Glasses Buying Cost Cutting Plan Article Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• xxzeezeexx
    Options
    Steve_xx wrote: »
    You say that when you visit a UK optician that your spectacles are not satisfactory. Given that is the case then I'm baffled as to how you could consider obtaining them from an overseas provider, even more so due to your comment that your prescription is complex.

It is the prescription is what I have struggled with, getting one strong enough. I am not getting a prescription from online.

If I had found frames I like in my usual opticians and my other local companies, I would have got them there but I am SOL on that.
  • Steve_xx
    Steve_xx Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    xxzeezeexx wrote: »
    It is the prescription is what I have struggled with, getting one strong enough. I am not getting a prescription from online.

If I had found frames I like in my usual opticians and my other local companies, I would have got them there but I am SOL on that.
    I'm sorry I can't help further with this.
  • JeffMinter
    Options
    does anyone know of a place where I can buy cheap glass lenses online, preferably to fit existing frames? I have a high prescription and glass lenses are the only ones thin enough not to look like a coke bottle lenses :(
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Most opticians will give you the runaround if you as to re-lens old frames. Not enough markup.

Oddly enough, I found the Asda optician was willing to do it and at a reasonable price - with free replacement nosepads to boot. The last honest optician in town?
  • Vye
    Options
    Hi. Did you ever find a solution to this? I have been quoted £600 for replacement varifocal lenses!
  • Robin_Davies
    Options
    Glasses Direct has refused to make my order for glasses for my wife to the correct pupillary distance, measured by me three different ways. They will make to the wrong pupillary distance assumed by them. Please can you make this clear to others in your article, and possibly ask Glasses Direct how this restriction contributes to the eye health of their customers?
  • Steve_xx
    Options
    Glasses Direct has refused to make my order for glasses for my wife to the correct pupillary distance, measured by me three different ways. They will make to the wrong pupillary distance assumed by them. Please can you make this clear to others in your article, and possibly ask Glasses Direct how this restriction contributes to the eye health of their customers?
    How can this be since you input your own data on their online site?
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    They, (GD) won't supply glasses to my prescription, however they readily explain it's because of my unusual prescription. Haven't they told you the problem?
  • Steve_xx
    Options
    pmduk wrote: »
    They, (GD) won't supply glasses to my prescription, however they readily explain it's because of my unusual prescription. Haven't they told you the problem?
    .... or too expensive for them to produce and/or fitting issues?
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    In their professional opinion my prescription is complex. No other company considers it such though they usually start by assuming I've entered it incorrectly, the eyes have differing polarities, ie one + and one -.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback