IMPORTANT REMINDER: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information. If you are uploading images, please take extra care that you have redacted all personal information.

Parking Ticket Appeals successes and failures

edited 10 June 2010 at 3:36PM in Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking
556 replies 478.1K views

Replies

• *lou_lou**lou_lou* Forumite
    14 Posts
    My dad recently parked in the car park of a well-known German food store and was given a ticket for staying longer than an hour and a half. When he received the ticket through the post, he phoned the company and asked them if they had any proof. As the company uses 'cameras' and there is a legal loophole within Scots law about using cameras to record this (or something to that effect) he received a letter two days letter to say that the charges would be dropped!

Success!! :T
    Debt Nov 07: £10k give or take
    Debt July 09: £0 :T
    Back to uni September 09 (2 year course)
    Aim: try and keep debt to a minimum :eek:
  • Hi I recently parked in a permit only parking bay on the belief that if the bay wasn't fully painted they can't officially give me a ticket due to the fact I could not see a fully painted white line. :confused:

I have received a letter back saying they think I should pay, yet if I appeal it by the time the person gets back to me, I will no longer be entitled to half price discount! :eek:

Please help, it's all a con if I don't appeal I get it half price but if I do and lose I pay full price - it is blatantly saying to you don't bother appealing!:mad:
  • sarahg1969sarahg1969 Forumite
    6.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi I recently parked in a permit only parking bay on the belief that if the bay wasn't fully painted they can't officially give me a ticket due to the fact I could not see a fully painted white line. :confused:

I have received a letter back saying they think I should pay, yet if I appeal it by the time the person gets back to me, I will no longer be entitled to half price discount! :eek:

Please help, it's all a con if I don't appeal I get it half price but if I do and lose I pay full price - it is blatantly saying to you don't bother appealing!:mad:

No one is going to see your post here.

Read the sticky on the front of the board and follow the instructions. You need to start your own thread. You haven't even said who the ticket is from.
  • AdalineAdaline Forumite
    269 Posts
    Hi,

My first ever post! Partly to celebrate my success. I was given a parking ticket yesterday, when I parked on double yellow lines, clearly displaying my Blue Badge and time disc. There was a loading bay with restricted times just next to this, but I deliberately didn't park there (though others had). I was given the ticket because apparently the double yellow lines were included in the loading area. I appealed saying there were no road markings on the road or pavement to indicate that it was a loading area (needs double yellow lines on the kerb for this). I got an email today saying that they had agreed to cancel the ticket. Apparently there are lines on the kerb, but these had been 'obscured by all the leaves'!! So they agreed to cancel it for this one time. :T:T Thanks to Martin for the letter templates. It's really worth appealing: I didn't think I'd get it, but just saved £35!!
  • I was issued a ticket beginning of this year after parking in a motorcycle bay in Westminster , London, just behind Victoria Street, Now this bay is very long for a bike bay, and last time I parked there it was free , I was to go and pick the wife up this particular afternoon, and she'd noticed the warden 'checking' the bikes in the bay , and she was confused as to why he was doing it.

Anyway I turned up and parked and by then the warden had gone away, we did our little job took about 15-20 minutes and when we got back to the bike there was a ticket slapped on the mirror, so I went across to the council offices across the road, you can see them from the bike bay and explained to the unhelpful chap what had transpired, he said apart from " you should get photographic evidence including going to 'snappy snaps' to get them processed , " he also said " you'll have to explain it to somone else as by the time you get back I'll have gone home " .

I got my camera fone out and took snaps, I took the bike at one end of this very long bay , and also I had to hunt round for the placard that supposed to explain the parking procedures, now imagine turning up to a long bay, you park nearest the high street where you want to go, but at the other end is a very small sign, no bigger than your forearm , that also tilted to be parrallel to the road, so if your at the side all you see if an edge, I took photos of this as well as a long shot of the whole bay, I sent in all the paprwork. and lo and behold 3 weeks later the matter was resolved with the council backing down and cancelling the PCN, the warden wasn't at all helpful and actually waited not 4 feet away for us to leave the bike KNOWING we hadn't noticed the sign, or made the phonecall to 'pay' for parking, he at NO POINT mentioned out of common courtesy " 'Scuse me mate, you know this is now a paying bike bay?" , he waitied for us to leave so he could get his commission from our tickets, well he didn't get any of this one.

So my advice to anyone parking, check the scenery , make sure you car / bike or scooter is parked in the bays, also see where the signs are as I explained to Westminster council that their placard was no where near to where a lot of people would be parking, and there was no other sign pointing to the fact that this was now a paying borough for motorcycles.

So WESTMINSTER council , get your act together , and try and be helpful nesxttime, or better yet get staff trained on interpersonal skills like being considerate. Westminster PCN ---- FAIL.
    Haha.
  • nicechapnicechap Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Using the brains on Pepipoo I've just won my appeal against a City of Westminster parking ticket, £120 saved!

A little bit like Datawrath's experience, the CEO deliberately left off the parking bay suspension sign in his photos to PATAS, and, in their evidence to PATAS, the council claimed the bay conformed to the Dept of Transport guidelines when even their photos showed it didn't.
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • ukc331ukc331 Forumite
    3 Posts
    :rotfl:IGNORE, IGNORE, IGNORE!!!:rotfl:

I still have the occasional threatening letter for unpaid `tickets` issued by various Europarks dating back 5 years. Do not reply to any correspondance and do not be intimidated by any of their threats!!!
  • Dear All,
    can i first say you may use this letter as a template or guideline to your own details. It worked for me.

Upon going to get my hair cut with my little boy i realised i had no money in my wallet and had to extract some from the local cash point. upon attending a shopping precinct i noticed there were no parking bays available. having my 18 month old in the car i pulled up out side the cash machine causing no obstruction etc so i could keep an eye on him and i was only going to be 2 minutes. double yellow lines were present and i was aware of this, however it was no on a public road per say but in a private shopping precinct.
    i exited my vehicle and proceded to the cash machine no less than 2 metres away. having been literally 2 mins i turned my back to see a large male taking a photo of my car and had placed a sticker on it containing further paperwork.
    i naturally asked him what he was doing? he then stated i had been issued a 'penalty charge notice' for 1) not parking correctly in a marked bay and also 2) for causing an obstruction.

i explained my story and theory of why i had parked there to no avail. i appreciate he has a job to do. the fine was £150 but if paid within 48 hrs was reduced to £100. i did remove the sticker (not knowing any better at the time) from my vehicle and proceeded home. by now, i thought the local authority only charge around £30-£60 for a fine why is this so high?

i came home and did some research on the good old internet about the fines, penalty charge notices etc and realised they are uninforcable and it comes down to contract law which has to be heard in court and even then test cases at court have all be thrown out and dismissed. i decided not to pay.

this was in the july!! i recieved a letter in the january some 6 months later from an official solicitors who i verified and i do know them. this letter stated that unless i paid £150 within 7 days i was going to court. I thought Tough!! im not paying, and the solictors are obvioulsy getting a cut of the money as they can use their headed paper and look all official and scare people with their letters.

i wrote back stating i was not paying and i would choose a court appearance. i recieved a second letter stating the same. i wrote back the same stating i wanted a court hearing. i then recieved a third letter stating the parking firm had decided not to continue the charge notice!!

excellent i had won!! stand by your guns!! do not pay!! have faith in what is right!!
    there were conflicting signs at my site where i was issued a private firms fine.
    The best bit was when i returned to my car and i saw the parking attendant returning to his which was parked in a customer bay!! and i was issued a ticked for not parking in a customer bay!! because this attendant was parked where he could see all and prey on motorists!
    Use this letter if you wish and change anything help yourself. this is not a official legal letter and common sense prevails when using it.

of course i forget to tell you what occupation i am in, all im saying is i have a little legal knowledge!!

Without Prejudice

Dear ???????????,

I refer to your letter dated ???????????? in relation to an outstanding payment which is allegedly owed to your client, ?????????????????????.

I am slightly confused as to the content of the letter. It states I must pay £150 to your office within 7 days or face court action to recover those fees plus additional costs which may be incurred.

I am a law abiding citizen, with a clean driving license and no criminal convictions. I have worked since leaving school paying all taxes to the state. I find this letter to be very intimidating, alarming and distressing especially as no offence has been committed.

There are unclear directions on signage placed in various areas. Please see attached photograph. If you could tell me what this means then I would be most grateful for future reference. You can clearly see there is a customer parking notice and also a traders parking notice next to each other. Can I park in the bays below these signs? Perhaps your client or landowner could clarify.

The fees expected are completely disproportionate to any offence known on this scale and are only being charged at this rate due to it being a private company and not local authority. The fine does not represent any substantial loss or inconvience to the company in anyway. There are various other concerning points which will be highlighted and raised when court proceedings commence.

I have sought legal advice in a quick time frame to meet the requested deadline. I have been requested to ask for the following Information so this matter can be pursued on my behalf;

· To detail the actual offence allegedly committed – unfortunately your letter does not contain this
    · A copy of any parking ticket issued that day to vehicle (YOUR VEHICLE)
    · On which day, time and location this offence was committed
    · Full details of the issuing security officer and their vehicle used that day
    · Details and copy of the security officers Security Industry Authority license and serial number
    · A copy of the security officers note book and all notes made in relation to this matter
    · A detailed description of the driver of vehicle (YOUR VEHICLE REG) when the alleged offence occurred
    · All documentary photographs and cctv that are held by your client, landowner and your office in relation to this matter
    · Copy of all witness statements
    · A copy of the contract between landowner and (THE PARKING COMPANY DETAILS)services
    · Any other material in relation to this matter which may undermine this case

I deny any alleged offence and intend to plead Not Guilty. I have sent this letter to you via Royal Mail first class recorded delivery so you should receive it within the time frame you requested and an audit trail will exist with Royal Mail.

It would be appreciated if the above points could be actioned and material could be sent expeditiously. If possible could the letter from yourself be sent recorded delivery to ensure I receive it so there will be no issues if they are lost in the postal system.

Yours faithfully

YOUR DETAILS.
  • I visited a retail park and parked in their car park. On return to my car I had received a ticket from a private company stating I hadn't parked the car correctly according to their advertized conditions. They then started chasing me for payment, which I refused to make and advised them that I was disputing the ticket. In my opinion I had parked correctly and the reasoning on their ticket didn't match their advertized terms at the car park. Eventually, their debt collector wrote to me and I advised them that they would have to take me to court over this as I believed the ticket to be incorrect. They stated the company wouldn't progress matters and I have heard nothing since.

All parking bays were full so I parked in a position that was safe, not on yellow lines, not an obstruction nor an inconvenience to other users. In my opinion this was within the sated terms of parking. However, the ticket said I hadn't parked in a designated bay. My argument was that the terms didn't state I had to park in a bay and I took photos of both their terms and how I was parked at the time.

The parking company is based in Scotland and the car park is in Lincolnshire. I advised them that if they took me to court I was quite happy to sit in front of a judge in a small claims court and argue my case. Plus, as I was the defendant, I would have requested the case was held locally, to which they would have had to pay a lot of money to their solicitor for a £60 fine and no costs. They saw my point.
  • edited 19 August 2009 at 10:09AM
    rrdiverrrdiver Forumite
    2 Posts
    edited 19 August 2009 at 10:09AM
    A few years ago my son parked his blue ZX in Manchester on a Friday evening and the parking meters gave free weekend parking. He went back early on the Monday morning to find yellow bags over them and his car had been towed away. He had to pay around £140 plus a fine to get it back. I appealed for him as he had been genuinely mistreated. The appeal was dismissed and he was sent back photographic evidence of a different blue car (Ford) at a parking bay with a yellow bag, a picture of his car on the transporterand apicture of a 'notice of filming' that hadn't been there when he parked. In their letter they advised that he could further appeal to the 'parking adjudicator' but that costs could be heavy. Also in the information was a legal leflet from the adjudicator which stated that costs were not normally awarded if a claimant lost. I wrote another letter to the adjudicator under the laws of evidence as to win any form of legal case there has to be 'continuity of evidence' and this evidence was not only incomplete but false. He was given all his money back and the adjudicator slated MANCHESTER PARKING for using threatening language in trying to frighten him with high costs. MANCHESTER PARKING ARE CROOKS and parking wardens are scum. :mad: