PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Chicken legs....inspiration needed....help!!!

Options

Comments

• **purpleprincess**
    Options
    When I have chicken pieces, thighs etc, I find the best way to get all the meat off them in the least fiddly way possible is to bung them in the slow cooker! The meat literally falls off the bones when it's done. You can then use the meat for whatever you want!

:D
    Official DFW Nerd no. 082! :cool:
    Debt @ 01/01/2014 £16,956 Debt now: £0.00 :j
    Aims:[STRIKE] clear debt, get married, buy a house[/STRIKE] :D ALL DONE!!
  • apprentice_tycoon
    Options
    Hi sammy, it's a raw sausage, it will pick up chicken flavours as it cooks and the chicken will pick up bacon flavours too so it's all great! it's just like cooking a roast chicken with chipolatas and bacon rolls without all the faff
  • wanting2save
    wanting2save Posts: 1,975 Forumite
    Options
    Dont know if you have a Morrisons near you but they are always doing BOGOFF on packs of 8 Chicken thighs and they are really yummy slowly cooked in the oven (and slow cooker im sure?)

x
    **Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened!‏**

**Life is not measured by the amount of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away**
  • Shortie
    Shortie Posts: 2,224 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Sammy, will do. Looks like it's chicken orast on this weekend then! :drool:

That's exactly why I started looking at alternatives to a whole chicken. After spending £3 on a chicken, feeding DH, DS (4 yo) and myself and only having enough meat left over for 5 chicken burgers, I figured there must have been a more cost effective way of doing it.

Fingers crossed for Sunday!!
    April 2021 Grocery Challenge 34.29 / 250
  • Three_Dancing_Dragons
    Options
    Not very MS but Sainsbury do pairs of free-range chicken legs in their Taste the Difference range which I love. Ideal size to chuck into the Remoska for an hour - instant roast chicken, 1 leg for me, 1 cooked for leftovers (added to pasta sauce or used in next days sarnies). You should find thighs cheaper than breasts, though sometimes finding thigh fillets (which are deboned and deskinned) is more difficult.
    If you think reality makes sense, you're just not paying attention!
  • MadCowMan
    MadCowMan Posts: 343 Forumite
    Options
    I buy big packs of thighs and freeze them in pairs - cooking on my own, it's easier than doing a whole chicken. I was brought up on chicken legs , so have never bought chicken breast anyhow !
  • Karnam
    Karnam Posts: 1,177 Forumite
    Options
    you know pro chefs consider the brown meat (thigns and legs) the best part of the bird. i totally agree, if you cooked a breast long enough for it to fall over the bone it would be tough and dry.

be careful though, some thighs are quite boney and the bone adds a fair bit to the weight if you are buying based on it being cheaper per KG. also consider the recipe, for stuff like curries thighs are best. but if you are doing some like kiev you might wanna stick to breast as i find boning hard and always end up with hardly any meat left.
    :A Boots Tart :A
  • Psykicpup
    Psykicpup Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well if you are going the 'rubber chicken route' then a whole one is cheaper but for any recipe (apart from kiev) thigh is much cheaper than breast.
    I think leg is much nicer tasting anyway & we have been brainwashed by adverts saying '100% breast meat' as if that is the best bit!
    Dont forget you can 'joint' your own chicken to take off the legs for later use before roasting the rest!
    I THINK is a whole sentence, not a replacement for I Know

Supermarket Rebel No 19:T
  • Shortie
    Shortie Posts: 2,224 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Sammy

We had half a bag of the chicken pieces in the roast today and it worked out quit well... For £1.50 I fed the three of us quite nicely... There was only rubber chicken for one sandwich, so not enough for the leftovers, but I think next time I'll go for a bag of chicken thighs rather than a mix as there was tonnes of meat on those, but very few in the bag.

I think it was worth it fo a £1.50's worth of meat for a roast for 3, but if you're after rubberising it, it's not too hot...
    April 2021 Grocery Challenge 34.29 / 250
  • sammy_kaye18
    sammy_kaye18 Posts: 3,664 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi All

Im not a very good cook - i have some recipes which i use and stick to and thats about it.

Im not a spicy person, neither is boyfriend but he likes his curry and we have a meat phobic 3 year old!

So yesterday in work there was packs of chicken drumsticks to be used by tomorrow (which si now today) from £3 each reduced to 50p each and there is approximately 6/7 in a pack so i snapped up two packs for 90p (with my discount - hey that 10p brought me 6 wholemeal rolls for bfs lunch today).

My question is - what the hell do i do with them? I'm more a breast person myself but bf will eat any bit and little one isnt really keen on them, Ive just no idea how to cook them - plain drumsticks dont seem very satisfying.

Im not planning on cooking them tonight - have a joint of beef in the fridge im planning to cook for tea and then slice any left overs up for boyfriends sandwiches so i have a day to get some replies in. (also got to add drumsticks are in the freezer for now as didnt want to risk an opening the pack to find that minging smell again like last month! :eek: )

Also id liek to add - with the prices of food rising - does anyone use chicken thighs? Ive noticed these are good value in Mr T adn theres about 7/8 in a pack. Ive never tried them but do you ge tmuch meat and are they more budget friendly than a whole chicken?
    Making Changes To Save My Life
    April step goal ~ 25,021 of 130,000 steps complete so far
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family