PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Chicken legs....inspiration needed....help!!!

Options

Comments

• ifonlyitwaseasier
    Options
    for the drumsticks you can just roast them and then pick the meat off. maybe mix it with some curried mayo (mayo mixed with a little turmeric and cumin)

i like thighs for casseroles and slow cooking, the meat just falls off the bones then :)
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• skipkoo
    skipkoo Posts: 140 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Hi SammyKaye
    Just a quick reply, but I love chicken thighs. They are easy to bone and then I use them as I would chicken breast meat. The meat is much tastier and not nearly as dry and, dare I say it, boring as breast meat. I just used some on saturday, boned and skinned (which just peels off) and then sliced and cooked for fajitas....scrummy!! :D
    Skipkoo
  • sammy_kaye18
    sammy_kaye18 Posts: 3,664 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    thanks guys.

wasnt sure about the thighs but might give them a go with my next shop. think they will be more budget friendly and keep us all happy. was craving a stir fry yesterday - ive never made one! - but i wonder if they would be ok in that too.

keep the recipes for drumsticks coming though!
    Making Changes To Save My Life
    April step goal ~ 25,021 of 130,000 steps complete so far
  • shelley1977
    shelley1977 Posts: 119 Forumite
    Options
    hi,this is a recipe for chicken drumsticks ive used for years,it was out of a parenting mag.
    6 -8 drumsticks
    1 onion finely chopped
    1 garlic clove crushed
    veg oil for frying
    2 tblsp honey
    2tblsp veg oil
    3 tblsp tomato ketchup
    2 tblsp worcestershire sauce
    1 tblsp water
    1. saute the onion and garlic in a little veg oil till soft and add the remaining ingredients(apart from the drumsticks) and simmer for 10 min.
    2.score the drumsticks,place in shallow baking tin and brush generously with the sauce,cook for 25 min in oven gm6 200 deg c.baste and turn twice during cooking.
    3can be eaten hot or cold.
    i use to love eating the left over sauce with homemade bread to dip in it.
    Adopt don't buy
    Rabbit rehome
    Give a bunny a forever home
  • angchris
    angchris Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    Options
    how about homemade kfc?
    proper prior planning prevents p!$$ poor performance! :p
    Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money
    quote from an american indian.
  • badkitti
    badkitti Posts: 83 Forumite
    Options
    I don't tend to buy meat from supermarkets - especially value meat, but I'm aware not everyone thinks they can afford to be as choosy.

I buy a bag of thighs (usually about 10 for 3 pound) or drumsticks (cheaper) and cook them in the slow cooker with soy, tomoto ketchup and honey to make sticky chicken. Ingrediaents are easy ewnough to mix together and if your child helps will they be less phobic?

Or I wrap them in foil with lemon juice and a little oil - tastes gorgeous!
  • angelavdavis
    angelavdavis Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Mix some soy sauce and honey together, paste onto drumsticks then roast.

Dip drumsticks into flour, egg then herby breadcrumbs and roast for HM KFC.

Chicken thighs are a much tastier and cheaper alternative to chicken breast. I use in casseroles (brown the skin first, then add veg, stock and herbs).

I also buy turkey breast, cut into portions to use instead of chicken breast as its more reasonably priced too. I stuff these with garlic and herb cream cheese and wrap in black forest ham then roast.
    :D Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!:D
  • ashbart
    ashbart Posts: 465 Forumite
    Options
    Hi sammy - Drumsticks are really easy covered in BBQ sauce and cooked in the oven and maybe even finished off on a BBQ, if you're feeling brave! Any BBQ sauce will do or make your own, like above!
    Official DFW Member 716 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
  • freyasmum
    freyasmum Posts: 20,597 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hiya Sammy

I made this the other day and it was absolutely delicious

http://www.recipezaar.com/68955

Ingredients

8 chicken drumstick, skin on (the skin is important for flavour, and is so tasty to eat!)
    1 cup water
    1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
    1/3 cup soy sauce
    2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
    1 garlic clove, peeled and bruised
    1 small hot chili pepper, slit open, seeds removed

Directions

1 Place all the ingredients in a saucepan over a high heat.
    2 Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer for about 20 minutes.
    3 Remove any scum that rises to the surface.
    4 Increase the heat, turning the drumsticks frequently in the sauce, and cook until the liquid has reduced to a sticky glaze.
    5 Arrange the chicken on a serving platter, remove the garlic clove and chili from the liquid, and spoon the glaze over.

We just ate them as they were, no need for accompaniments, but we made it before (with chicken breasts) and served it with vegetable fried rice :)

Although the balsamic vinegar might be quite expensive for your budget though :undecided
  • bc3000
    bc3000 Posts: 758 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there...

Seeing as drumsticks/thigh/etc is cheaper than chicken breast, I've decided to make some tonight but I don't know what to do with it! I'm only 18, never cooked anything but breast before..

Any tips?

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport