IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Parking Ticket Appeals discussion

Options

Comments

• unite79
    unite79 Posts: 392 Forumite
    Options
    I wonder if someone can help me -

I have a Parking space I pay for with NCP - The trouble is that if I arrive at teh car park afte 8.00am, the car park is completly full - I have wrote to NCP and advised that I find it unacceptable that they are taking a payment from me, yet not providing the Service, ie a car park space - they do not respond in letter - they rung and said it was tough - as I was only pre-paying for my car-parking space, and they do not have to guarentee it!
  • Hopeless123
    Options
    I pay what I think is an extortionate amount to the council for a season ticket every 13 weeks, to be allowed to park in the town's football ground car park, which is closest to work. It's not a very well looked-after car park, but that's beside the point, I suppose. I have to buy it in advance as wrestling with the unpredictable ticket machine each morning was putting me in a bad mood for work!

Anyway, I always put the new ticket in the car when it arrives, but there's often about 7 - 10 days before it becomes valid, so I have to remember to change them over on the right day. One morning I'd got into work before I realised I'd forgotten to do this. I really didn't think it would matter, after all I had actually paid to park.

Well, you would think anyway..... I went back during my lunch hour to swap the tickets over and found I had a penalty notice. It had been written out about 10 minutes before I got there. I honestly still thought I'd be OK, I rang and said they'd made a mistake, all they had to do was check the computer. Yeah right! There is no link between the man who wanders round the car park and the council office. I had to appeal in writing and lost. I'm still mad about it now and that was almost a year ago. I currently have next season's ticket in a 3rd holder with a note that says 'Current/old ticket above, new ticket below, up yours a**ehole'. Not very ladylike I know but you can probably tell I'm not particularly pleased, can't you :-)
  • JoJhally
    Options
    I have received a PCN through the post because my car was photographed.

Can anybody advise what signs (if any) should be put up by the council for such PCNs to be valid ie where cctv images are being used to issue PCNs.
  • spanishfly_2
    Options
    I broke down outside an alleyway on main road.Police gave me a parking ticket. i phone main police phone line and explain the situation. The lady police woman who gave me the parking ticket knocked on my door whilst i was on the phone to them. I explain i could not, I had broken down. she and her partner helped me to push it to a car park down the road..I asked her if she was going too wave it...all she said was it was my responsibilty to move the car quicker and because i said it was very unfair and would appeal, she then proceeded to tell me it would cost me more money than paying and proceeded in cautioning me and read my right...I was very puzzle as she had just helped me to move the car and no voices had been raised,..I thought that when police reads your rights, they take you to the police station and book you. I was shocked as easely they read your right to remain silent...she did not like the fact that i told her i was going to appeal. I wrote to central ticket office and a letter came back saying that police had entered the following statement :- "Mitigation will not be considered by the issuing authority and correspondance not entered into."
    any advice anyone!
  • campfreddy
    Options
    unite79 wrote: »
    I wonder if someone can help me -

I have a Parking space I pay for with NCP - The trouble is that if I arrive at teh car park afte 8.00am, the car park is completly full - I have wrote to NCP and advised that I find it unacceptable that they are taking a payment from me, yet not providing the Service, ie a car park space - they do not respond in letter - they rung and said it was tough - as I was only pre-paying for my car-parking space, and they do not have to guarentee it!

I would personally check the terms and conditions. If you are pre-paying then there would have to be a contract or terms and conditions. They may not have provided them to you but they should be available - check their website or write to ask for a copy.

I would imagine you may be the victim of the old small print where they state exactly what you've been told over the phone. It may not be the case but you need to check what you are paying for.

HOWEVER, I am sure that there are regulations about how companies must provide access to terms and conditions - I think this is covered by the Sale and Supply of Goods and Services Act so I would speak to Consumer Direct 08454 04 05 06 who will be able to advise you as to whether NCP were remiss in their obligation to inform you of their terms and conditions.

I don't think this is a parking issue, more a failure of service.

(I may be wrong, I am not a lawyer)
  • dogsbody321
    Options
    I'm afraid I have no advice, but your story highlights the main reason why the police have no respect any more in this country.

Instead of 'no correspondence will be entered into' they should have said 'no common sense will be used'
  • campfreddy
    Options
    spanishfly wrote: »
    I wrote to central ticket office and a letter came back saying that police had entered the following statement :- "Mitigation will not be considered by the issuing authority and correspondance not entered into."
    any advice anyone!

Me - I'd write to the polic complaint commission http://www.ipcc.gov.uk/index/complaints.htm and tell them everything about the ticket and the response. Secondly I would contact your local police station and make a complaint about the officer who threatened you after she helped you.

I would also contact the council who probably also control that parking area and ask if the PCN is registered with them. They may also have some advice about this.

You are entitled to appeal (and win) if you have broken down.

And don't be intimidated by police - in my time, I've pulled over a police car for having a broken tail light, and I also written to complain when I got pulled over by the police because I wouldn't let a police car cut into a line of traffic I had been sitting in for 20 minutes because undertook in a slip lane. He wasn't using his blues and twos so I saw no reason why I should let him it. He refused to look at my license and attempted to intimidate me (I was taller than him which didn't help matters much........I'm a girl). He then tried to tell me that I did a dangerous move by cutting him up (traffic was moving at under 5pmh) to which I told him I knew because I rode a motorbike through town every day. He didn't get anywhere with me so gave up. I still complained about him.

I don't know what to tell my son about police - I am sure I shouldn't be telling him to be wary of them.............. this isn't the 1950s anymore :(
  • dougalosama
    Options
    Hi

Does anyone know what spacing is required for police no waiting traffic cones to be adequately positioned. I'm appealing a ticket when we attended an Air-display show at Portrush (N Ireland) 7 September. There was one cone the space of a church entrance behind my car (2 car lengths - west) and no visible cones at all in front (east) of my car - but we all got tickets. The official photo's support me, but they have dismissed my initial appeal, saying that there was another cone east - just that you can't see it in the photo (because it's so far away). I reckon the distance between the two cones must have been 10 car lengths plus. Not only did I never see a second cone, but if it was there further up the road surely they should not be spaced 50m apart??

Anyone know the guidelines on placing cones?
  • ctomo1978
    Options
    I have just recieved my Notice To Owner (NTO).
    I have already appealed and i'm also going through this process.
    I although was a little naughty!!!!
    I work in leicester for a recruitment company, i had arranged to meet someone at our office and take this person to work. i parked in a loading bay, took some files into the office and came back with the member of staff.
    i was gone into the building for approx 10 mins.
    when i came out i saw the traffic officer slaping a ticket on and taking final pictures. i walked up and said that i was only 10 mins and she said that the ticket had been made and that she could receed it, (fair enough, we all have a job to do and wasn't going to get annoyed)
    i appealed to leciestershire city council and they said that they have changed the policies, they now look at your car for 5 mins, if no one returns then they start the process of issuing the ticket, as they deem this a suitable amount of time to be loading/unloading, now the observed time on the ticket is 08:21 and the final time is 08:27, at this point she then slapped the ticket on my car (as i looked at her smiling!!!!!) I have appealed on the grounds that
    A) I was taking a box into the office (Unloading)
    B) i was putting a member of staff into my car (Loading)
    I'm going to fill in the NTO, but can anyone advise of what i should put regarding the following question?

i would like to ask, how long is deemed acceptable for loading and unloading?

A speedy response would be appriciated. many thanks to everyone.
  • campfreddy
    Options
    ctomo1978 wrote: »

i would like to ask, how long is deemed acceptable for loading and unloading?

how big is your office? Do you have a long way to go into the building to drop off supplies? That may be your only answer and argue that they were sensitive materials and could not be left unsecured as they may argue that you have to drop stuff off into reception only....

just a thought...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport