PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cauliflower? Recipe please

Comments

• I like cauliflower curry - it's really easy. you just fry a chopped onion and a chopped apple in a little veg oil and then stir in some curry powder. Throw in the florretted cauliflower and add about half a pint of water, 2 tbs of lemon juice, a tsp of sugar, salt and a big spoon of mango chutney (I add raisins but I know they aren't to everyone's taste). Put on a lid and let the cauli steam for about 8 minutes and then remove it and set aside. Boil the liquid to reduce it a bit and then thicken it with about half a cup of natural yoghurt mixed with 2 tsps of cornflour. Taste for seasoning and add back the cauli and stir to coat. Serve with rice and naan and it's lovely!
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
  • purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Curried cauli soup....errm Not sure where I have the recipe for that.... even if I had a recipe ever.

I would use an onion, gently fried till soft, a tbsp or 2 of curry paste or powder ( I think I always used paste for this) mix in. Add veg stock and cauli, salt and pepper. Simmer till cauli is tender, add a couple of good tbsp powdered milk and then blitz with stick blender. If consistency isn't good, then adjust by adding more liquid or thickening with a little cornflour. I suppose I would use a small-med cauli to about 1 litre of water.

Sorry this is a bit imprecise, but soup tends to be like that with me.

When I used to work for a well known tea room chain in NYorks, beginning with a B, we made a cauliflower salad. It was simply cauliflower broken into litlle florets, chopped spring onions, shredded iceberg lettuce and mayonnaise.
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • metherer
    metherer Posts: 560 Forumite
    I found out that it goes really nicely with peppercorn sauce.
    DH and I were down to noodles, cauli, and the sauce, and actually it made quite a nice meal.
    Not heavily in debt, but still trying to sort things out.
    Baby due July 2018.
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    purpleivy wrote: »
    When I used to work for a well known tea room chain in NYorks, beginning with a B, we made a cauliflower salad. It was simply cauliflower broken into litlle florets, chopped spring onions, shredded iceberg lettuce and mayonnaise.

I went there in Harrogate many years ago. Very nice from what I remember.

Thanks for all the replies. I'll give them a go.
  • liz545
    liz545 Posts: 1,726 Forumite
    I'm not really a big fan of cauliflower, but I've been getting lots of it in my veg box, and this recipe for cauliflower popcorn's been a good standby:

Preheat oven to 200c
    Chop the cauli into florets, and toss with 2-3 tbsp olive oil & 1 tsp salt until well coated and then place it in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet and roast for 25-30 mins. There will be some residual olive oil in the big bowl you used to toss the cauliflower. If not, add another tablespoon or two. Add 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs, garlic, and chili powder/herbs/black pepper or whatever takes your fancy, and mix well.

After the cauliflower has been baking for about 15-20 minutes anything in contact with the pan should be nicely browned. Pull the pan out of the oven, give it a good shake then sprinkle the entire pan with the breadcrumb mixture. Return the pan to the oven and finish with another ten minutes or so. The cauliflower should be tender throughout and the breadcrumbs nicely toasted. Serve hot!
    2015 comp wins - £370.25
    Recent wins: gym class, baby stuff
    Thanks to everyone who posts freebies and comps! :j
  • Skint_Catt
    Skint_Catt Posts: 11,548 Forumite
    Sorry to hijak, but instead of starting my own and it getting merged anyway I thought I'd ask on here.

I'm not the biggest fan of cauliflower either, but bought one at the weekend to make OH cauliflower cheese tomorrow night (is it just plain cheese sauce over the top?). Is there anything I can do to make it a little bit moer exciting though? We eat a lot of spicy things already so not interested in the curry or soup. I was going to just chop frankfurters into it, but still sounds boring.
  • kunekune
    kunekune Posts: 1,909 Forumite
    The cauliflower popcorn is good - I just call it roast cauliflower, and it is my favourite method of eating cauliflower.

Another thing you can do with it is cook it till it is softer than usual and then mash with milk and butter to make something that looks like mashed potato. It's a mainstay of low-carb diets but actually tastes fabulous.

My third idea is to turn it into tempura - just dip the florets in the batter and deep fry, serve with a suitable dipping sauce.
    Mortgage started on 22.5.09 : £129,600
    Overpayments to date: £3000
    June grocery challenge: 400/600
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Skint_Catt wrote: »
    I'm not the biggest fan of cauliflower either, but bought one at the weekend to make OH cauliflower cheese tomorrow night (is it just plain cheese sauce over the top?). Is there anything I can do to make it a little bit moer exciting though? We eat a lot of spicy things already so not interested in the curry or soup. I was going to just chop frankfurters into it, but still sounds boring.

That's basically how I would make a cauliflower cheese, then you could put it in the oven to go brown on top. I suppose you could use it as a side dish to go with the frankfurters.
  • purpleivy
    I used to do some rashers of bacon, cut up and fried with mushrooms and onions as a 'topping'
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
  • purpleivy
    Justamum wrote: »
    I went there in Harrogate many years ago. Very nice from what I remember.

Thanks for all the replies. I'll give them a go.

That was the one I worked in!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family