Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

November 2008 Grocery Challenge - Page 48

New Post Advanced Search
We are currently experiencing a high volume of spam and have increased the sensitivity of our spam filters. This could mean that genuine posts may get caught. If you believe this has happened to one of your posts, please email the Forum team on [email protected] As always, we are really grateful for your patience whilst we get this sorted - which we'll do as soon as possible.
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

November 2008 Grocery Challenge

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
1K replies 79.5K views

Replies

• Ahhh thankyou! I'm learning, slowly, day by day LOL! I checked out the Super 6 at Aldi yesterday - very impressed!
    Wendy x
  • TashjaTashja Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Hoping for a no spend day today - determined to use up what I have in - I am sure I have enough milk but we are going through it something rotten :rolleyes:

Had a good look through the freezer and kitchen cupboards and I am sure I have most of the stuff in for a moussaka - will need cheese - so that will do for tomorrow so I can buy cheese and milk tomorrow and still have a NSD today.

Also if I can get some cheap beef (any will do) I have enough lambs kidneys in to do a beef and kidney stew which will last ages with home made bread. Some will be a stew and then I will freeze another portion for next week and make another portion in to a pie for another time.

Tonight I am not sure on - need to go and have another nosey in the cupbords to see what there is - still have a cubboard and a set of shelves that I haven't looked through yet :eek:

T xx
    Comp wins from 2011

11k in 2011 - £20.01
    :j
  • OrkneyStarOrkneyStar Forumite
    6.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Another £1 (well £1.29 to be exact) added to spend for 2L local full cream milk.
    Also got some treat special shower gel (better than normal stuff lol) so got that from seperate 'family' budget and some nice shampoo for DS too.
    Just off to do my flylady chores, hang up sheets, then shape the rolls for baking and have some nice lunch with DH/DS before settling down to knit.
    Well done everyone!
    :wave: :D
    :heartpuls :heartpuls :heartpuls
  • Oh dear, have run out of bread so just got a text from DH saying he was going shopping. I can see all my hard work slipping away............
  • keldkeld Forumite
    140 posts
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Hi,

Yet again I post asking for guidance/advice, but everyone's always so helpful:A, so I'm here again.

Here's a little bit about us 2 adults, 3 children (8, 4 & 4), we work and they go to school. At the mo we seem to spend a fortune on shopping, but whether it's groceries or stuff, I'm not sure.

Our weekly spend is at least £270:eek:, this does not include DDs, childminder etc.

This breaks down as:

£24.75 for 3 school dinners (I might switch to packed lunches in the spring, but I like them to have a hot, healthy? lunch).

£6.00 for DS after school sports, which is 3 times a week, so seems quite reasonable.

£30.00 for petrol.

£20.00 for milk, papers and eggs (these usually don't come to this, but then it gets raided for school trips etc).

The above all go into little jars, so that I can keep tabs on it.

This leaves about £190 of which DH and I take £20.00 each for 'luxuries'. Leaving £150 for groceries, but weekly shop usually only total £80-£100, so there's a rabbit away somewhere:mad:. DH feels constantly skint, which depresses him 'working all week for £20', but we must have some bad habits squandering money that we're not seeing.

What we have done so far is:

Weekly money in cash only.

DH does all the cooking :D from scratch, in bulk and the extra is stored in freezer, usually for kids meals after school at childminders. We try to buy as many offers as possible on the things we eat/use and ignore the others.

I now 'cut' my persil with washing crystals, squash my toilet rolls, don't buy kitchen roll any more, replaced my liquid handwash with foam dispensers:T.

I've just started a spending diary and am trying to make a note of everything that's spent, be it cash or cheque (just had to pay for school trip to panto £45:eek: , no spare cash this week so it's a cheque!) even though I'm trying to pin down the £270 weekly spend, I thought I should include everything except my fixed DDs.

DH says he won't cooperate as this is taking things too far, but I want to be able to see where it's all gone and say well we only had £40 for 'luxuries', but we actually spent £x more on such and such. I'm going to try to put this into a spreadsheet once I've got a months information.

Sorry to ramble on, but I know there must be savings in this £270 cash weekly spend, let alone the rest of our spending, because this seems such a big figure when you look at it as a monthly spend (£1,170):eek: , plus all the DDs and stuff.
    Mortgage [strike]£70,000[/strike] £1:j
    MF date [strike]31/08/2021[/strike] 6th February 2012:A

• Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • TashjaTashja Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Oh goodness

Just looked in the other cupboard !!! Think I might be able to make next month on £20 too !!!

T xx
    Comp wins from 2011

11k in 2011 - £20.01
    :j
  • Grrrr! Just typed up a long(ish) post and it's vanished into the ether :mad:

Anyway, relevant point were:

Hope everyone's doing well. My November budget is going OK so far. MrA have very kindly emailed me a code for free delivery on a £50 shop so I'll use that to take advantage of some of their offers and stock up on some store cupboard stuff. I don't often shop at MrA as it's way over the other side of town and not really worth the effort and petrol to make a special trip. But if they are so keen to do my shopping for me and deliver it to my door for free, who am I to argue... ;)

There's nothing on the email to say the code can only be used once, just once per household. If it's any use to anyone, shout out and I'll post the code - and share the MrA love :p

Need to pop to MrT on my way home tonight for carrots, butternut squash and sweet potato - made soup with the aforementioned items and decided to chuck in a few chillis off my plant. A few too many, unfortunately. OH can just about eat it, but I can't :o So I now need to make a batch without chillis so I can mix them together and tone it down a bit. Ah well, pre GC I would've just binned it, at least this way it won't get wasted.
    You can do anything, make anything, dream anything. If you change the world, the world will change.
  • TrigglesTriggles Forumite
    2.3K posts
    I'm trying to be good, after a small splurge in Aldi's. It was the first time we'd gone, and everything looked far too good! :rotfl:

We need more eggs, but I don't have anything planned today or tomorrow that needs eggs, so I'm hoping to wait until Friday morning and pick up both eggs and butter, plus some milk. That way I'm not picking up little extras each time I go in to the store! And a short trip to the market on Friday morning to pick up mince as well, as it's cheaper than at the supermarket. That way a NDS for today and tomorrow. I'm determined to come in under budget again this month!

We've been discussing using HM bread instead of storebought - but after one annoying result, I've put it off until the weekend when I can experiment a bit more to try a different recipe I found on MSE.
    MSE mum of DS(7), and DS(4) (and 2 adult DCs as well!)
    DFW Long haul supporters No 210
    :snow_grin Christmas 2013 is coming soon!!! :xmastree:
  • FrugaldomFrugaldom Forumite
    6.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi GC challengers, I'm afraid that I have blown the monthly budget, as I had to go into town this morning (don't get in very often) and decided to do a massive shop that included a 6.2kg (13lbs 7oz) frozen turkey, because Mr S has them on offer at the moment. Having just moved house with an almost empty freezer, I've now completely filled the freezer, the fridge and topped up the storecupboard, total spend to date (for the full year) = £1113.55 for 3
    The turkey worked out at just under £1 per lb as I made sure I got the full 6.2kg. (Price was marked at £13 for 4.8kg-6.2kg)

Sorry I can't keep up with the thread, between houses means no regular Internet access at the moment. Hope everyone is well, improving and sticking to their GC plans :)
    I reserve the right NOT to spend:
    The less I spend, the more I can afford!
    Now running Frugaldom as a lifestyle social enterprise and saving to build eco-cabins! :D
  • OrkneyStarOrkneyStar Forumite
    6.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    keld wrote: »
    Hi,

Yet again I post asking for guidance/advice, but everyone's always so helpful:A, so I'm here again.

Here's a little bit about us 2 adults, 3 children (8, 4 & 4), we work and they go to school. At the mo we seem to spend a fortune on shopping, but whether it's groceries or stuff, I'm not sure.

Our weekly spend is at least £270:eek:, this does not include DDs, childminder etc.

This breaks down as:

£24.75 for 3 school dinners (I might switch to packed lunches in the spring, but I like them to have a hot, healthy? lunch).

£6.00 for DS after school sports, which is 3 times a week, so seems quite reasonable.

£30.00 for petrol.

£20.00 for milk, papers and eggs (these usually don't come to this, but then it gets raided for school trips etc).

The above all go into little jars, so that I can keep tabs on it.

This leaves about £190 of which DH and I take £20.00 each for 'luxuries'. Leaving £150 for groceries, but weekly shop usually only total £80-£100, so there's a rabbit away somewhere:mad:. DH feels constantly skint, which depresses him 'working all week for £20', but we must have some bad habits squandering money that we're not seeing.

What we have done so far is:

Weekly money in cash only.

DH does all the cooking :D from scratch, in bulk and the extra is stored in freezer, usually for kids meals after school at childminders. We try to buy as many offers as possible on the things we eat/use and ignore the others.

I now 'cut' my persil with washing crystals, squash my toilet rolls, don't buy kitchen roll any more, replaced my liquid handwash with foam dispensers:T.

I've just started a spending diary and am trying to make a note of everything that's spent, be it cash or cheque (just had to pay for school trip to panto £45:eek: , no spare cash this week so it's a cheque!) even though I'm trying to pin down the £270 weekly spend, I thought I should include everything except my fixed DDs.

DH says he won't cooperate as this is taking things too far, but I want to be able to see where it's all gone and say well we only had £40 for 'luxuries', but we actually spent £x more on such and such. I'm going to try to put this into a spreadsheet once I've got a months information.

Sorry to ramble on, but I know there must be savings in this £270 cash weekly spend, let alone the rest of our spending, because this seems such a big figure when you look at it as a monthly spend (£1,170):eek: , plus all the DDs and stuff.
    Hi there :wave:,
    I am sure others will be along soon, but just wanted to say I think you are doing what you should just now- counting everything. I put it like that to DH, explaining that money is limited (yes we all have different limits but most of us have a limit of some sort!), and that if we keep a better check on where it goes then in the long run it makes more sense, helping us budget for bigger treats/holidays/big bills etc, whilst still knowing we have a little to play with! I understand he might feel like £20 a week is not a lot but believe me other have less (my DH works FT and has less than that- a lot less- per week!, but he knows it is his and everything else is covered). Spending a little, knowing everything else is covered, is actually more fun than spending lots then worrying about other bills! Perhaps you could both decide on something you would like (up to sy £50) and if you can find where that amount is dissappearing from your monthly or weekly budget then you get that money next month at the start, to have the thing you want ? Just a thought!.
    Anyway, welcome in and have a good look around the Old Style boards, as there are loads and loads of tips in here.
    x
    :heartpuls :heartpuls :heartpuls