PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Chicken legs....inspiration needed....help!!!

Options

Comments

• SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Options
    :drool: I'm going to make your recipe later this week Beki it has me drooling!
  • FamilyTree_2
    Options
    Hi Masonsmum,

you could make a nice chicken and veg soup as you suggested or how about a nice chicken noodle soup, I like that when I'm ill as it's easy to eat.

I think I would roast the legs and then strip the meat off, boil the bones for soup, adding some of the chicken back in and saving the rest of the meat for a meal, like a risotto or curry, or even a salad or sandwiches. Maybe you father in law would like that as well if he's not too poorly.
  • masonsmum
    masonsmum Posts: 855 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for your replies

Beki - will try that tomorrow when I am off work, will let you know how it goes. :D
  • cuca
    cuca Posts: 102 Forumite
    Options
    I find that chicken legs make the best chicken a la king. Boil them whole until the water is quite reduced. Leave to cool a bit so that you can get the chicken off the bone. Back in pot, (use the leftover water from boiling) add mushrooms, peas and cream (or sometimes I use the packet mix :rolleyes: ). Serve with rice. I think the flavour is best when boiled on the bone, it makes the sauce so much more tasty.
  • HappyIdiotTalk
    HappyIdiotTalk Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    Options
    I've got some wings and drum sticks in the fridge from about 9 months to a year ago when I boned 3 free range chickens. They would be ok to use for this wouldn't they? I'm sure I read on here that frozen meat stores pretty much indefinitely in a good freezer (which mine is). Is that right? I'll get it out now to start it defrosting for tomorrow.
    SIMPLE SIMON - Met a pie man going to the fair. Said Simple Simon to the pie man, "What have you got there?" Said the pie man unto Simon, "Pies, you simpleton!"
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Options
    I've got some wings and drum sticks in the fridge from about 9 months to a year ago when I boned 3 free range chickens. They would be ok to use for this wouldn't they? I'm sure I read on here that frozen meat stores pretty much indefinitely in a good freezer (which mine is). Is that right? I'll get it out now to start it defrosting for tomorrow.
    :eek: I hope you mean the freezer.
    If so they are fine to use
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • Any
    Any Posts: 7,944 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I took some chicken legs out of the freezer this morning for tea tonight.
    I would like to just put them in a dish, with potatoes, juice and vegetable and just stick it to the Aga to cook while I am ironing to save myself some time.
    I've heard about it, but I've never done it myself, so I don't know what herbs etc to put in or how long to cook it for.
    I love carrots and I am planning to put them in there.

Has anyone got any quick advice please?
    Thank you:D
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 13 May 2009 at 11:43AM
    Options
    Hi Any

Ummmmm, you could try rosemary and thyme with cider? Or mixed herbs and chilli? What are your taste preferences? I would cook for a few hours on very low after bringing to a boil. I have never done this myself, but it is sure the way I would try it out! Here's a nice looking italian version , you can always substitute fresh herbs for dry by using half dry to fresh. Taste after an hour or so and add more flavour according to your taste? That's what I would do. At the end , if the liquid needs thickened, make a cornflour paste with a little cornflour and water and mix in and stir raising the heat a little. It should thicken up. You could always use instant mash, oats or lentils to thicken but you need the lentils time to cook - so they would need to come to the boil , then simmer for roughly 40 mins - skimming any scum off that forms. let us know how you get on.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• annakat99
    annakat99 Posts: 53 Forumite
    Options
    I was just about to ask a very similar question... so I'll tag onto the end of this if you don't mind!

I have inherited (housemate left them in the freezer) some year-old tesco value chicken legs. They are slightly freezer burnt. I am loathed to throw them away - can anyone suggest a good way of using them up? I am trying to think of a way to make them tender / flavoursome... Would you suggest cooking them slowly in some sort of sauce? Leaving the skin on? Roasting them? I have no idea (I don't usually cook meat on the bone!)

Thanks,
    Anna
  • Any
    Any Posts: 7,944 Forumite
    Options
    I have a very subtle taste really... Don't eat very spicy at all (to the disgust of my OH:-))

I have some Chicken Knorr pot which works absolutelly great in chicken soup.. Maybe I could just put that into the pot with some water and that would create juice for me?

Annakatt, normally I roast them, only this time I would like to do the ironing while dinner is cooked so want hassle free recipe.
    I roast them and then take the skin off, not before. I would eat the skin if the chicken is good expensive organic chicken, but otherwise I take it off. Especially if it's freezer burnt.

I love legs because they are always tender, they don't go dry like breasts do if you are not careful. It's very difficult to mess up chicken legs so I wouldn't worry about it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure