PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

November 2008 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• keld
    keld Posts: 140 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Now that this has fallen from the front page of Old Style, I'll add it to the Grocery Challenge. Read the first couple of posts, and you'll get an idea of how to try to cut down on your spends ;)

Penny. x

I had had a look on this thread, but was too embarressed to post, because we spend so much, so thank you:A . What counts when your counting your grocery spend? I mean obviously food, but what about cleaning products etc? As I'd like to join in.

Also how much detail should I go into for my spending diary? I've just rescued Monday's big:o shop receipt from the bin. Should I try to make a spreadsheet to break my sending down into types?, food, drink, nonfood consumables, clothing etc? I suppose the more information I have the better Ill be able to spot savings.

DH made tuscan chick pea soup last night (which is quick, cheap and delicious), so I've brought that in for lunch instead of a bought sandwich, see £2 saved already.:rotfl:
    Mortgage [strike]£70,000[/strike] £1:j
    MF date [strike]31/08/2021[/strike] 6th February 2012:A

• eveie189
    Options
    Hi Keld

Welcome to the board
    The beauty of the GC is that you can include whatever you want. I personally include all groceries, cleaning products and baby stuff and then I have an extras budget for other stuff like petrol etc.

As far as recording your spends that is also up to you. If you have the time to split it all up and aren't gonna think "sod it " after a couple of weeks then it would probably be the best way of doing it.

There are some great people on the board who can give some great GC ideas and advice.
    Good luck

Katie
    April GC 9th-7th may £0/£320
  • bigsmoke
    Options
    hi everyone, and welcome keld
    this is my first 'proper' month of the grocery challenge too - the first time that i've actually managed to keep up my spending diary anyway! and i tell you what, it makes me sooooo much more careful of what i spend! i'm actually enjoying the challenge, although i do feel like a little bit of a tightarse sometimes;) i have been used to spending a lot on groceries etc - i'm single and have worked myself up quite a hectic social life which is a massive part of my debt.
    the spending diary has really helped me realise what i can afford for something, rather than how i can do it for the least possible money, if that makes sense? so, i know that if i want to take a nicer bottle of wine than i can afford to my book group for example (i know i shouldn't, but i feel bad taking something really cheap), i can go through my budget and see where i can shave the extra pound or two off so that i can treat myself without overspending.
    just totted up my running total as we're nearly half way through the month and i'm half way through my money, not too bad.

just need to keep it up for the second half now - this is the longest i've stayed on track for i think, need to keep up the momentum!
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Welcome Keld,
    Glad you have joined us. I joined GC back in June- at first I counted every penny (I mean every last one)- realised that tbh our spending is trimmed down quite well now, so at the moment I give myself a set budget, aim to spend that or less, and if we do then thats fine by me. Any leftover in the bank will go into saving, notes will be carried to next month (not often many of the first two these days with prices going up lol), and loose change into DS's tin. I have a grocery budget which includes food, cleaning, toiletries, pet stuff, baby stuff (not nappies though as he is a real nappy boy!). Takeaways are rare but come from a sep. budget, as do any fancy toiletries (sometimes I treat myself to an expensive shower gel to cheer me up, whereas the standard stuff comes from GC budget). I no longer post a budget or a total as you don't have to, but most do as it seems to keep things on track for a lot of people.
    Anyway, not much to report for me today, a NSD after yesterday's stock up, might bake later if my back is ok, or maybe knit as am doing a wee pressie for a baby!.
    X
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• bigsmoke
    Options
    hi again Keld

orkneystar has reminded me - at the moment i write down every penny (against my grocery/sundries budget as well as against other things in my budget - e.g £15 for a friend's birthday party, how much did i actually spend), but i'm sure once i get better at it i'll be able to relax this a little (or maybe not!).

i include everything in my groceries budget that isn't accounted for somewhere else - i have a seperate 'boots' budget but that is more for medicines etc, shampoo and stuff is coming from the grocery money, along with stamps, batteries etc

i'm sure you'll work out the best way for you, but for me, for now, total control is the only thing that will cut it! good luck, do let us know how it goes :)
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    keld wrote: »
    Also how much detail should I go into for my spending diary? I've just rescued Monday's big:o shop receipt from the bin. Should I try to make a spreadsheet to break my sending down into types?, food, drink, nonfood consumables, clothing etc? I suppose the more information I have the better Ill be able to spot savings.

I tried to do that to start with - tried to list food into categories etc - in the end it was too much work and I couldn't keep up with it when working full time etc.

I keep mine to what shops I spent - eg Sains, Tesco, Aldi etc to see what shops I spend the most in. Bigger the shop, the more money I seem to spend :o

I include everything that I usually buy in the supermarkets in my shops (other than clothes, shoes and electrical items). So, bin liners, cleaning stuff, greeting cards, flowers for me :p (occasionally), shampoo, razors, bleach, etc.

I just take it all as one budget to make it easier.

Having said that.... I've not actually managed to come in UNDER my GC budget yet :rolleyes: But on the months where I haven't set a specific GC budget - I've been much worse!!! :o
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • FairyElephant_2
    Options
    OH DEAR! I've 'failed' already this month - AARRGGHHHH!!!!!

£184.11 spent so far (budget was £170) and there's srill 2 weeks to go!!!

In my defence, I have restocked a lot of my 'storecupboard' goods, so tinned & dry goods should keep me going into next month, but I will still have fresh fruit & veg, bread & milk to buy for the rest of this month - including a long w/e visit by the Stepkids who are all eating like horses at the moment!

I reckon if I'm careful I might come in at about £210, but a good £10 of that is stuff we'll use in Dec, so probably about £200 will be the 'real' total for Nov.

A bit disappointing, as I've done really well the last couple of months, but consoling myself that it could be worse, and at least I know that I haven't 'squandered' and spent money on useless stuff or things which have been wasted.

Oh well........
    The best advice you can give your children: "Take responsibility for your own actions...and always Read the Small Print!"
    ..."Mind yer a*se on the step!"
    TTC with FI - RIP my 2 MC Angels - 3rd full ICSI starts May/June 2009 - BFP!!! Please let it be 'third time lucky'..... EDD 7th March 2010.
  • Tashja
    Tashja Posts: 1,214 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ohhh I need to start thinking of Decembers budget !!

I am hoping that January will be a no spend month again (well £20) but DH likes to go all out for Christmas - we do loads of baking and cooking.

Need to sit down and have a think about the cheapest way to do this -maybe a small Tesco order each week with vouchers - also have £12 of tesco vouchers which will help.

Does anyone else spend loads more at Christmas ???

T xx
  • princess_leia_3
    Options
    Me too :( I have spent alot on Xmas & birthday baking goodies but I reckon I have spent about £230 so far :( so I will now target myself for £80 for the rest of the month so I have a new target to stick to and not just keep blowing the last one ;)
    I have however made DS 2 birthday cakes, got buffet tea tonight and off out bowling tomorrow so that should be fun :D as they have never done it before (ages 4 and 3!) Will update sig and amend budget to £315 for this month please
    Sealed pot Member target £200 - No. 151
    GC Yearly £3k so far £1097 May£220/£300
    £1k in 100 days so far - £235 :p
    Snowball debt free calculator says DEC 09 - lets hope we can do it!

• kindlesgirl
    Options
    Just popped in to update the sig and to read the posts! did a Mr T shop today and used £5 coupons on a £35 shop - so well chuffed! Also got a few bits of whoopsie and fortunately the storecupboard stuff I wanted was on offer/ bogof etc... - so a good day! Bought the F & V and eggs from the market so pleased with that too. I've found that just keeping an eye on what I buy, replacing branded with non branded and thinking before buying atreat has brought down the spends no end. I think after Christmas I'll be down to £240 a month and would like to get down to £200 later in the year. My fussy children do make it a bit harder as they won't eat baked spuds, soup and mince dishes very often and I can't bear making food just for it to be a battle ground - so try to make someof their favourites and then add in a few things that are OS and cheap! Good luck to all those starting the GC, it's been brilliant since I joined in July - learnt loads and saved loads!
    Kindles
    Sealed Pot 617 - target £150 only managed £27 in 2009!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure