Glasses Buying Cost Cutting Plan Article Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,898 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    RajaStyle wrote: »
    ok looking for an honest opinion (as we have so many optical people/users here), has anyone tried or have the Transitions Signature 7 Grey?

Looking to buy my next pair and was thinking of adding Transitions, from what I understand it goes dark on cloudy and cold days also or takes too long to go clear. Is this correct or annoying ? Would you buy it again ? Is it worth it ?

Any advice /feedback appreciated. I am going to buy separate sunglasses anyway, just some days I don't want to carry 2 pairs ... such as when I go to work in the city and want to come out just for lunchtime & commute. Thanks All.

I have Transitions and so does hubby.

We both wouldn't have anything else.

They go back to clear very quickly and they also go dark quite quickly.

I have brown and hubby has Grey.

Its a good idea to have separate sunglasses as Transitions don't go as dark as sunnies and I find that I need proper sunglass lenses to read outside when I am on holiday.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Dakota_2
    Options
    I've been going to my local Coop optician for years and I've always found them value for money, but they've changed their style of business. They've done away with their fully qualified dispensing optician and gone for the cheaper option of having less qualified staff.
    The problem is the new business strategy is very much take it or leave it, whereas the fully qualified dispenser knew his way round all the options. "Don't like the frame colour sir? No problem it's available in the colour you will like".

Add the fact that they aren't offering the range of frames they used to, but very much overpriced rubbish, I'm going to have to look elsewhere!
  • xxzeezeexx
    Options
    My prescription is high and usually considered complex. So far the only online glasses providers based in the UK that I have found cannot fulfill it.
    Has anyone from the UK tried the overseas based companies?
    I'm pretty fussy about my glasses and it would irk me to have them delivered and not like them.
  • xxzeezeexx
    Options
    When going for eye tests I am usually unhappy with what I end up with. I always say that I can make out the letters on the screen but I make it clear I can only because I know what they are already or I can guess what they are but the are still really blurry. Like below.
    23385647951_e7c995fa6d_m.jpg
    One time I just said I cant make the letters out and it was the one time I felt I had a prescription that was right.
  • Steve_xx
    Steve_xx Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    xxzeezeexx wrote: »
    My prescription is high and usually considered complex. So far the only online glasses providers based in the UK that I have found cannot fulfill it.
    Has anyone from the UK tried the overseas based companies?
    I'm pretty fussy about my glasses and it would irk me to have them delivered and not like them.

If you have complex requirements and your experience in the high street has been difficult, then it's hard to imagine that an online experience will prove any better.

You asked about overseas online providers. I wonder how you think that an overseas provider would be able to dispense anything better than that which could be dispensed by either a UK based optician or UK based online provider?
  • xxzeezeexx
    Options
    I haven't found frames i like in a high street optician.
  • xxzeezeexx
    xxzeezeexx Posts: 37 Forumite
    edited 4 December 2015 at 9:36AM
    Options
    So, does anyone have any experience of ordering from some of the non UK based companies listed on the MSE article that this thread is linked to?
  • Steve_xx
    edited 4 December 2015 at 9:37AM
    Options
    What is it that you think that a non-UK provider can give you that you cannot obtain from within the UK? From within the UK you can go to a high street optician and you can have your spectacles prescribed and properly fitted. Then, if there is anything unsatisfactory it can be resolved. How can you possibly achieve that desirable level of service if you are in the UK and the spectacles have come off of a conveyor belt outside of the UK?
  • xxzeezeexx
    Options
    I am asking for experiences of ordering online from overseas companies - knowing I am limited to online companies does not answer this question.
    There will still be bad ones and good ones among the companies listed on the original article and it is perfectly reasonable to ask for peoples experiences.
  • Steve_xx
    Options
    xxzeezeexx wrote: »
    I am asking for experiences of ordering online from overseas companies - knowing I am limited to online companies does not answer this question.
    There will still be bad ones and good ones among the companies listed on the original article and it is perfectly reasonable to ask for peoples experiences.

You say that when you visit a UK optician that your spectacles are not satisfactory. Given that is the case then I'm baffled as to how you could consider obtaining them from an overseas provider, even more so due to your comment that your prescription is complex.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback