PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Gingerbread men and other ginger bread recipes

Options

Comments

• MrsBartolozzi
    Options

What's "parkin pig"?

http://mysite.verizon.net/cbladey/guy/html/celbfood.html

I wondered that too. This site suggests it a parkin cake made into a pig shape which is eaten on 5th Nov in or around Bradford. (we don't get them up here, probably too cold ;))

It's only a game
    ~*~*~ We're only here to dream ~*~*~
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    http://mysite.verizon.net/cbladey/guy/html/celbfood.html

I wondered that too. This site suggests it a parkin cake made into a pig shape which is eaten on 5th Nov in or around Bradford. (we don't get them up here, probably too cold ;))

Thank you! That's completely different from parkin or ginger cake :D It's more of a ginger biscuit. I shall be making some for my "at home" on Friday.
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • 1sttimer_2
    Options
    Thanks for your replies.

Parkin Pigs are gingerbread men biscuits but in a pig shape! Not sure why we have them her 'oop North' but they are popular on Bonfire night!
    "It is always the best policy to speak the truth-unless, of course, you are an exceptionally good liar." - Jerome K Jerome
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I've merged this with the gingerbread men thread :)
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• Kitchenbunny
    Options
    I actually think I'm going to have a go at making some gingerbread men this year. I think it has to be done. What kind of icing is the best for decorating them?

KB xx
    Trying for daily wins, and a little security in an insecure world.
  • Fluffy30
    Options
    Hi there

Does anyone have a quick and easy Ginger bread recipe? I'm making treats for my football team and was wondering if you guys could help!

Thank you in advance :-)
    Loan1 [STRIKE]£11854.3[/STRIKE] £11420.62 CCard [STRIKE]£5770.52[/STRIKE] £5546.03 Loan2 £4383.90 LoanUncle £1500 LoanMum £1000 LoanDad £630 Supplier2 [STRIKE]£524.35[/STRIKE] £224.35 Supplier1 [STRIKE]£1092.7[/STRIKE] £700 Rent Arrers [STRIKE]£1775[/STRIKE] £1675
    £27361.82 :eek: Ill get there....somehow!!
    10K in 2010 £2068.38/£10 000 20% there.
  • nutty
    nutty Posts: 145 Forumite
    edited 24 November 2010 at 7:24PM
    Options
    Hi this is what I use with the kids I have just made a Bread Recipe website were i will be adding all my bread recipes :j I just love making bread and its saving me loads :D

INGREDIENTS
    350g / 12oz plain flour
    175g / 6oz light soft brown sugar
    100g / 4oz butter
    1 medium egg
    4 tablespoons of golden syrup
    1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
    1½ teaspoon of ground ginger

Put the flour, butter, ground ginger and bicarbonate of soda in a mixing bowl. Mix it all together with fingertips until crumbly. Add sugar, syrup and egg and mix until it forms a firm pastry mix.

Pre-heat the oven to 180°C / 350°F / Gas Mark 4

Using the rolling pin, roll out the pastry to about 5mm thick. Make sure the surface and the rolling pin are well dusted with flour. Cut out the shapes with a knife and/or pastry cutter

Place the cut out pastry on a greased or non-stick baking tray.

put the baking trays in the pre-heated oven. Remove after 15 minutes

decorate the gingerbread men.
  • RealButter
    Options
    I always use this recipe for gingerbread, it's really easy and tastes fabulous
    http://bakingbites.com/2007/11/gingerbread-men/
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    Fluffy30 wrote: »
    Does anyone have a quick and easy Ginger bread recipe? I'm making treats for my football team and was wondering if you guys could help!

As this has fallen from the front page of OS, I'll add it to the existing thread to give you more recipe ideas :)
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • young_un
    Options
    Morning all :)
    I'm wanting to make gingerbread people for christmas this year does anybody have a good easy recipe they could recomend? Ideally I would want them to be slightly chewy
    Thanks in advance! :)
    Xx
    Weight loss 0/37lb :(Vanquis £1476 Capital One £380
    Nov 2012 NSD 15/15 Dec 2012 NSD 14/15 5 in a row SPC #1874 Overdraft £800
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business