Forum Home » Old Style MoneySaving

Cauliflower? Recipe please

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Cauliflower? Recipe please

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
112 replies 10.4K views
carlih1carlih1 Forumite
846 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
Hi

I get my veg delivered and have now accumulated 3 cauliflowers 2 of which will go bad if i dont use them in the next few days

Any recipes other than cauliflower cheese?

Thank you

Carli

Replies

• wigginsmumwigginsmum Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    4.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cauliflower & potato soup (add Stilton if you like it)? Cut up small and add to stir-fries? Maybe you can pickle it?

Jules
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
  • TicklemouseTicklemouse Forumite
    5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you can't eat it all soon, then it freezes well IF you blanch it first. I've done this in the past if I've got a couple of caulis at a good price.
  • When you say blanch, do you mean simmer it? For how long? Do you let it cool afterwards or douse it in cold water? Sorry if Im being dim!
  • jfdijfdi Forumite
    1K posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭
    I've a super Cauliflower & Pea curry dish, if you'd like it?

Tastes scrummy.
    :mad: :j:D:beer::eek::A:p:rotfl::cool::):(:T
  • squeakysqueaky Forumite
    14.1K posts
    I'm a Volunteer Board Guide
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    beachbeth wrote:
    When you say blanch, do you mean simmer it? For how long? Do you let it cool afterwards or douse it in cold water? Sorry if Im being dim!

Most things you just boil for about a minute then dip straight into cold water. I've linked to a thread about freezing vegetables that has plenty of information that will help you:-

Freezing Vegetables
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Thanks Squeaky!
  • squeakysqueaky Forumite
    14.1K posts
    I'm a Volunteer Board Guide
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're very welcome :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • marybmaryb Forumite
    4.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    makes great veg curry mixed with carrots and green beans - which, of course, assumes you have those in the house as well
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • TicklemouseTicklemouse Forumite
    5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oooh, Mary, I LOVE a veg curry, but it must have potatoes in it. I may just have to make one this weekend. Thanks for the reminder :)
  • Cauliflower Pakora
    2 pounds Cauliflower, cut into bite sized pieces
    1/4 cup Yoghurt (thick)
    1 cup Chickpea Flour (Besan)
    1/4 tsp Baking Powder
    1/2 tsp cumin seed
    1/4 tsp Red Chilli Powder
    1/4 cup Water
    Salt to taste
    Oil to deep fry
    In a bowl mix all the ingredients except cauliflower pieces. The batter must have the same consistency as that of a cake. Dip cauliflower pieces in the batter such that they are completely covered with the batter. In a wok heat oil on medium and when oil is hot add the batter covered cauliflower pieces. Fry until this batch is about half done (just about when the colour of the batter starts to change) and remove from heat and keep aside. Do the same for all the batches. In the end take the first batch and refry them until they turn brown. Repeat for the other batches.
    Goes well with ketchup.