn me so I could buy a ticket and he waited until I left. I have an £80 ticket for failing to display a £2 ticket. It was a private car park - does anyone have any advice on appealing?

You don't 'appeal' a private ticket as their appeals process is just there for show, it is not a real fine (and the PPC muppet wasn't a 'Warden'). They will send you a series of threatening letters then crawl back under their stone. Some of these tickets look official but IT'S A SCAM!

Please DON'T contact them, don't even try to appeal (they never allow appeals and you are best advised not to give them any info such as who the driver was...). They just try to extort money from as many victims as possible. Don't be a victim of this scam.

If you click on the blue link 'Parking Fines, Tickets and Parking' above (it's under the orange 'BANKING SAVING' tab) you will get a whole list of recent posts on parking tickets. Set aside a couple of hours to read all those which relate to private tickets, until you understand the scam. Then ignore their silly letters pretneding to be from Solicitors and Debt Collectors etc. They won't take you to Court and they WILL leave you alone if you ignore them.

BTW THIS THREAD IS FOR REPORTING APPEALS SUCCESSES AND FAILURES ONLY.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • woodymegwoodymeg Forumite
    206 Posts
    got a parking ticket last year when we went to filey for the day, went into the car park which gave details of parking etc but then drove further on through an opening into a big field no where on the opening or aroung were any details of parking times or parking machines to purchase tickets, so stupidly of us we thought it was free. Got a 25.00 ticket, rightly or wrongly we chose to ignore this just never seemed to have money. at end of october came out of house to find car clamped on drive and saw the guy who had just done it, we had to pay£418.00 to get it free but didnt have that until end of october. any advise or do i just forget about it.
  • Neil_BNeil_B Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    MSE_Wendy wrote: »
    articlealert.gif

This thread's to report successes for the Parking Ticket Appeal guide.

To discuss/ask a question click post reply.

If you want to discuss parking tickets rather than report a success go to the
    Parking Ticket Appeals Discussion

:money:Plus, read about Martin's appeal success in his Parking Fines blog.

How to report your success/failure:
    1. Click reply to enter you story
    2. Report your story in the following format:
    • Who was your ticket from? (e.g. Civil, Police or Criminal)
    • Which stage did you get to? (e.g. informal, formal, tribunal, Ombudsman)
    • How much did you get back?
    • Which ground did you appeal under?
    • And then write your brief reclaim tale...

Are you reporting a failure or asking for advice?
  • edited 9 November 2009 at 11:35AM
    Coupon-madCoupon-mad
    105.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 9 November 2009 at 11:35AM
    woodymeg wrote: »
    got a parking ticket last year when we went to filey for the day, went into the car park which gave details of parking etc but then drove further on through an opening into a big field no where on the opening or aroung were any details of parking times or parking machines to purchase tickets, so stupidly of us we thought it was free. Got a 25.00 ticket, rightly or wrongly we chose to ignore this just never seemed to have money. at end of october came out of house to find car clamped on drive and saw the guy who had just done it, we had to pay£418.00 to get it free but didnt have that until end of october. any advise or do i just forget about it.

I take it you need advice, so you need to start a new thread and make it clear who gave you the ticket and who clamped you (private company)? Also read the Clamping Guide thread here first which may answer all your questions (you basically take the private company and the Landowner to the County Court):

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=25251995&highlight=clamping+guide#post25251995

THIS THREAD IS FOR REPORTING APPEALS SUCCESSES AND FAILURES ONLY. A NEW THREAD IS NEEDED FOR EACH NEW CASE.

Anyone thinking of posting on this thread please ONLY report appeal successes or failures.
  • Back in July, I was parked in a private public car park run by Euro Car Parks ltd, I had overstayed my time on the ticket by a few minutes I think but as i got back to the car an attendant was there taking details, but said nothing and ISSUED nothing. A month or so later I got a PCN enforcement notice saying that I had not paid the original ticket, which I had obviously not been issued, but the attendant still put it through. After several letters to and fro and that I am in dispute with them, they are still harassing me. I have now received a letter from a debt collection company threatening me with a county court judgement. Where do I stand?
  • Strong and firm I hope.
  • edited 13 November 2009 at 1:50AM
    Coupon-madCoupon-mad
    105.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 13 November 2009 at 1:50AM
    GordonG wrote: »
    Back in July, I was parked in a private public car park run by Euro Car Parks ltd, I had overstayed my time on the ticket by a few minutes I think but as i got back to the car an attendant was there taking details, but said nothing and ISSUED nothing. A month or so later I got a PCN enforcement notice saying that I had not paid the original ticket, which I had obviously not been issued, but the attendant still put it through. After several letters to and fro and that I am in dispute with them, they are still harassing me. I have now received a letter from a debt collection company threatening me with a county court judgement. Where do I stand?

You don't need to spend any more time or postage on it; in fact your letters so far have just wasted your time and fuelled their appetite to pursue you. It's never too late to ignore PPCs unless they have actually issued Court papers (then, and only then, take notice & post again).

Just file all their letters as they arrive, do not respond again at all and don't worry.

They will get fed up and move on to another victim after a few letters. PPCs get their money (shedloads of it) from those victims who actually believe their lies and pay up. Don't be a victim!
    Euro Car Parks send letters headed up 'CC Collect' I think, which pretends that they are about to take the matter to litigation. But they don't do litigation, ECP have never been known on parking forums to take anyone to court - it has not ever been reported AFAIK (there is a solid defence available on parking forums for anyone who is actually taken to Court, anyway, but you won't have to avail yourself of it).

I got another letter from a PPC today (I just filed it and laughed about their threats with OH, and I even read them out to my children who are well educated in this scam now)!

BTW THIS THREAD IS FOR REPORTING APPEALS SUCCESSES AND FAILURES ONLY.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1363571

Anyone thinking of posting on this thread please ONLY report appeal successes or failures. Newbies please start your own separate thread, where you'll get a proper response!!