Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

November 2008 Grocery Challenge - Page 52

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

November 2008 Grocery Challenge

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
1K replies 79.5K views

Replies

• nickynoo08 wrote: »
    for some inspiration cuz i'm sick of eating the same stuff all the time - there's only so much you can do with mice and pasta!
    Have a good day everyone

Oh dear have we got to the point when we've started in on the rodent population for our protein for the day?
    It's up to me now and nobody else.
  • BarneysmomBarneysmom Forumite
    10.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone, just updating my sig, spent £23.00 in Mr.M's and I've got some lovely sausages to make a toad-in-the-hole today, I really want the yorky pud to work this time! ;)
    I have tried using a little less milk, more like a quarter of a pint to an egg and 4 oz of plain flour. It seemed to rise better, but still not perfect.
    I wondering if I put it too high up in the oven?
  • keldkeld Forumite
    140 posts
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Thanks everyone.:T

I'm keeping up the spending diary, which is not pretty reading already, so many unplanned for expenses.:o I suppose I'm one of those people who would love to have a jar/account for each type of spending/saving and DH isn't. I will admit that I think that it's me who actually spends the most, but usually for the children/household stuff. Although I do have my hair done every 6 weeks (I 'save' this money out of my weekly 'luxury' money), but if I didn't:eek: I'd scare the kids.

I suppose it's the money that 'vanishes' that bothers me most, well I'll keep at it, at least posting here is free.:rotfl:
    Mortgage [strike]£70,000[/strike] £1:j
    MF date [strike]31/08/2021[/strike] 6th February 2012:A

• Perhaps you could work out what you really do spend on food, then put the extra into a jar, even if it's just an imaginary one, for unplanned expenses? Then at least you wouldn't be wondering where the money vanished to, you'd know it was the school trip or birthday party pressie or new pe shirt or whatever, cos you'd have it in your book.
    GC Oct £387.69/£400, GC Nov £312.58/£400, GC Dec £111.87/£400
  • OrkneyStarOrkneyStar Forumite
    6.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Barneysmom wrote: »
    Hi everyone, just updating my sig, spent £23.00 in Mr.M's and I've got some lovely sausages to make a toad-in-the-hole today, I really want the yorky pud to work this time! ;)
    I have tried using a little less milk, more like a quarter of a pint to an egg and 4 oz of plain flour. It seemed to rise better, but still not perfect.
    I wondering if I put it too high up in the oven?
    Do you pre-heat your oil before pouring the batter on ?
    Just been to Mr T, spent £31.99 (although got £44.49 stuff as I used a £6 off £40 till spit, £5.50 Clubcard vouchers and a £1 off Appletise Clubcard voucher too). Four bags worth of stuff, prices not great but ok (hmmm except the 6 pack cat food that was £1.88 is now £2.23!), and we are well stocked up now, other than milk, which will be bought as and when (got money in my purse set aside for that!).
    Got another £6 off £40 till spit so will maybe use that for next weeks shop.
    Hope all doing ok.
    We are definately not wasting food money these days, but still spending a reasonable amount as I like to cook and its one of my main treats!
    x
    :heartpuls :heartpuls :heartpuls
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • This week's mealplan thread is up for anyone who is [strike]nosy[/strike] interested ;):p

Nikki x
    :A
  • TashjaTashja Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Tashja wrote: »
    Done the Moussaka !!!!

OMG Iwas in a panic because I have never done cheese sauce before and I nearly bought a jar but I perseviered (sp?) and it is so yummy and so easy !!

I also replaced some of the potato with Aubergene so the kids are getting another veggie in their diet. Can't wait for tea now !!

Not too sure there will be left overs though even though it is a big dish - might be pasta bake tomorrow !!

T xx

Just managed to post this on the Quick Questions thread. Not sure how though ???

Was meant to be here so here it is !!!

T xx
    Comp wins from 2011

11k in 2011 - £20.01
    :j
  • Penelope_PenguinPenelope_Penguin Forumite
    17.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped! Best Buy Bear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tashja wrote: »
    Just managed to post this on the Quick Questions thread. Not sure how though ???

Was meant to be here so here it is !!!

T xx

That's handy - I was trying to move your post from QQ, but it's disappeared :o

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • TheBeesTheBees Forumite
    601 posts
    Had to run into MrT for essentials including potatoes, carrots and some fruit, bread, milk and cooking margerine. Luckily the nice assistant let me put through some coupons totalling £2.50 for things I hadn't bought which helped keep the cost down slightly. :j Grocery spend was £17 and budget for the remainder of the month is £167. :D

Planning on doing an online shop for delivery next week which will hopefully last to the 30th if we're careful.

Good luck everyone
    Mortgage Free in 3 part 2 challenge - pay off £9000
    Sealed Pot Challenge 416 - target £500
  • hi well yesterday i didnt end up spending more and have just done with what we have till tomorrow when the mr T turns up! also when i did the shop i then went through and took of about £15 of things saying didnt really need etc! so yeah saved some there. But i couldnt find a code that would work for me :mad:. will update the sig tomorrow after i know the real price.
    hope your all ok today
    mel x
    GC: Nov: £60.22/£450 Oct: £338.48/£450, July: £363.05/£450, June £447.98/£500
    £2 savers No68: £104/£100 :j
    :jmummy to: 8yr, 5yr, 3yr, 2yr, 1yr. No6 Due Mar 2013 My world.:j