Glasses Buying Cost Cutting Plan Article Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• Steve_xx
    Steve_xx Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    jack143 wrote: »
    they are big thugs sometimes 30 Pounds for 5 seconds of work is too much similarly a 5 Euro frames is ols is 105 Euros, now i dont waste my money on local opticians and order glasses from various online stores last time i ordered from shipping with prescription was perfect

Careful what you wish for. Judging by the jib of your script here, your sight is by no means perfect.
  • kelvinwebb
    Options
    Could anyone recommend an online place to get some new lenses put into my old frames? I see there's quite a few around but a recommendation of hassle free service would be good.

Thanks
  • HappyUser
    HappyUser Posts: 301 Forumite
    Options
    Hi!

I want to buy glasses but shops have very limited stock to choose from.

Is there an optician who can let me choose from a wide range of shape and size of lenses and maybe have some samples to try?

Also I want the frame to be flexible and memory and rimless.

Thanks!
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,898 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    HappyUser wrote: »
    Hi!

I want to buy glasses but shops have very limited stock to choose from.

Is there an optician who can let me choose from a wide range of shape and size of lenses and maybe have some samples to try?

Also I want the frame to be flexible and memory and rimless.

Thanks!

https://www.glassesdirect.co.uk
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Loads of on line options.

If going rimless ANY shape is available.

I use optical4less and goggles4u

You have to be comfortable you understand your prescription and PD.
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Depends on your prescription, some glasses are available off the shelf, if however you have a complex prescription this can limit things- for example my eyes are really complex and need a lot of help, as a result rimless are unavailable for people with a need for quite dense lenses like mine! It may be worth asking for what could be suitable rather than set your heart on a style you like then find out they are not suitable. Most opticians would be able to tell you either way if you have a prescription in hand.
  • HappyUser
    HappyUser Posts: 301 Forumite
    Options
    I went to ASDA and they said you only get what is on the shelve, there is no customisation or different shapes :(
  • JGB1955
    JGB1955 Posts: 3,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I would vote for an eye test and glasses from Asda - the care I've had from them over the past 3 years has far eclipsed the (don't) care attitude from Specsaver.... plus the package is far cheaper. I really feel that their optometrist is caring for me.
    #2 Saving for Christmas 2024 - £1 a day challenge. £131 of £366
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Funny that, I had exactly the same impression, used Asda when I worked near them. All other opticians - Specsavers, Boots, my local one etc, I'd asked had flat refused to put new lenses into my old metal frames (whos shape I can't get any more). Asda did it, were economical on a difficult prescription and even changed the arms silicon slips and nosepads for me.
  • koala_b
    Options
    Got a new prescription today at Specsavers with recommendation of varifocals. I qualify for an NHS Voucher so asked what was cheapest option and got quote of over £170!!! (Apparently the cheaper NHS frames are no good for varifocals!!!???) Thats the price with a voucher!!! With 2 kids and school uniforms this month, plus life, this is not an option. I said id have to come back as i didnt have that kind of money. Is that seriously my best and cheapest option??? My current glasses are not correct prescription anymore, and cant afford new ones.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback