Glasses Buying Cost Cutting Plan Article Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• Steve_xx
    Steve_xx Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The subtext is that it's too expensive for them to reproduce and the risk of them not be quite right on the fitting side. This of course underlines the importance of correct fitting and that cannot be achieved by an online provider.
  • paul.n_2
    paul.n_2 Posts: 18 Forumite
    edited 17 March 2016 at 3:55AM
    Options
    I've been buying glasses on-line for 3 years now.
    Initially I bought 2 pairs of multifocals/progressive lenses, neither of them were really satisfactory with distortion towards the base of the lens the main issue, but at least they were useable.

My latest pair though from Direct Sight DS are a disaster, and totally unusable.
    WARNING! Their website claims they don't do refunds on prescription glasses because they are custom made. Which basically means they can send you any old junk as they would only ever do a partial refund.
    Ok so how about if you used PAYPAL? nope they don't either, not for anything custom built.
    As has been pointed out previously, if you value your eyesight - your Pupillary Distance and Height are critical for fitting multifocal/bi-focal lenses.

Online suppliers should not be allowed to fit by guesswork, which is effectively what they are doing.
  • AngelaSwan
    Options
    Does anyone know of an optician that will fit lenses, (Varifocal) into my own frames. I have just had my eyes tested at Boots. The Rayban frames that I wanted were £230. I have just found the same frames, same serial number online for £75. I did read somewhere that Asda do this. After reading a lot of the comments I don't think that I would want an online company to fit lenses.
  • sjoyce
    sjoyce Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    I'm glad to hear Glasses Direct worked for you, I can't say the same thing. Martin tells us that you can order two different prescription under the 2 for codes, but I would not recommend it. My experience - completed order, fairly straight forward; arrive fairly promptly; then discovered that they had 'altered' my prescription (change from NR +1 to INT +1) apparently should make no difference, except I could not use them; emailed / emailed / phoned - apparently I had filled in the details incorrectly and should've ticked a different 'used for' box which doesn't change my prescription! Said to send back, gave prepaid printable, After a further phone call about it then eventually came back - but not my prescription, this time they are made up to my husbands! I give up!
  • Eeeehbahgum
    Options
    Can anyone recommend a dispensing optician who accepts NHS vouchers, is not afraid of high prescriptions and will give an honest answer to specific questions about pricing? I am in East Lancashire, but very willing to travel.

The situation is that I have a high prescription, but otherwise healthy, stable eyes and for the past several years I've been happily using Asda opticians, who've been providing me with high-power lenses in (fairly) hi-index plastic at the same bargain flat rate up to -20 dioptres. After my eyetest today, I was informed they can now supply only up to -15 dioptres. Bummer.

After getting home from my eye test, I spent hours on the phone trying - and failing - to get straight answers from local independent and chain opticians regarding acceptance of NhS optical vouchers, and possible extra costs/total cost. Voucher D, for which I am eligible, is currently worth just a little under £200. I simply cannot afford to spend more than an extra £75. My prescription is not complex, per se, merely high, and my eyesight corrects easily and well.

UK online dispensers are seemingly not permitted to deal in my prescription, and I am reluctant to go down the overseas online route - although I will if I have to!

Any help or suggestions would be very welcome. Of course, an optician that does -17 dioptre glasses at a flat rate of about £50 inc hi-index lenses would be perfect!
  • johnrrose
    Options
    The article includes this...
    RETAILER COST OF CHEAPEST FRAMES WITH LENSES (INCL DELIVERY)
    Selectspecs £10

Sadly, the provider says that the free delivery only applies to orders over £75.
    It would be better if this were made clear?
    Are providers required to OK information shown here?
    JRR
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,898 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    johnrrose wrote: »
    Selectspecs £10

Sadly, the provider says that the free delivery only applies to orders over £75.
    JRR

The OP is from 2005 and the links are no longer valid so a lot of the info could be out of date, if you search this thread I can only find selectspecs mentioned in 2012 so prices will of changed in the last 4 years.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,898 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    25% discount on complete glasses at Boots with the new Pharmacy Advantage Club

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=70858923#post70858923
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • RenTheRoosta
    Options
    johnrrose wrote: »
    Selectspecs £10

JRR

Completely agree with you - filled in prescription and got to checkout only to find delivery was nearly £6. List needs updating as Goggles4U also charge delivery.
  • cazspence
    cazspence Posts: 18 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Has anyone used net price designer spectacles dot com? Got a decent price for a pair of Michael Kors frames but can't find any info on them.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback