PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Gingerbread men and other ginger bread recipes

Comments

• Hi All,

I'm a newbie here but was just wondering if anyone could help me out. Ive been trying to get into the christmassy spirit by baking gingerbread men but they've all turned out badly!

Have tried three different recipes, one came out really sticky, the other had about 20 ingredients and tasted weird and the third just ended up as gingerbread crumbs.:confused:

Although it probably serves me right for trying to be a domestic goddess (lol), I still want to try and make a decent batch. Has anyone got a tried and tested recipe they could pass on?

Thanks!

Lucy
    :A
    Very excited to be marrying my partner in crime for the last 7 years in September 2012 :j
    No longer a midlandsfairy... back living in the sunny south!
  • Hiya

I made this a couple of weeks ago, it makes loads so I ended up freezing half of the dough to make later on

Gingerbread

225g Self raising flour
    110g Brown sugar
    110g Butter
    1 egg beaten
    1 large tbsp Golden syrup
    2 tea spoon ground ginger

Crean the butter and sugar together and add the syrup, mix the ginger into seived flour with the beaten egg and stir the whole mixture to make a dough. Roll out, cut into shapes and bake in oven at about 180 for roughly 20 mins.

These came out not too gingery which is good for me as im not overly keen on ginger but you can add how ever much you like to taste :)
  • Thanks for that, thats brill. Will try making them tonight. Fingers crossed!!!

Lucy
    Very excited to be marrying my partner in crime for the last 7 years in September 2012 :j
    No longer a midlandsfairy... back living in the sunny south!
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I bought a gingerbread man cutter from lakeland that imprints the buttons ,and the face into the biscuit (have yet to try it out!)
    Now my little grandaughter is coming to visit for a week or two,can anyone give me a nice recipe?
  • angelnikki
    angelnikki Posts: 892 Forumite
    Gingerbread Men

450g plain flour
    2tsp ground ginger
    1tsp ground mixed spice (you can miss this out and just use ginger as this makes them quite spicy)
    2tsp bicarb of soda
    115g butter
    100g golden syrup
    115g light muscavado sugar
    1 beaten egg

Mix flour, ginger, mixed spice and bicarb in a large bowl.
    Melt the butter, golden syrup & sugar in a pan and then pour onto the dry mix.
    Add the beaten egg and mix to form a dough.
    Roll out to 3mm thickness, cut out shapes and cook for 15-20 mins Gas6 until golden brown.
    Decorate with icing (optional)
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Hi, there :beer: We have a gingerbread lady, and 2 gingerbread children cutters, too :D

I'll add this to the existing gingerbread thread so that you can see other recipes.

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • I'm looking for a specific gingerbread recipe, it was out of a magazine and was an old Silver Spoon (sugar) advertisement. It makes the best gingerbread ever, and my sister forgot to bring it round today!

Does anyone have a copy? Long shot I know :) We are going to experiment if not, we have the list of ingredients!
    I don't believe and I never did that two wrongs make a right
  • Can any of you lovely peeps help me out please? I've lost my favourite gingerbread/parkin pig recipe and need to make some for school Friday. Could anyone let me have a good one or direct me to the best website to get it.

I've googled it and I do remember mine having demerara sugar in to make it crunchy, but none of those on the sites use it.

Thank you,
    "It is always the best policy to speak the truth-unless, of course, you are an exceptionally good liar." - Jerome K Jerome
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 2 November 2010 at 8:31PM
    1sttimer wrote: »
    Can any of you lovely peeps help me out please? I've lost my favourite gingerbread/parkin pig recipe and need to make some for school Friday. Could anyone let me have a good one or direct me to the best website to get it.

Gingerbread and parkin are different things :) I'll look for some links for you. There's a thread on both here. The ones with oats are parkin; without, they're gingerbread ;)

What's "parkin pig"?
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family